HELP!!

Dr Skywalker
Dr Skywalker Posts: 15
edited August 2011 in MTB general
hi this is realy lame to have this as my first post is anyone coming from the sheffield/halifax way to the tavistock/cornwall way as my van has gone kaput n iv just got myself a bike n now i cant get up there to collect it!!!! pease i would very much appreciate it.....maybe with beer?????

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    1 Don't shout
    2 Always a good idea to include what you want help with in the heading.
    3 If you can't be arsed to use a bit of punctuation and a spellcheck I wouldn't go out of my way to be helpful (but I am a bit grumpy at times.)
    4 Surely a courier would be cheaper than driving there and back anyway?
    5 Welcome to the forum.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 1, I am a little on the stressed side.
    2, That would be a big title.
    3, Im Dyslexic so I dont know if its telling me the right answer or not.
    4, I was going to visit some friends as well
    5, Thank you.
  • This won't help you visiting your friends, but I recently sent a bike from Dorset to Leeds and it cost me £12. If you want the details let me know.
    2011 Cannondale Trail SL 29er HERE
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Ok well im sorry! I have just read the stickies (I didnt the other night as i was in a panic) and yes fair enuf it does say dont say HELP as your title but I have to say its the first time iv herd of this so sorry again. However as a new member to the sport and forum i feel it would have been much nicer if people had just said "look mate we dont say help as a title on here" as redirecting me to a thread wich is damning people who say help as i title i feel is a little off and and unnesesary. Also telling somone that you couldnt be botherd to help them because they havent spelt correctly and puctuated is just really rude. Im sorry if i caused any offence in this but i came on for some help and got abuse insted from people who appear to be vet members and should be welcoming people not mocking them.
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:
    5 Welcome to the forum.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    I was actually being helpful, but to add a bit of explanation -
    Using CAPITALS is considered shouting and is rude. Pointing this out was good advice as it is also against the forum rules and the mods can lock a thread.
    My second point was actually good advice.
    My opinion is my opinion, and if I want to state it I will - welcome to the internet, it's full of d1cks. But I stand by what I said - make some effort and people are more likely to help.
    Point 4 was also good advice.
    Point 5 was welcoming you to the forum.

quattrojames also offered good advice.
    No one mocked you - I think you may be being a little bit sensitive.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Jesus there are some really helpful people on here at times, NOT.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    No offence, but can't your real friends out there in the real world lend you a car for the journey?
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    cooldad wrote:
    welcome to the internet, it's full of d1cks.

How very true.
  • nicklouse
    3, Im Dyslexic so I dont know if its telling me the right answer or not.

and what the F*** has that got to do with anything?

sorry but anyone using it as a crutch or an excuse is pathetic.

i am and have been for a hell of a long time. It is a change, it is a gift, (other things are easier).

there is never a stupid question. but there are many stupid answers. People dont tend to pick up on poor spelling but they do pick up on crap.

If you had use a different topic heading like " I need a lift from X to Y" you may have actually brought some one into the topic who is doing that same route!

"Help" is what most people want on here (or any forum) but what type of help varies and is normally described in the topic heading.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • cooldad
    Jesus there are some really helpful people on here at times, NOT.
    So be helpful and pick up his bike.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Okay guys some serious anger issues, so he did not put the right title heading let's no blow it out of proportion. Don't think he was saying he was dyslexic to use as a crutch or excuse he was giving the reason for his spelling errors etc. Don't think at any point did he try and use it as a pathetic excuse. Seems sometimes people just like to flex their cyber muscles for no reason at times.
  • First off, it is a bike, i'm sure it will be ok sitting in a shop waiting for you to collect it, so panic is not so necessary.

And second, there is an amazing invention by the name of trains, which take you from point A to B. Maybe ride one of those there, rather than asking as a first post for a lift a good distance. Sounds like you just want to shank someone up and steal their car!
  • cooldad
    @divingmoose - notice you still haven't offered to help. And how the hell do you know what people are thinking?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    . Don't think he was saying he was dyslexic to use as a crutch
    then why the F*** mention it?

I only mention it when people try and use it and a reason/excuse.

yes it can make some thing an issue. organization/planing etc. some people do have some real issues but still, spell check and a bit of time you can say exactly what you plan to do.

hell there are some replies that take me many many rewrites/check corrections.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Possibly the nastiest, pointlessly angry thread I've seen on here. Shame.
  • nicklouse
    may be.

It depends on where you are sitting.
  • kinmofo
    kinmofo Posts: 172
    Sounds like you just want to shank someone up and steal their car!

i thought the exact same thing... :!:
    I'm a Nazi Zombie! And You Cant Kill Me!

Out of all the things I've lost, I miss my Mind the most!

dont get mad, get KROSS
  • OK cooldad i am verry sorry, it is hard to tell what angle someone is coming from when you cant hear there tone of voice and re reading what you said i realise I have got it wrong. I can now see that you were being helpfull I just took it the wrong way. Also I read "if you cant use a bit of punctuation a cant be arsed to help you" this obviously isnt the case so i do offer my appologies and take back what I said.
    MountainMonster Yes you are quite right it will wait for me, my panic was just an acumulation of things. The bike was just the straw that broke the camels back as they say.
    nicklouse Im sorry that you feel that i was useing my dylexia as a crutch, I was just explaining to cooldad why my spelling was bad.Iit is true that im not sure of whether its the right thing that spell check is giving me yes i could spend some time resurching it all but that night as i say i was in a panic and rushing.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited August 2011
    see here...

readmes%20and%20FAQs.PNG
    Right in there, it says...
    3) Use proper English, the use of "txt talk" will be looked upon in a dim light. Do NOT post messages all in caps.
    and
    11) Make your topic title descriptive. Do not use titles like "HEEELLLPPP PPPLEEASE!!!!" as these topics are often overlooked, and may well be deleted.

Applying yourself a little goes a long way.

And, to back Nick up, Dyslexia has nothing to do with this...
    my van has gone kaput n iv just got myself a bike n now i can...

You have to remember that how you come across in your posts is how people make their impressions of you. We don't have a real life face to face to know anything else. Sounding like Dappy from N-dubz isn't going to get anyone's positive attentions.
  • Yes once agin I am sorry I did explain that I hadnt read this before posting and that I had started the topic in a rush.
  • cooldad
    edited August 2011
    No worries, things do get a bit messy here sometimes.
    Don't take it too seriously and hang around, lots of useful info on here, and not everyone is as annoying as Yeehaa or as unhelpful as divingmoose.

I don't think anyone actually reads the rules before posting, they find out when they get snotty replies.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    cooldad wrote:
    not everyone is as annoying as Yeehaa
    They bloody well try though :lol:
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:
    We can only aspire.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad thank you for being understanding.
  • cooldad
    After all that, what did you buy?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    :roll:
    A BIKE.
    Moron. :lol:
  • cooldad wrote:

I may not be as annoying, but surely i'm still in the running for most useless at the forum awards this year?
  • Dr skywalker sorry i cant help with the collection of your bike my friend but hope you get it sorted.
    Cooldad, only expressing an opinion on how i thought it was a bit harsh the replies he was getting, yes as he has said he maybe did not follow the rules but no one is dead and we all live to moan another day. I should have started my reply with " Sorry i cant help " maybe i should have read the section on being helpful, sorry.