Stans Kit

trebor127
trebor127 Posts: 246
edited September 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hi, new wheels arrived the other day (Superstar Superleggera hub with Stans crest rim) and they do look very good...And a bonus they are running true...I have fitted them with the Nobby Nic EVO and had trouble getting them onto the rim! Has anybody had this problem with rim/tyre combo? Also if I was to go tubeless could I use my standard Nobby Nics? I have read that some people reccomend it and others dont for some reason...I know that I will need the yellow strip and sealant...I take it that it's this kit... http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/37625/Hope_No_Tubes_Tubeless_Kit

Rob

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    The kit is the one you need, but yes the tyres will be a bitch to fit. All tyres are on Crests. Also, beware of the fact that the yellow tape is just too wide for the crest rim, so you'll need to trim it with a stanley knife after its on. I don't know if someone else does a narrower tape. I wish I had looked before doing my Crests.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • trebor127
    I have just mounted the rim onto the bike and have noticed that the tyre is running about 3mm out...it has seated right in the middle but in one part of it is running out. The rim is running perfect. Really don't know why this could be...Could it be a faulghty tyre??

Rob
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    All tyres will suffer from this. Let some pressure out, re-seat the tyre and re-inflate. Repeat until happy. 3mm probably not the end of the world mind.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Pretty sure you need the 21mm Yellow Rim tape for crests, I wouldn't want to be cutting 25mm down, would be a nightmare to get right !
    Trek Fuel Ex 9.8 2010
    Yeti SB66
  • Just checked on the Stans webby, you need the 21mm tape for Crests. Take a look here

http://www.notubes.com/Stans-Rim-Tape-1 ... 54C17.aspx
    Trek Fuel Ex 9.8 2010
    Yeti SB66
  • johnsav
    johnsav Posts: 775
    tyres will be a pain unless you do it properly! Just a trait of these rims..

You need to press the tyre into the centre of the rim as you put it on. If you dont it catches towards the outer edge of the inner section of the rim and the last bit is a right fuc*er to do.

as for the tyre, just inflate to the max pressure on the tyre wall and it should ping out eventually. then let some air out.
  • johnsav
    also with the no tubes kit, I tried it with some standard racing ralphs and it wasnt having any of it.
    I question any real wight saving over a lightweight innertube. Unless you want to run ultra low pressures I wouldnt bother.
  • trebor127
    Thanks for the replies :) After a bit of thought, I think that I am just going to try & master refitting the tyre on these blo*dy rims before I go out and get any sealant etc...That can be a task for me tommorow :shock: Just a quick one though, the rim tape that the wheels come with seems to bery slack, i.e. I can get all of my finger under it with no trouble but my other rims the rim tape is very t :!: ight. Should the tape be tight or slack or does it not matter? I'm not sure whether to contact superstars or not...

ROb
  • johnsav
    the tape that came with the rims you mean?

I wouldnt worry about it, the inner tube will hold it tight once its pumped up
  • johnsav
    heres a vid for the tyre install matey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaLyQGylfDc
  • trebor127
    johnsav wrote:
    the tape that came with the rims you mean?

I wouldnt worry about it, the inner tube will hold it tight once its pumped up

Every time I attempt to seat the tyre, the rim strip gets caught and moves over....Maybe I should try some new tape?
  • Frodo1095
    Frodo1095 Posts: 252
    By rim strip do you mean the black strip with the valve ? I didnt think these worked with crests.

With crests you have to use the yellow tape and that shouldnt be moving at all.

I run standard Maxxis Crossmarks and Advantage on mine and never have any issues getting the tyre on, always harder to get off as it is so well seated in the rim.
  • trebor127
    Frodo1095 wrote:
    By rim strip do you mean the black strip with the valve ? I didnt think these worked with crests.

With crests you have to use the yellow tape and that shouldnt be moving at all.

I run standard Maxxis Crossmarks and Advantage on mine and never have any issues getting the tyre on, always harder to get off as it is so well seated in the rim.

I meant when running with a tube...the strip that come with the rim
  • Even after several attempts if the tyre does not fit and showing out of the rim then it must be faulty tyre or it does not suit the rim. As told before that releasing the pressure out, re-seat the tyre and re-inflating could solve the problem. For fitting tubeless tyres use reliable kit or otherwise it would damage the tyre. Check out with the local shop they might help you.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    trebor127 wrote:
    fitted them with the Nobby Nic EVO and had trouble getting them onto the rim! Has anybody had this problem with rim/tyre combo? Also if I was to go tubeless could I use my standard Nobby Nics? I have read that some people reccomend it and others dont for some reason...I know that I will need the yellow strip and sealant...I take it that it's this kit... http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/37625/Hope_No_Tubes_Tubeless_Kit
    That is the exact kit I used to set up my Crests, try to get the thinner tape if you can as it is easier to fit, otherwise trimming isn't the end of the world. Just stick it in and then run a sharp blade (gently) round the rim and remove the excess. You then need to refit your tubes and tyres and inflate, this makes sure that the rim tape is well stuck down.

I initially fitted Racing Ralphs and have now switched to Rocket Rons, both standard and both work without a problem. It can be a job to get them inflated initially, but just use soapy water and remove the valve core if it is proving difficult. The last tyre I changed inflated imidiately...

When inflating tyres on Crests they really ping in to place, made me jump the first time it was so loud. Has that happened on the one you're having a problem with?
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • sharky1029
    sharky1029 Posts: 188
    The 25mm tape does fit on crests as it says here : http://www.notubes.com/Stans-Rim-Tape-1 ... 55C17.aspx

25mm width fits:

ZTR 355 (26", 650b, 29")
    ZTR Crest
    ZTR Arch
    ZTR Flow

I think it might be slightly harder to fit than 21mm but that kit is cheaper than buying it all seperatly.
  • paulbox
    CRC did do the same kit with the 21mm strip, not sure if they have any in now.

I'd also buy a big bottle of sealant, otherwise changing tyres will be a PITA.
  • trebor127
    Finally got the tyre to seat correctly with a tube...I wasn't inflating it high enough for it to 'pop' into place...Inflated to about 4 bar and then deflated to just under 3 and seems to be even all of the way around...Will see how I get on and maybe over time I will go tubeless....Thanks guys
  • johnsav
    johnsav wrote:

as for the tyre, just inflate to the max pressure on the tyre wall and it should ping out eventually. then let some air out.

hmmmmm
  • Simon514
    Simon514 Posts: 35
    StumpyPaul wrote:
    Just checked on the Stans webby, you need the 21mm tape for Crests. Take a look here

If you click on 25mm stan's rim tape it also does the crest. So which one is best? I've just purchased these crest wheels too!
  • paulbox
    Simon514 wrote:
    StumpyPaul wrote:
    Just checked on the Stans webby, you need the 21mm tape for Crests. Take a look here

If you click on 25mm stan's rim tape it also does the crest. So which one is best? I've just purchased these crest wheels too!

Get the thinner one if you can, otherwise you will have to trim it down.