doing less miles

radiation man
radiation man Posts: 446
edited September 2011 in Training, fitness and health
i started cycling back in 0ct 2007 last year, i did 3200 miles from oct to end of sept. this year ive done 2800 miles i dont think ill manage more then last year only 4 weeks to go and im on hols for 1 week, i missed 3 weeks due to fall from bike broken ribs in march, im 50yrs old the tops of my quads ache even after 5 miles, and when i stretch my legs out there is a sound like creaking leather but no pain is this just age i also cant seem to get past 15miles per hr average speed on most rides, anyone else like this?

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Yep, me too. I'm about to be 54. My average speed seems to be 14.4 mph whatever I do. Last night I was overtaken 3 times by the same cyclist!

I put it down to age / declining testosterone levels / loss of muscle mass.

And in true grumpy old sod style, I can't leave without pointing out it should be 'doing fewer miles'
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    I'm 50 and have done about 3000 miles so far this year including La Marmotte. I can usually manage 16 mph for a century sportive and have no problems with my legs. Sounds like you need a rest. If your training is unstructured and you are just going out riding and putting miles in then I'm not surprised you can't get your average up. I'd suggest resting or cutting right back on your riding for now then in November start up again with a structured training programme than includes quality interval and strength sessions. You may find yourself doing less miles but better quality ones. This is what will get your average up not trying to do more and more junk miles.
  • holmeboy
    holmeboy Posts: 674
    Can I ask You're weight?
    I too I'm 50+ and put most of my woe's down to being 13 1/2 stone.
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    I don't know what your woes are but this year I lost some weight and came down from 13.5 stone to 12. Yes I'm faster but then again I'm much fitter than I was following a structured training programme and I think this is where most of the speed increase has come from. I think unless you are doing alpine climbs or you are racing a bit of excess weight is not going to slow you down significantly. Never had any health problems, injuries or aches and pains at my higher weight so you probably can't blame your weight unless you are 5ft tall (I'm 6ft by the way)
  • keef66
    5'6" and 10st 5lbs at the moment. I don't do training, I just ride my bike.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Is 15mph average a big reduction on what you used to manage? What were your avg speeds in the past? Did they suddenly drop to 15mph or were you off the bike for a long time at some point?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • keef66
    I seem to have been averaging 14.4 mph since the stabilisers came off 47 years ago.
  • are you an ex pro rider
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    cadseen wrote:
    Age is no barrier, i am 55 next month. But you have to have the desire to train harder/more to ride fatser.

Did a training ride yesterday and completed 101 miles in 5:15, not calculated the average speed. Hope to average near 25mph again next week in the Picardy Sportif.

You must have been close to winning it then? How close to 25mph?
    More problems but still living....
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Fair play for that time.... it is a strong contender for WWotW ;-)

I have to admit, weakling that I am, no way can I even contemplate going at race pace for that long outside of a race.
  • Don't stretch then?

Cycling is often used as a warm up exercise at gyms. So there's really no need to stretch your legs.

Do you ride solo or with others? riding with a group will help you raise your game.
  • i started cycling back in 0ct 2007 last year, i did 3200 miles from oct to end of sept. this year ive done 2800 miles i dont think ill manage more then last year only 4 weeks to go and im on hols for 1 week, i missed 3 weeks due to fall from bike broken ribs in march, im 50yrs old the tops of my quads ache even after 5 miles, and when i stretch my legs out there is a sound like creaking leather but no pain is this just age i also cant seem to get past 15miles per hr average speed on most rides, anyone else like this?
    The main think is to enjoy your riding. If your legs are hurting after 5 miles then that's going to be hard.
    I'm 58 and also started riding in 2007 - I've got my average speed up from 11.8 to 16.2 mph in that time and it's still improving. Maybe I'll never be racing, but that doesn't matter to me - intervals, better gear and trying hard have all helped me.
    I've had similar aches and creaks to the ones you describe but doing pilates has reduced them to the extent that they aren't a problem. It's not 'just age' you can minimise this sort of problem by doing the right sort of stretches and building core strength.
    Regarding the annual mileage, if you've been off the bike for a month then it's reasonable that your total for the year will be down a bit, but so what?