Educate me on brakes. linear-pull etc...

curium
curium Posts: 815
edited August 2011 in Workshop
Due to a recent accident I've had to replace a few components on my Specialized Tricross Sport 2009.

It currently has a triple at the front 50-39-30 and it had a 11-32 on the rear which I've replaced with a 12-23.

The shifters are Tiagra and the rear derailleur is deore lx.

Could I pick up a 105 rear derailleur and shifters? I know I'll be limited to a 12-28 at the back with the 105 but that's not a massive issue with a triple.

I'm more concerned about how the 105 shifters will play with the cantilever brakes fitted to the tricross.

I know there are such things as linear-pull and i presume the opposite is non-linear pull brakes???

What type do I have and will the 105 shifters work with them?

Cheers!

Comments

• mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Standard shifters work with canti brakes but not linear (V) brakes. You need a widget to do that.
    M.Rushton
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    If your shifters are not damaged then you don't need to change them for them to work with the 105 derailleur.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • curium
    curium Posts: 815
    cheers guys!
  • explosifpete
    explosifpete Posts: 1,327
    you will have mini v brakes on your tri cross and they will work with the 105 levers (or any road levers)
    trouble with mtb full size v brakes is that they need a lever that pulls more cable to make them work and sti shift/levers are designed to work with the shorter pull caliper brakes,
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    You can get mini-vees optimised to work with road levers if you're struggling to get cantilevers to work properly. They go from basic Tektros to TRP CX9s - depends on how deep your pockets are. The problem with mini-vees is that they lack rim/mud clearance and modulation in comparison to cantis. For cantis it's often the opposite - plenty of mud clearance and modulation but sometimes lacking in absolute power - in CX they're optimistically called slower-downers rather than brakes!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..