Cyclocross dismount / remount

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
As I'm now CX'd up and planning to have a batter at a few races this winter I've been trying to crack the mount / dismount thing at a run to complement whatever bunnyhopping skills remain from the mid eighties flirtation with BMX.

Dismount, no worries.

Remount, worries.

My plums receive such a battering with each crashing thump onto the saddle that I fear I will be singing in a James Bluntesque falsetto should I fail to nail the technique fairly shortly. The family jewels are being seriously devalued I can tell you.
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I run, put left foot on pedal, right leg hooked over from the rear and away I go - I don't do the whole bodily leaping over the saddle thing... way too much potential for BBoS.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    surely the thing to do is land on you peddles not on your seat, as you can then start peddling again quicker. So I'd go with as you jump on make sure both feet hit pedals then tense legs so you don't hit the seat, start peddling and then sit down. Please note I've never done this, I'm not an expert and if you hurt yourself following my instructions you only have yourself to blame!
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Sketchley wrote:
    surely the thing to do is land on you peddles not on your seat, as you can then start peddling again quicker. So I'd go with as you jump on make sure both feet hit pedals then tense legs so you don't hit the seat, start peddling and then sit down. Please note I've never done this, I'm not an expert and if you hurt yourself following my instructions you only have yourself to blame!

The problem is landing on the second pedal without being on your saddle. If you land on the saddle first, you can carry the momentum gained from running with the bike through while you find the pedals.

That's the theory anyway. Hasn't ever worked out so well for me, so I've always been overtaken badly during the dismount/remount. This practice lark seems to be the way forward.

In the meantime, I use a more comfy saddle - a BG Alias.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Si - you have PM, sir.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • sketchley
    According to this guy, get the inside of the leg you have just swung over to hit the saddle on the inside of your thigh then slide down onto the saddle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqhoBKXvkZw
    --
    Chris

• cjcp
    But his bum hits the saddle before both feet are in the pedals.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • sketchley
    I realized the error's in my first post (which was a guess) when I watched the video. Slow day at work today.....
    --
    Chris

• SimonAH
    Ah! but in sliding form not full on piledriver scrotum splitter!

• cjcp
    :lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • land on inner thigh, not family jewels. Then slide onto saddle proper and engage R foot in pedal
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • SimonAH
    Got a bit of practice in today. Plum crushing now avoided.

Beware however, do not attempt the leap without both hands firmly pb the bars! With the bike bouncing around it's tempting to steady the saddle with the right hand and leap.

Unless you are Danny.McCaskill this will result in a violent tankslapper followed by faceplant. :evil:

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    SimonAH wrote:
    Unless you are Danny.McCaskill this will result in a violent tankslapper followed by faceplant. :evil:

What the hell is a "tankslapper"?
  • sketchley
    notsoblue wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

Item 3 maybe http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... %20slapper
    --
    Chris

• SimonAH
    Vodafone won't let me follow that link, probably because knowing urban dictionary it refers to a foul sexual act involving excreta.

A tankslapper is a motorcycling term expressing massive front end instability resulting in the bars swinging violently from side to side causing the rider to slap the tank. As it often precedes a crash it does, coincidentally, often cause the production of excrement. :D

• notsoblue wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

an extremely ugly armoured vehicle, prone to wanton sexual acts with 155mm howitzers
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Was practicing mount and dismount last night....

As said, easy off, but getting on is a leap of faith.... missed the pedals once, but ah well. Certainly easier to do faster than the left foot on left pedal mount....

This will have to be practiced every week till the race (23rd Oct) Last year I finished last.... this year I aim to improve 8)
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Looks like the dismount is easy. See 39 seconds in :-

http://www.flixxy.com/chinese-bicycle-acrobatics.htm

Simply stand on your seat and do a backwards summersault. I'll see if I can find how to get back on...
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Twostage wrote:
    Looks like the dismount is easy. See 39 seconds in :-

http://www.flixxy.com/chinese-bicycle-acrobatics.htm

Simply stand on your seat and do a backwards summersault. I'll see if I can find how to get back on...

I wish to complain in the strongest possible terms about the video on that link.
    Seeing the huge number of females injured and killed whilst on bicycles, how dare you show a video in which young females are shown riding bicycles without helmets or any other form of protection (gloves, shin pads, nipple protectors etc)!!!
    Showing these women jumping from one bicycle to another must surely be against the rules of the road as stipulated in the Highway Code and riding a bicycle with 15 passengers is foolhardy and the police have a duty of care to outlaw this practice.

I watched very carefully but could see no indication that the bicycle is licensed to carry 15 passengers.

I am sure that the pilots of these vehicles have no insurance and there are no registration plates fitted so they cannot be identified in the event of a collision or legal infraction.

Also, all bicyclists always jump red lights and don't pay road tax.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • SimonAH
    That is pretty incredible

• If it's possible to get 16 girls on one bike you could probably get about 9 blokes on one so I wonder if the UCI could introduce a new team category where the whole team are on the same bike. Wouldn't want to be the one pedalling during the alpine stages. :shock:

Wonder how often they have spoke breakages.