Turbo trainer with some statistics!

Arghyrou
Arghyrou Posts: 155
edited September 2011 in Training, fitness and health
Hey, turbo trainers I understand have been done to death, but I am looking for a turbo trainer with statistical information after having a go on one at Harrods today. I would like speed, and calories and lots of basics to keep it more interesting.
I would love peoples advice and experiences, budget options if possible.
Thanks a lot,
Arg

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Just buy a normal turbo and put a rear wheel speedo on the bike. It's all the information you need unless you want accurate power data.

It'll also be considerably cheaper than anything in Harrods.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    ...........oh, and maybe a heart rate monitor as well. Get one separate to the turbo or incorporated into the speedo and you can use it out on the road as well.
  • Arghyrou
    Thanks Bronzie, good idea (never buy anything from harrods!!!). But I would be worried the distance from rear wheel, to handlebars would be to far to display the information?
  • I have a Tacx Flow, is about 200GBP, gives you a series of data including power.
    You have about 11 settings to mimic up and downhill...

I am quite happy with it... also, a turbo is something you can use for several years so your 200 gbp over 5 years is only 40gbp a year...

that's how I convince myself anyway 8)
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Obv worth noting that if it costs £200 and has power information, accuracy is +/- about a million percent.
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    If you've never used a turbo trainer you might, after using one a few times, be changing the word "statistics" and renaming your post "Turbo trainers; are they sadistic?".
  • gllewellyn
    gllewellyn Posts: 113
    I use a Cateye V3 computer on my bike - the sensor is designed to go on the back wheel, as it also measures cadence off the crank. Therefore it's perfect for also using on the turbo - using the HRM strap means you also get calories etc - great for justifying cake after a hard session!
  • Arghyrou
    gllewellyn wrote:
    I use a Cateye V3 computer on my bike - the sensor is designed to go on the back wheel, as it also measures cadence off the crank. Therefore it's perfect for also using on the turbo - using the HRM strap means you also get calories etc - great for justifying cake after a hard session!

Thanks alot, thats sounds really good and means not splashing out on a turbo, instead investing on something I can use on the road aswell...
    Does anyones else have any computers that work on the rear wheel?
    Thanks a lot.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    The Garmin 500 for one. It will be fine for cadence, speed and HR if you get a strap. Some turbo's, including mine (Cyclops Jetfluid Pro) do have a speed vs power calculator/ graph but I would expect that P_Tuckers confidence limits aren't all that far off!
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    if you're going to use speed on the rear wheel you need to make sure your tyre is pumped to same pressure each time and you tighten the roller to the same tension each time(count the number of turns?) otherwise your comparison will have no relevance.
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • Lots of good comments around about the Tacx flow, I have one and find it a good training tool, HR is as accurate as my polar, cadence is accurate to my pedal stroke, not sure about the Watts as I have no way of testing accuracy, however lots have and some say its good while others say its way out, me I just have the flow to test power/watts so whether its accurate or not I now know what levels the flow is estimating and I can look to improve/increase these as a benchmark on the same piece of equipment.

The thing is everyone seems to reccomend the one they are using at the time, esentially they all offer resistance as a static trainer, even a basic one can hurt, the greater the specification the more you pay, the flow for £200 is a good buy, at £400 not so.

For many years I had a v basic turbo, I strapped my polar monitor to the bars and counted 25 pedal revolutions for every 15 seconds to give me 100rpm, this was a good way of eliviating boredom and keeping focused through the session.

Sufferfest videos are awesome and whilst riding these you wont be regulating your efforts as they tend to be full gas, its after that you can see what number you are hitting which its up to you if you can justify the extra cost.

My advice would be to make descision soon as now the prices are good but they will start to go up as we get into winter.