What supplements are giving the best results ?

kmcd21
kmcd21 Posts: 105
edited August 2011 in Road beginners
Over the winter I want to train hard so I have every chance of improving my performance in club events, to get that extra boost what is reccommended??

Supplements, I have heard of Rego, PSP??, Gatorade, myprotein,gels etc etc... :?

What is working for you ?

thanks.
Enduro- YT Capra AL1- 2016
Road- Boardman Team Carbon- 2010
XC- Gary Fisher Marlin- 2002

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If you really are training hard, the only thing I'd reccommend is a recovery drink within 30 mins of warming down. Something with a mixture of carbs and protein. Either make your own from proper food ingredients, or you can buy the ready made stuff.

And don't over do the training; build in sufficient recovery rides / rest days.

If you're really looking for a supplement "to get that extra boost" you need to be considering EPO, testosterone or possibly blood doping :shock:
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Most of the drinks you mentions aren't "supplement" at all. PSP22 is an energy drink, Regos a post ride recovery drink.

For suppliments (aids to building strength generally) you're looking at whey protiens plus (leagl) growth stimulants like creatine. Many many places have this.

Check out My Protein for some reasonably priced stuff.
  • kmcd21
    I have taken little interest in any of these products before, I usually stick with water during rides and a locozade sport after a ride or pint of milk. I know I need something more in my diet to recover.

The Myprotein site looks good, tons of products how to make up my mind !
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    edited August 2011
    Every day I take a multi-vit, Vit-C, cod liver oil and glucosamine/chondroitin supplements.

I honestly dont feel any different, but then i've always taken them.

Possibly more helpful psychologically, but I see them as tried-and-tested and safe supplements.

I sometimes have an ultra-low carb protein shake after a very hard session and I always use High5 Zero tabs in my water bottles, but they aren't "supplements".

Other than that, just eat well, drink less (alcohol), train hard and be sensible!
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I have in the last 6 months taking a multi vit, with glucosamine and cod liver oil!

just use water/ribena on a ride and water/lucozade once finished!

As others have said, eat well train hard and allow for recovery
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Duffer65
    Duffer65 Posts: 341
    I've taken various vitamin supplements, and more recently supplements for joint health (dodgy knees), and really couldn't say if they made the slightest bit of difference. I'm giving the joint supplements a few more months and if there's no noticeable improvement I'll ditch them as well. I think eating healthily and riding the bike followed by a recovery drink is the best thing.
    Where would you be if you fell down a hole?.. Stuck down a hole... in the fog... Stuck down a hole, in the fog, at night... WITH AN OWL!
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,840
    EPO
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    To those that are just riding on water / Lucozade / Ribena then suggest that you just need to work on your regular nutrition / energy intake on a ride rather than supplementing your diet. Supplements are great from helping you recovery from hard training - but the magic ingredient is the hard training in the first place. If you 'bonk' mid-ride due to poor drink/nutrition choice, then no amount of expensive supplements are going to help you unless it's EPO or 800ml of 'packed' cells :wink:
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    rozzer32 wrote:
    EPO

+1. It works.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    Secteur wrote:
    drink less (alcohol)
    This is terrible advice.
  • johnboy183
    johnboy183 Posts: 832
    All of the above I guess plus soreen, flapjacks, dried fruit, lucozade etc the choice is almost limitless. As a cheap starter click on following link for a selection of High5 products. This is another company that many people use and will be highly recommended. If I was clever enough, everyone who clicked on this link and bought the item, would generate £6 a time for me!

http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/national ... 237&a=1664

Try them and see
  • johnboy183
    PS
    Should say that the above Groupon site is genuine, costs nothing and you can get many a bargain as I have indeed done
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Nuggs wrote:
    Secteur wrote:
    drink less (alcohol)
    This is terrible advice.

OK, you can continue to drink your babycham

;-)
  • Spanish Beef. I've heard it helps performance...
  • kmcd21
    Great stuff, thanks John Boy something sensible to say.

EPO, packed cells and the like, does'nt this come under the umbrella of performance enhancers ?? not supplements.
  • johnboy183
    kmcd21 wrote:
    Great stuff, thanks John Boy something sensible to say.

EPO, packed cells and the like, does'nt this come under the umbrella of performance enhancers ?? not supplements.

That's a first mr(s/miss) kmcd21. Ta v much. :shock: :? Sure you quoted right response?
  • kmcd21
    Oh yes, quite sure.. JB
    Its a little frustrating sometimes, when I want reliable information on a topic I genuinely know nothing about.

This website is fantastic learning tool. I find sometimes when you post a topic, the responses are out there....

(Mr)
  • colsoop
    colsoop Posts: 217
    My protein are a good company to deal with.

If your looking to try some supplements give citrulline malate and beta alanine a go, after a loading phase they should give you a bit more to your training.

You could buy some carbs from my protein too and mix up your own energy drinks for use during your rides.

For after a ride perhaps a protein and carbs shake.
  • johnboy183
    Kmcd21
    Yup have to agree that sometimes responses are bait leftfield. But generally I've found that if you weed out what you think is crud, then the rest is usually pretty good. Guess that's the problem with human nature.
    Did you try the groupon link?
  • kmcd21
    Yes, had a look at the groupon thanks.

Still got a tub of isostar to use up thou'
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Look, the references to EPO and blood doping were a tongue in cheek response to your original question about getting a boost from supplements. Yes, they are illegal, and more to the point, pretty stupid.

The sensible advice is to do hard but properly structured training, build in sufficient recovery / rest periods, and eat a healthy diet.

Don't go thinking you can buy performance by filling your body with supplements off the internet, many of which are of dubious benefit and could indeed be harmful (Google creatine and kidney damage for instance)
  • FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    High 5 4:1 Energy Source is a good alrounder - contains high quality Whey Protein as well, so aids recovery.
  • CrackFox
    CrackFox Posts: 287
    Duffer65 wrote:
    I've taken various vitamin supplements, and more recently supplements for joint health (dodgy knees), and really couldn't say if they made the slightest bit of difference. I'm giving the joint supplements a few more months and if there's no noticeable improvement I'll ditch them as well.

I've had great results (seemingly) with glucosamine/chondroitin. When I started running I could barely manage 3-4 miles before shooting pain in my knee would stop me. After taking the supplements for a couple of weeks, it ceased to be a problem. It's debatable how much of that can be ascribed to the supplements, as all the evidence appears to be anecdotal. I still run, but I no longer take the supplements.
  • fuzzynavel
    fuzzynavel Posts: 718
    I use My Protein Hurricane XS and have done for a while now...Whey protein and creatine are the main things that this provide me......Drink before exercise and then again afterwards and never fails me......Not truly compatible with my Paleo diet but it is my one cheat in an otherwise pretty good diet.
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • fuzzynavel
    fuzzynavel Posts: 718
    I use My Protein Hurricane XS and have done for a while now...Whey protein and creatine are the main things that this provide me......Drink before exercise and then again afterwards and never fails me......Not truly compatible with my Paleo diet but it is my one cheat in an otherwise pretty good diet.
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • I recovery extremely well drinking a 500ml bottle of rego mixture with water while sat in an ice bath for no more than 15 mins. that is the best way to recover. ( for me )
    It Never Gets Easier, you just get Faster and luckier.

UEA Road Captain

Planet X SL pro carbon - sram rival
  • I recovery extremely well drinking a 500ml bottle of rego mixture with water while sat in an ice bath for no more than 15 mins. that is the best way to recover. ( for me )
    It Never Gets Easier, you just get Faster and luckier.

UEA Road Captain

Planet X SL pro carbon - sram rival