What Is That Noise?

LeicesterLad
LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
edited August 2011 in Road beginners
Trying to pinpoint a certain noise that is starting to bug me, help greatly needed!

Relatively new bike (covered 400 miles) and everything in good condition, but...when climbing or pushing hard, at the bottom of each peddle stroke on the right side i can hear a click, not sure whether its the crank, the peddle or something else?! Any suggestions what it might be and how i can shut it up?

Thanks

Comments

• fludey
    fludey Posts: 384
    Have had similar on mine first thing take off pedals grease threads and refit, then if you have a clamp on crank arm with pinch bolts again remove refit bit of grease and retighten use a torque wrench.....that has fixed mine bu you could be unlucky could be blown bb.
    But every time on my bikes the above has fixed it.
    Felt AR4
    Planet X Pro Carbon 105
    MTB Kona Kikapu Deluxe with a few upgrades!!
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    If its once per pedal stroke then that narrows it down to bottom braket, cranks, pedals or cleats. Most obvious and probably common is a loose crank. so try removing the bolt, lubricate and refit to the proper torque.

I've seen so many bikes assembled "dry" with little or no lubricant on each bolt. Not only can they sieze but also they are likely to come loose easily. Without lubrication, even using a torque wrench is no guarantee parts wont come loose as the "friction" means the bolt wont be properly tightened.

Other areas to check are chainring bolts, pedal to crank and cleat bolts.
  • Had the same on my Shimano 5700 SL pedals - was faulty pedal bearing. Evans replaced under warranty after only 2 weeks...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • I've got a similar noise on my bike, which has probably done a similar number of miles. What kind of grease/lubricant should be used?
  • pease
    pease Posts: 150
    i had a simular creak/click on my 2010 allez tripple, i stripped out the BB greased everything up (as best as i could given that its a sealed cassette) and put back together, checked all thebolts on the chainrings, pedals and cleats a few could be nipped up a tiny bit, but think it was the BB not greased sufficiently.

I use TF2 grease (get a gun and 150ml grease from e0bay for about a tenner)
    Insert witty signature here
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Usually this noise is a bearing in a pedal or no grease on the threads of the bb.
  • Are your cleats worn, or are they relatively new too? I currently have a worn left cleat which clicks each rev. Check also the bolt on the pedal which secures the spring "claw" at the rear of the pedal.
  • centimani
    centimani Posts: 467
    I always suggest this...just make sure the end of the front derailleur cable isn't sticking out and striking the crank as it passes.
  • On my old Cannondale it was the BB. Took us ages to find it!
  • LeicesterLad
    Cheers for all the replies guys, some likely suggestions there, think ill take the crank and pedal apart bit by bit and regrease and hopefully that will cure it, if not...who knows.
  • fludey
    On another note you say it's nearly new? Take it back and let the shop sort it out?
    Felt AR4
    Planet X Pro Carbon 105
  • fludey
    On another note you say it's nearly new? Take it back and let the shop sort it out?
    Felt AR4
    Planet X Pro Carbon 105
  • LeicesterLad
    fludey wrote:

True that, but then the shop is halfords, so i'd rather take it to the LBS, which would cost me. :(