Post-ride shrinkage

Secteur
Secteur Posts: 1,971
edited August 2011 in Road beginners
Why?

(you'll know what I mean if it happens to you!)

Comments

• anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    Because it's cold. Simple as.
  • griffsters
    griffsters Posts: 490
    Seeking refuge - and frankly I dont blame it!
  • Paul057
    Paul057 Posts: 167
    As above, and i think it's possibly something to do with decreased blood flow to the area due to pressure from the saddle. My Mrs finds it very funny! :oops:
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,688
    anto164 wrote:
    Because it's cold. Simple as.
    It's more to do with what parts of your body need the blood and which don't, I think. Exercise in general will lead to temporary shrinkage, whether it's cold or not. It's your body's way of using you blood most efficiently. Clever, eh?
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    i know that one time i went out on the MTB. Was -4deg when we set off, -6 when we got back to the car 2 hours later. Enough to say that my 'he' looked like a 'she'.
  • Duffer65
    Duffer65 Posts: 341
    Oh, I thought it was the pressure of the chamois pad pushing it in!
    Where would you be if you fell down a hole?.. Stuck down a hole... in the fog... Stuck down a hole, in the fog, at night... WITH AN OWL!
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    I bought a trisuit as a visual motivator(weight loss/fitness) a few weeks back, tried it on earlier and if anything, was rather happy it was cold lol!

mantoe :!:
  • Its to bring you down a peg or 2. You feel like a fitness god when you get back off a 50 mile ride only to look down and realise that your not that impressive after all.

Doh.
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    It happens, returns to normal soon after even though the bibs do squash. Chiefly a blood flow re-routing but the cold enhances it.
  • Seat plays a large role in it. I had shrinkage, and numbness quite a lot before I found the right saddle. Now I am still good to go directly after a ride.
  • FCE2007
    FCE2007 Posts: 925
    I'm the exact opposite. Not full on wood but certainly no shrinkage.

I love cycling but not that much :oops: