Christopher Froome

ju5t1n
ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
edited August 2011 in Pro race
How far can he go? How far will Sky let him go?
The bookies have him at 10/1 to win the thing.

Comments

• Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Sky will give him his head, but he will likely have his usual bad day or 3 and slide down the rankings. It's already been a hugely successful race for him, and if he can hang on for a top 10 it would be BY FAR the biggest result of his career.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    I'd imagine the odds are also a little shorter because he's a Brit.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    He's suddenly worth more and more popular

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/froomes ... r-interest

Wait til he goes to a Dutch team and Rick will have to adopt him.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    He is British. I HATE him. I AM cool.

No, he's Kenyan. Keep up.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    iainf72 wrote:

Bloody Immigrant
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    iainf72 wrote:

It's pretty mercenary for his agent to start piping up after he does one good ride in two years.

I know he's had illnesses and injuries and all that, but I'd be wary of signing riders who only start performing once their contract is on the verge of expiring.
  • rick_chasey
    iainf72 wrote:

Indeed. I know little enough about him that I could probably swallow that.

Anything I need to know?
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    iainf72 wrote:

No. He's British.
    Through his grandparents.

Just like Zola Budd
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • rick_chasey
    afx237vi wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

It's pretty mercenary for his agent to start piping up after he does one good ride in two years.

I know he's had illnesses and injuries and all that, but I'd be wary of signing riders who only start performing once their contract is on the verge of expiring.

So he'll go to Vaconsoleil then?
  • LeicesterLad
    I don't see leading the Vuelta by 12 seconds after week one increasing your contract value 3-fold, surely? Somebody is going to spend a lot of money on not a very consistant rider if they are not careful.

Fair play to Froome, he has had a great Vuelta so far, but its not cause to believe he is now a GT winner....yet...
  • I don't see leading the Vuelta by 12 seconds after week one increasing your contract value 3-fold, surely? Somebody is going to spend a lot of money on not a very consistant rider if they are not careful.

Fair play to Froome, he has had a great Vuelta so far, but its not cause to believe he is now a GT winner....yet...

Why would he leave the team that's made him good in the first place? Unless he truly believes he's just miraculously got better or that everyone else has got a lot worse because of the (relative) demise of doping in the peleton.

It seems pretty clear that Sky have one of the best athlete support programs in the business judging from the across the board improvements in performance this year from their riders. Marginal gains FTW!
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Loved it when Zola used to say I'm as 'briddish as the neext peirson', mind you it's difficult to here a cockney accent in London these days, ain't that right Bradley (born in Belgium), innit mate. :roll:
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    There is no way that I would sign Chris Froome on anything more than decent domestique money, no offense but his record bar the last 10 days is pretty average.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • timmyflash
    timmyflash Posts: 526
    So does Wiggo have to ride in front of him tomorrow to protect the jersey? How does this work in reality?
    Steel Blue Fixed - Orange Backpack Cover

How do i get a link to a photo in here?!

Fixeh
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    timmyflash wrote:
    So does Wiggo have to ride in front of him tomorrow to protect the jersey? How does this work in reality?

I would be very surprised if Wiggo was to start working for Froome, more than likely Sky will be putting the rest of the team to looking after the pair until the last big mountain top finish where the pair will be expected to ride to their own strengths. This is a good tactic as the other grand tour contenders will have two riders to concern themselves with, just as long as they don't start riding like the Schlecks (trying to unscrew their necks looking out for one another) :shock: .
    Look out for Liquigas putting the hurt on and trying to launch Nibali, however he and Fuglsang are not known for what would hurt Bradley and Froome and that is hard stinging uphill attacks. :wink:
  • I don't see leading the Vuelta by 12 seconds after week one increasing your contract value 3-fold, surely? Somebody is going to spend a lot of money on not a very consistant rider if they are not careful.

YOu don't normally get the main TT in the first week though.

And he beat not only Wiggins, but also Cancellara. Plus he's kept up with all the rest of the GC riders through a few mountain stages.

Sure, it's early - but that is some serious quality riding all around there.
  • So take a guess at the teams?

US - Leopard-Shack or Garmin?
    European? I would think QS would want support if they do think Tony Martin is going to go GC
    Dutch - Not Rabobank then? I guess they have enough talent there.
    French? - Confidis surely not? Europecar to go for a serious push next year, have a decent squad.

Either way I think he will be kept at Sky. He has said before he liked being part of the british set up and was getting a lot from the training and resources. Plus they need a decent set of climbers with Wiggo. Froome was always one of his support guys but various illnesses no doubt have scuppered his chances of a new contract up to now. Shame they are losing Gerrans always liked him as a rider.
  • LeicesterLad
    I don't see leading the Vuelta by 12 seconds after week one increasing your contract value 3-fold, surely? Somebody is going to spend a lot of money on not a very consistant rider if they are not careful.

YOu don't normally get the main TT in the first week though.

And he beat not only Wiggins, but also Cancellara. Plus he's kept up with all the rest of the GC riders through a few mountain stages.

Sure, it's early - but that is some serious quality riding all around there.

Like i said, it was a Fantastic ride by Froome, i can't take away from that, but a potential buyer might want to look at his extreme ups and downs for the last few years, he can pull something like this out of the bag, but he usually screws it up in the end.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd have thought he's just earning his sky wages now. I can't think he's done much else since he signed ?