Night ride food.

Mark Bom
Mark Bom Posts: 184
Dear all,

Next weekend I'm doing a night ride starting at Midnight and riding 80 sharp hilly miles. The hills are heaviest during the first half of the ride when I should be most motivated and alert, then ease off for the latter part when I'll probably feel most tired.

I've not done a night ride before and not sure what is the best way to beat tiredness and keep fuelled up?

I'm hoping to get some sleep in during the day and probably load up on a caffeine drink, whether it be espresso or energy drink before the ride. Any thoughts on this?

Also, planning to have a high carb meal about 7 or 8pm, then eat as I normally would on the ride of this length.

Having not done a night ride I'm just wondering if there is anything I should consider or expect.

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Expect to be dodging hedgehogs, badgers, foxes if you're going down unlit country lanes. I have never done one either, however what you have put down sounds about right.
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    If you are having a high carb meal I would have it nearer to the start of the ride. If you eat at 7 you could be hungry again by midnight.

Have a normal dinner at 7 then have your extra carbs at 1030-11.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    And take some lights.
  • Mark Bom
    Tom Dean wrote:
    If you are having a high carb meal I would have it nearer to the start of the ride. If you eat at 7 you could be hungry again by midnight.

Have a normal dinner at 7 then have your extra carbs at 1030-11.

I want the carbs to get into my system and I've heard that it takes a minimum of four hours. I'll be loading up on carbs the day beforehand as well. Its not a question of being hungry, I'll be feeding on the ride and I know what and when to eat on a ride of this distance.

My thoughts are more about keeping the body fuelled and dealing with the shock of not being asleep during its normal sleep period.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Go over to www.yacf.co.uk and try the Audax thread or the sub thread for PBP. They have ridden 1200km last week and they have to do the qualifiers eg 400/600 so they should be able to give you all the info you need. Prob. say cake/garage Ginsters and lucozade
    M.Rushton
  • mercurykev
    mercurykev Posts: 264
    I've done a fair bit of night riding and I just eat the type of stuff I'd normally eat on a day ride; however, some pro plus can be a god send. The most important consideration is to make sure you've got the right clothes to deal with the drop in temperature that can kick in just before dawn. Even of the night is mild it can get really cold.
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Personally I would save the coffeine kick for later in the night. It has a half life of 5 hours or so , starting off with it will mean that you'll feel you don't get a 'kick' when you probably most need it - around dawn....and try a eat little and often whilst riding rather than starting with a belly full of food.
  • Mark Bom
    Thanks chaps/chapesses,

ut_och_cykla - That sounds like good advice regarding the caffeine, I'll do that.

mercurykev - Yeah, I'll be sure to have options on clothing. Thankfully we'll have a support vehicle so I'll be able to bring extra layers etc if needed.

mrushton - I'll check out the audax site.

Many thanks all.