Cycling.. Is it worth it?

johnboy183
johnboy183 Posts: 832
edited August 2011 in The bottom bracket
Sometimes reading all the threads that involve people's accidents and then all the issues over injuries, insurance etc, I wonder why I ever ride my bike on road. I know the chances of being hit are relatively slim but if I allow myself to think too much about it then I wonder if the risks are worth it especially with a young child. I've considered buying a helmet cam or two to record any possible incidents that will help prove that the accident wasn't my fault. Or buying something like a RoadID bracelet to be identified easier. It doesn't help that said 4 yr old loves riding his bike and occasionally we have to use the roads. I need to keep him safe but don't want to smoother him and not allow him out. We did have a close shave when he was passing someone's drive, on the pavement, the driver had clearly seen us and then decided to drive on. How he missed him to this day I just don't know.
Thing is reality kicks in a bit later and I know I'm being a bit melodramatic and that cycling is generally very safe, good for you, fun and above all is good way of strengthening the father/son bond.
Sorry if this is a bit rambling but I wanted to put my thoughts down.

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I'd suggest that people only write about them because they're generally pretty unusual events (in my experience anyway). My experience of cycling is generally very benign (my stint in London notwithstanding).
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    Your just getting old Johnnyboy :wink:
  • CrackFox
    CrackFox Posts: 287
    Lots of things are dangerous, but being actively mindful of the danger when cycling makes it a whole lot safer. Accidents tend to happen when you're not being so mindful. I very nearly got killed by a bus the other day when I was walking through town with my iPod on, oblivious to everything around me. But when I'm cycling I'm hyper-alert. Obviously, the same can't always be said of drivers, and that's where the danger lies, but there has to be value in your son learning about road safety with you now. In a few years when he's old enough to go off on his bike alone or with mates, won't you feel happier knowing that you taught him to understand and appreciate the risks?
  • johnboy183
    Homer J wrote:
    Your just getting old Johnnyboy :wink:
    Don't I know it!
  • holmeboy
    holmeboy Posts: 674
    To answer you're question, YES
    What's the alternative?
    Stay in the house and never go out?
    Crashed last Sunday which could have been a whole lot worse than it turned out, but with experience and a bit(a lot?) of luck I was ok. Thinking of the over all event, I never feel more alive when cycling wether it's downhill, uphill or struggling home like today into gusting winds.
    As for you're kids you can only teach them how to do things the correct way and hope they learn how to survive the big wide world quickly, as we've ALL had to learn.
  • johnboy183
    Have to agree with all replies. I think at time of OP for some reason I was feeling a bit maudlin. I enjoy my bike rides and have so far been very lucky to have never been knocked off and described incident not withstanding, I don't think I've been that close. I always enjoy my rides whatever the weather, sometimes I enjoy them more after the event! I'm always disappointed with my levels of fitness, climbing ability etc and always resolve to do better next time. But I'm always glad I made the effort and it makes me feel good about myself.
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    Stop worrying and just ride.

You're probably just as likely to suffer an injury walking down the pavement, as riding on the road.

Just take care, be alert, and 99pc of the time you'll be OK.
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Plus 1 to what the other posters have said in addition, teaching your kid to ride on the road will also teach him how to be a better, more considerate driver. I know I am, I was never dangerous but since cycling I give cyclists much more respect and time hopefully he will too.
  • You can die doing almost anything, better to enjoy life to a certain extent. You could get hit by a car while walking and die, have an accident in the car while driving, or almost anything else.

Leaving the house at all comes with danger, so best not to worry about it too much. As the saying goes- Sh!t happens.