Moronic athletics commentary

jim453
jim453 Posts: 1,360
edited September 2011 in The bottom bracket
Anybody else finding the channel four coverage intolerable?

Rob Walker is a complete moron. 'The fastest living woman on earth' etc etc etc

I even sacked off the visuals and went to Radio 5, I then had to contend with Darren Campbell. This is not good.

Where the hell are Steve Cram, Jonathan Edwards and Brendan Foster????

Embarrassingly bad.

Comments

• Nairnster
    Nairnster Posts: 602
    Rob Walker has been commentating and presenting sports programmes for 4-5 years.

He works with the BBC, channel 4 and IAAF so cant be considered that inept by the people who pay wages and the governing body.

Brendan Foster is a joke, and says a lot of stupid things. I wouldnt trust him either, ever since one Great North Run, my father and I both passed him on the route, then when we finished, there he was being interveiwed at the finish line, having 'completed the race'. What f***ing ever mate!!

Dont undertstand why the nob from T4 seems to be there though
  • jim453
    Nairnster wrote:
    Rob Walker has been commentating and presenting sports programmes for 4-5 years.

He works with the BBC, channel 4 and IAAF so cant be considered that inept by the people who pay wages and the governing body.

Brendan Foster is a joke, and says a lot of stupid things. I wouldnt trust him either, ever since one Great North Run, my father and I both passed him on the route, then when we finished, there he was being interveiwed at the finish line, having 'completed the race'. What f***ing ever mate!!

Dont undertstand why the nob from T4 seems to be there though

Walker has been irritating in all of the sports he commentates on for each of those four or five years.

Your comment about Brendan Foster is rather harsh, and ironically, perhaps a little stupid.

I just hope they get this shambles sorted out in time for next year. Same goes for the athletes.
  • Nairnster
    I think you need to understand ironicism before stating my comment was ironic.

Foster has said a lot of stupid things, and I have heard him make comments about doping/cheating in athletics. I may be a bit less horrid towards him, if it wasnt for the fact those comments are from the guy who cheated in a bloody fun run. At least I have never seen an athlete cheat by going off the course and hopping into a car to cut off a chunk of the course. ( and yes, I know it HAS been done in sport in the past, but I didnt see it)

What makes your opinion of Rob Walker right, but mine of Foster wrong?
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    Nairnster wrote:
    I think you need to understand ironicism

made-up word...
  • Pseudonym wrote:
    Nairnster wrote:

made-up word...

All words are made up.
  • Nairnster wrote:

Foster has said a lot of stupid things, and I have heard him make comments about doping/cheating in athletics. I may be a bit less horrid towards him, if it wasnt for the fact those comments are from the guy who cheated in a bloody fun run. At least I have never seen an athlete cheat by going off the course and hopping into a car to cut off a chunk of the course. ( and yes, I know it HAS been done in sport in the past, but I didnt see it)

We would somebody who could run 10,000m in 27mins 30 sec have to feel had to cheat in the GNR?
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Coverage has been really poor. The Otis bloke from Gadget Show was way out of his depth.

Michael Johnson has just looked embarrassed. Often answering the question that should have been asked.
    exercise.png
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,399
    The chap presenting, Otis something, he was fine on childrens tv and i've actually met the bloke, nice guy but he's not cut out for this job. Really makes embarrassing viewing and I feel so sorry for Michael Johnson who is consistently brilliant.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • jim453
    Nairnster wrote:

You don't think there is an almost poignant incongruity involved in implying someone is stupid by saying something stupid?

You are right though, my opinion of Rob Walker is no more valid than yours of Brendan Foster.

As far as your anecdote about Foster cheating in a fun run and finishing ahead of you is concerned, perhaps you are mistaken. I can't see that an ex Olympic bronze medalist has anything to gain or prove by getting a lift past a few bloaters in the local half marathon.

Maybe you're right.
  • Nairnster
    Because he is now a fat unfit man?

He didnt cheat in the Great North Run when he was capable of running the 10,000m in 27mins 30 sec.

And possibly because of his previous prowess, couldnt be seen to be either too slow or incapable of competing the half marathon. We saw what we saw.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    I've always struggled to understand what Foster is saying, he sounds like he's downed half a bottle of scotch before going on air.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Nairnster wrote:

We would somebody who could run 10,000m in 27mins 30 sec have to feel had to cheat in the GNR?
    ...and do it so succesfully it never made the papers or anything...
    (he adds ironicalismistically)
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Foster used to be fine. But like a lot of the older commentators, I think they lose their interest in the sport and maybe memory and should then be replaced.

We've seen it a lot in cycling too.
    exercise.png
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    Pseudonym wrote:
    Nairnster wrote:

made-up word...

All words are made up.

so they are - but sadly, not all of them make it into the dictionary....
  • jim453
    Nairnster wrote:
    Because he is now a fat unfit man?

He didnt cheat in the Great North Run when he was capable of running the 10,000m in 27mins 30 sec.

And possibly because of his previous prowess, couldnt be seen to be either too slow or incapable of competing the half marathon. We saw what we saw.

Did Brendan Foster come up with your 'Signature' line or is it all your own work?

Anyhow, for now you can be content with the fact that your live athletics is punctuated by the inane ravings of some type of wrestling announcer and some idiot from childrens TV/gadget show.

I'll wait for the actual Olympic medalists to return and keep the sound down until then.
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    jim453 wrote:

'The fastest living woman on earth' etc etc etc

To be fair, I think him saying that is a subtle allusion to the fact that whilst it was never proved, Flo Jo was permanently off her tits and therefore her record more than a little dodgy.

But yes, the commentary is generally better on the Beeb, Although John Rawling is good. And so is Michael Johnson, obviously.
  • To be fair, Foster is a terrible commentator. Anyone who thinks otherwise probably knows nothing about Athletics.

The C4 presenters are pretty poor. Not sure why they couldn't find some presenters that actually had a background in athletics, or even sport. At least they have managed to get Michael Johnson on as he knows his stuff.
  • Nairnster
    I didnt say I wasnt unfit at the moment.

So commenting about my signature is a little pointless, as it doesnt change the fact foster is now fat and unfit. Me being a bit overweight and unfit, is a moot point in that respect.
  • jim453
    HamishD wrote:
    jim453 wrote:

To be fair, I think him saying that is a subtle allusion to the fact that whilst it was never proved, Flo Jo was permanently off her tits and therefore her record more than a little dodgy.

But yes, the commentary is generally better on the Beeb, Although John Rawling is good. And so is Michael Johnson, obviously.

I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't the first time IN THE WHOLE WORLD EVER etc the adjective 'subtle' has been used to describe Walker.

Michael Johnson may never come back to analyse athletics on British TV after this Channel 4 debacle. Even if Sue Barker asks him nicely.
  • HamishD wrote:
    jim453 wrote:

probably more to do with the fact she's dead. Hence, whilst her records stand, no other living woman is quicker than Jeter
  • jim453
    edited August 2011
    To be fair, Foster is a terrible commentator. Anyone who thinks otherwise probably knows nothing about Athletics.

The C4 presenters are pretty poor. Not sure why they couldn't find some presenters that actually had a background in athletics, or even sport. At least they have managed to get Michael Johnson on as he knows his stuff.

Don't tell me he beat you in the local 5k as well.

Maybe he should come out of retirement.
  • Jim > There's not a chance he could beat me over any distance these days :wink::lol:
  • Seriously, I used to find him tolerable, in the Phil Liggett kind of way. But his commentary on the Beijing Olympic marathon was horrendous and since then I can't stand listening to him.
  • jim453
    And anyone who disagrees with you knows nothing about athletics

probably
  • not at all jim. most people though, most people...
  • Nairnster
    It would appear that perhaps the person who started the thread, doesnt actually want to entertain the possibility others opinions may differ from his own.

Adt it would also appear he does in fact know nothing, or perhaps little, about athletics, as the GNR is a half marathon, not a 5k. I know you didnt say it was, but by saying "5K as well" in your post earlier, it was implied quite clearly.

You dont like Rob Walker, we dont like Foster. Perhaps you should apply to commentate, seeing as you obviously know more than anyone who is currently doing it on CH4
  • Someone should tell Carmileta that its Jeeter and not Jetah, just ask Derek and whats with the shush over the tannoy before the start of every race? Do South Koreans not known when to shut up and actually watch the sport they have come to see?
  • The shush thing has been making the wife and I laugh. I seem to recall they had that in Beijing too
  • jim453
    Nairnster wrote:
    It would appear that perhaps the person who started the thread, doesnt actually want to entertain the possibility others opinions may differ from his own.

Adt it would also appear he does in fact know nothing, or perhaps little, about athletics, as the GNR is a half marathon, not a 5k. I know you didnt say it was, but by saying "5K as well" in your post earlier, it was implied quite clearly.

You dont like Rob Walker, we dont like Foster. Perhaps you should apply to commentate, seeing as you obviously know more than anyone who is currently doing it on CH4

Mate, really, stop crying.

I can't believe I'm going to justify this but here goes...

I referred to it as a 5k because I liked the way you described the event as a fun run in your second post. It also made the whole thing a little more amusing for me to imagine a situation where a fat Brendan Foster was paying for taxis mid race to beat the other blimps in the local 2 mile charity jog (see I just did it again, hilarious isn't it).

Thank you for the free lesson in athletics events. And you're right, I'm off to write my application to C4 to commentate on the next games.
  • Nairnster
    Showing your lack of knowledge again. The Great North Run is pretty widely known as, and described as, a fun run, and has been for many years. Its Half Marathon distance.

You are just showing that you are another of the few on here, who dislikes someone who doesnt share their opinion.

By the way, i wasnt the one who was obviously upset enough that I felt the need to start a thread because I disliked a TV presenter or two. So dry your own eyes and just accept I dont agree with you.