Post Holiday Blues

dragonontheedge
dragonontheedge Posts: 496
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
Sigh !

I resumed commuting this morning by bike having returned from a two week cycling holiday in Spain.

What a contrast. I have gone from 40c + temperatures and no traffic whatsoever with roads as smooth as a babies bum to temperatures in the teens, the usual shite roads and congestion.

What with the post holiday blues I am feeling sorry for myself. I need a hug !

Ho hum, life goes on.
Hey, maybe you haven't been keeping up on current events, but we just got our asses kicked, pal!

Comments

• Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    "Temperature in the teens" - lucky you, I would cut my right arm off for temperatures like that. "sh1t3 roads" - well, I would berat up my old grandmother with a rolling pin to get roads as good as that.

You sir, are just ungrateful!!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    Dragon, I feel your pain. I wasn't cycling but have recently got back from 2 glorious weeks in the Tuscan hills. Now back to reality, I've got to pay for it, the EPO's been laid off, lots of things need to be done around the house. I need my afternoon nap by the pool about now.
    Wallace, however right you may be. I'm not listening.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Me too...... I actually had that little mental conversation this morning "What if I just handed in the office keys and walked away - how long could I live in the tropics on the proceeds of selling my worldly posessions?"

Sigh.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905
    edited August 2011
    It is bad. I've been to both Italy and France this summer for some riding, and it's just not the same in London. My motivation to get out and ride is really lacking right now, it just doesn't seem enjoyable to be on bad roads, with awful traffic going along what are pretty dull routes.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Cycle heaven!

roadworks415.jpg
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    I got the post-holiday blues quite baldy this time.

Only thing that kept me going was that I was going on another in October....

Not sure how I'll cope coming back to a cold October UK with no warm weather prospect for 6 months.
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    I've got pre-holiday blues.

I'm planning our honeymoon and alternately looking out of the window at a grey W London industrial estate and at Google images of Koh Samui . . .

Making me rather depressed/quite excited at the same time.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I'm off on honeymoon in 4 weeks!
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I've hardly been out on the bike at all this year. Haven't really been on holiday either :cry:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    I'm on holiday this week 8)
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    yep, just back from 2 weeks in Croatia, went from 37C to this. The last week was on the island of Losinj, swimming in the Adriatic, morning, noon and evening!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Haha I too have been to Croatia last month this month I'm in Florida and boy is it hot here, when I get back I'm off to cornwall for a long week then NY and SF for work.

Hating every minute ;-)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    itboffin wrote:
    Haha I too have been to Croatia last month this month I'm in Florida and boy is it hot here, when I get back I'm off to cornwall for a long week then NY and SF for work.

Hating every minute ;-)

When did you start working in the public sector?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    There is one way to avoid the post holiday blues... don't go on holiday.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • medoramas
    medoramas Posts: 202
    pst88 wrote:
    There is one way to avoid the post holiday blues... don't go on holiday.

That's the answer! :D I didn't go and I must say I was quite happy to get on my bike at 5 am after the long weekend (UK). I didn't do any riding during these days, also my route is totally opposite to all those big city traffic struggles: quiet, scenic roads and double rainbows all the way! Woooow! ;)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Up at 6am this morning, three large cups of fresh Monmouth coffee and out on the road. What's not to like about that?

Some fettling now and then perhaps a BBQ oh and maybe a beer or 2 :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • SimonAH
    Whereas I'm washing away the taste of the islands with rum and ginger beer - after going for a little ride and a pint of Stella with Gtvlusso.

Bermuda it ain't though.....Oh well...

• Libraio
    Libraio Posts: 181
    I'm not looking forward to this 'Post Holiday Blues'. Fortunatly it is three weeks before I have to combat it :D . Of to Greece on Monday and I'll be visiting you lot in two weeks time. Any good looting planned for the third week of September? :wink:
    The Commuter: 2009 Trek District
    The John Deere: 2011 Van Dessel WTF
  • SimonAH
    Libraio wrote:
    I'm not looking forward to this 'Post Holiday Blues'. Fortunatly it is three weeks before I have to combat it :D . Of to Greece on Monday and I'll be visiting you lot in two weeks time. Any good looting planned for the third week of September? :wink:

London?

• Libraio
    Libraio Posts: 181
    Yup, spending a couple of days visiting museums and doing a bit of shopping.
    The Commuter: 2009 Trek District
    The John Deere: 2011 Van Dessel WTF