Who stole the "Summer"

bearfraser
bearfraser Posts: 435
edited August 2011 in The bottom bracket
BBQ's rusting in the garage and freezing my buttocks off , cold overcast and windy AGAIN . Is this going to be the longest winter ever ? And they are forcasting another cold snowy winter. (WTF)

Comments

• Nairnster
    Nairnster Posts: 602
    The Ice Age is coming my friend.

I am learning how to build an igloo, and working out how to fit spd cleats to some snow shoes (well, tennis rackets)
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I feel your pain.
    The only time I know that it is supposed to be summer is when I write the date :cry:

Weather at noon today. 14 degrees, 26 kph wind, cloudy. And its been like that for months. Summer? Hah!
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Nairnster
    Having said that. Isnt winter supposed to be cold and snowy, always was when I was a kid.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,242
    Nairnster wrote:
    Having said that. Isnt winter supposed to be cold and snowy, always was when I was a kid.

bloody well has been the last two winters.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Nairnster wrote:

Patience. And you should treat it as the p-fairy. Never mention it for fear it will appear :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Nairnster
    daviesee wrote:
    Nairnster wrote:

Patience. And you should treat it as the p-fairy. Never mention it for fear it will appear :wink:

You misunderstood my comment i think. I dont want it be like that, but winter is like that, and I expect it to be. Anything nicer is an unexpected bonus.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    Not been to a single BBQ this summer, really missed a session of eating sausages and burgers until I could barely breathe or move.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Top of Cairngorm yesterday: not much, but it was there...
    6096456674_ea4b3015f1.jpg

Anyway, you all just need to learn to barbecue scottish style, here's our street bbq last saturday*...
    5557831705_16beb98e5f.jpg

*OK, it was actually last winter
  • rabk
    rabk Posts: 182
    This year shall henceforth be known as ....... "the year without a summer"

That is certainly what I have been calling it.

Yesterday I decided to give up wearing shorts for the commute as I have been cold all summer - started wearing the fleecy winter trousers - much better :wink:

Sadly in the west of Scotland we expect to have a mixed summer, but the quid pro quo is that we nearly always get a very good spring (or certainly have in the last 10 years) - Disappointingly, we didn't even have a good spring :cry:
  • My mistake, I thought this was the thread about post ride shrinkage. :?
    I may be a minority of one but that doesn't prevent me from being right.
    http://www.dalynchi.com
  • afcbian
    afcbian Posts: 424
    Moved to N E Scotland in April and I can honestly say this is the worst Summer in my 41 year memory.
    Not so much wet, but just cold and cloudy :(
    I thought it was normal for up here but even the locals are moaning about how cold it is.
    Yesterday morning, 7am, heavily overcast, windy and 7 degrees.............7 !!!
    I ride therefore I am
  • Nairnster
    Thats about normal up here as far as I am concerned.
  • Alain Quay
    Alain Quay Posts: 534
    This looks dodgy:

227,681 results found for 'summer' on ebay.
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    Could anyone from down south give us an update on how summer's going down there? I ask as when I mentioned to a mate in Hastings that the past three summers have been sh*t he said they'd been fine.
  • afcbian
    afcbian Posts: 424
    CHRISNOIR wrote:
    Could anyone from down south give us an update on how summer's going down there? I ask as when I mentioned to a mate in Hastings that the past three summers have been sh*t he said they'd been fine.

My sister and Parents are down on the South coast and they reckon it's been awful. Cold and wet.
    I ride therefore I am
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,687
    CHRISNOIR wrote:
    Not much rain, but certainly not that much sun, and plenty of wind. Next Summer is bound to be better...
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Global Warming I tells yah!!

I feel like we ve had really good Springs and Autumns recently but the Summers (July & August) have been wam and wet and horrible. I find it hard to judge though cos I ve usually I ve been sent to some desert in August the last few years!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • I didn't realise that there were so many soft, petticoat wearing jessies (mostly Northerners apparently) on these forums. The weather is what it is, MTFU and get out there! (says the guy who's spent the day lying on the sofa watching films)

And why are the Scots bemoaning the lack of sun? Surely if you exposed your blue skin to the sun for more than a minute you'd be burnt to a crisp and complaining of heat stroke.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Nice here in Greece, only issue is the lack of a bike :(
  • We had a week of summer. Back in March.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    CHRISNOIR wrote:

At the risk of sounding thick how much sun do sunflowers actually need? I ask because I don't feel it's been a particularly great summer here in East Anglia but several of my neighbours have what must be 8-9ft sunflowers in the garden.
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Q. "Who stole the summer?"

A. The dozy cow who was walking her dog and just stepped out into the road in front of me, knocking me off my bike, causing me to break my collar bone and (this is what really hurt) causing my beloved Reynolds 631 frame to get a bent derailleur hanger and bashed Shimano Ultegra 9-speed derailleur and front STIs :cry: .

Although I am not due an x-ray until mid-September I am fairly certain that my bone must have healed itself because there's a ruddy great lump near my shoulder now. Not attractive but if it's functionally okay then I'm happy. My bike frame - happily - can be wrenched back into shape because it's an old-school steelie :D

A winter in the garage on the turbo trainer beckons I suspect.

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Worst summer for well over 20 years.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Apparently the amount of people emigrating has fallen. Why? :shock: :shock: :shock:
  • It has been pretty naff. Wot gets me is the constant, overcast greyness of the sky - not so bothered about temperature.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • No one stole summer 2011.

It never existed, therefore it was impossible to steal it.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Cressers
    Cressers Posts: 1,329
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/uk-14721082?SThisFB

And here on the South Coast it's been a cool, dour summer, but you'll really have something to complain about when the bitter winter arrives...
  • Coldest one for 19 years.
    Mind you, by the time GISS have finished homogenising & smoothing things, it'll be the hottest one on record! :wink:
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Who stole the "Summer

March, April, May, June and (some of) July have been great. Seriously where have you guys been?

The past few years the seasons have been getting more and more messed up/extreme. Spring is now summer, summer is autumn, autumn doesn't know what it wants to be. Usually an extreme of spring, some summer then swiftly changing to winter, unleashing a snow storm of epic 2 inch proportions that cripple our infrastructure and send the country into turmoil.

People need to MTFU and get on with it. :D
  • bearfraser
    bearfraser Posts: 435
    2 inch proportions EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEH