Aaargh!

Headhuunter
Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
Just when I thought I had got used to the Garmin Edge 500 and had more or less successfully used it to navigate, it has all gone wrong.

Yesterday I wanted to load a route into it, I planned the route on Bike Hike as usual, went to download it and was told that I had an out of date version of Garmin Communicator, so I loaded the new version in. I then downloaded the routes but I can no longer see the rroutes under the "Courses" part of the menu, so cannot select and "Do Course" as before.

The routes are definitely there as when I connect the 500 to the computer and look in it, I can see them there as FIT files, but I am unable to see them on the 500. I have tried creating a course on Bike Route Toaster too and downloading that and again, cannot see the course.... What am I doing wrong?
Do not write below this line. Office use only.

Comments

• have a look at GPS babel
    I've got one of the older(original) edge units and was told that I wouldn't be able to use it as a navigator - which is tosh.
    I did have problems getting it to work with Memory Map 2004 but with a bit of faffing around GPS babel fixed it - it also enabled me use it with Tracklogs.

I don't know if GPS babel will fix your issue, but it's worth a punt.
    http://www.gpsbabel.org/
    FCN = 9 (Tourer) 8 (Mountain Bike)
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Not sure what the .fit files you're seeing are. As far as I'm aware they can't have come from BikeHike.

I've no experience with the 500, but with the 705 I've always been able to save BikeHike .tcx files locally before copying them onto the Garmin (into the courses folder). No need for the communicator plugin that way.
  • Headhuunter
    Until now I have simply downloaded the courses direct from Bike Hike or Bike Route Toaster onto the 500 and they appear immediately in courses with the title I gave them. I have downloaded them as TCX files but I think they convert into FIT files on the unit or something.... I then go into courses and there they are, select "Do Course" and of we go...

Now they just don't appear in courses. Both Bike Route Toaster and Bike Hike tell me that the download has been successful as usual and I can see FIT files saved under courses on the unit, however they do not appear when I turn it on anymore!
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Maybe there is a corrupt file that is messing things up.

Perhaps there is something on the garmin forums that could help https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=219
  • Yes I had this on my Edge800. A corrupt FIT file prevented the unit listing the whole directory in the 'Courses' screen.

Offload all the files onto your PC then return them one by one in reverse date order until you find one that doesnt work...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • Headhuunter
    Yes I had this on my Edge800. A corrupt FIT file prevented the unit listing the whole directory in the 'Courses' screen.

Offload all the files onto your PC then return them one by one in reverse date order until you find one that doesnt work...

I did actually delete all the .FIT courses from the unit and one of the files was very large.... I'll try deleting all the history files too.... You're only suggesting deleting the .FIT files aren't you? Not any of the other file types?
  • Headhuunter
    OK I've deleted all the history FIT files and all the courses, then downloaded a new course.... Still nothing showing... Should I be removing other files? How did you go about this? I'm really pretty technically inept and don't want to remove the wrong file! Do I literally have to remove files from every single folder in the unit or just from "courses" and "history"?
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I would think just the courses. Have you downloaded a course that you are sure works, like one of the ones that was on it before.
  • Headhuunter
    suzyb wrote:
    I would think just the courses. Have you downloaded a course that you are sure works, like one of the ones that was on it before.

Yep. Deleted all courses and history, there wasn't much on there anyway, and then reloaded one from BRT that I designed ages ago.... Still no courses visible.
  • Headhuunter
    Well it appears to be a problem with the updated Garmin Communicator which is a bit sh!t. Both Bike Route Toaster and Bike Hike no longer work with the old plugin so I had to download the new version which now no longer allows me to download routes direct to the Edge 500.... It appears to work if you download the route to the PC 1st and then drag and drop it to the courses folder on the 500 therefore completely avoiding the new Communicator software... At least routes seem to appear on the 500 now... Am going to try a short test route at lunchtime. Hope it works. Very crap that the new, updated software from Garmin doesn't appear to work with sites like BRT and BH....
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I've just moved from a 705 to and 800 and am having issues. I used to create routes in Toaster then send the route directly to the 705 in .tcx or .gpx, that doesn't work with the 800, so here's the solution I use:

1. Create route. I use toaster.
    2. Then download the .tcx file to your computer, not the Garmin.
    3. Open Garmin Training Center and ensure you are updated to the latest version
    4. Import your .tcx to training center (you may have to manually rename the file first, otherwise it'll just be called course.tcx).
    5. Plug in the Edge and in training center select Device, then Send to Device.
    6. Job done.

PITA but it works.
  • Headhuunter
    I've just moved from a 705 to and 800 and am having issues. I used to create routes in Toaster then send the route directly to the 705 in .tcx or .gpx, that doesn't work with the 800, so here's the solution I use:

1. Create route. I use toaster.
    2. Then download the .tcx file to your computer, not the Garmin.
    3. Open Garmin Training Center and ensure you are updated to the latest version
    4. Import your .tcx to training center (you may have to manually rename the file first, otherwise it'll just be called course.tcx).
    5. Plug in the Edge and in training center select Device, then Send to Device.
    6. Job done.

PITA but it works.

Yes there defuinitely seems to be some issue with the new Garmin Communicator thing... What works for me is to create the route in Bike Hike or BRT, save to the PC and then simply drag and drop using Windows Explorer into the courses folder of the Garmin. I just made up 2 routes on Bike Hike and dragged and dropped both to the Garmin and they have both worked.... the 500 seems to be able to convert TCX files to FIT files itself....
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,533
    You better sort this out before the 25th :wink:
  • Headhuunter
    You better sort this out before the 25th :wink:

Yeah hopefully... If not we'll just have to rely on good old fashioned paper maps and signposts!