Boring PowerTap question

amaferanga
amaferanga Posts: 6,789
edited September 2011 in Training, fitness and health
Thought this would be the best place to post a boring question about PowerTap hub batteries.

I've been using batteries from Boots, but they seem to be a bit hit and miss. Some last ages, others have only lasted weeks. I replaced a set a few weeks ago that only lasted a week. Then the set I replaced them with only lasted a couple of weeks so something's not right.

I'm using the right kind (357 / SR44) so I'm trying to work out if I'm being unlucky with the batteries and if batteries bought somewhere else might be better or maybe there's something up with my hub? Only thing I can think is that maybe it's not sleeping so its constantly transmitting (I'm gonna switch my Garmin on at random intervals tonight without moving my bike to see if the hub is detected).
More problems but still living....

Comments

• Have you tried buying some (better) quality batteries? Say some Duracells for instance?
  • amaferanga
    I thought the Boots batteries were good quality - they're not cheap.
  • guv001
    guv001 Posts: 688
    The batteries in my hub have been going strong for 2 years now - thats riding 6 days a week probably 10 -15 hours a week.
  • amaferanga
    guv001 wrote:
    The batteries in my hub have been going strong for 2 years now - thats riding 6 days a week probably 10 -15 hours a week.

That's way more than I ever got even with the original batteries. Apparently typical battery life is 400 hours - you've had over double that! What batteries are you using?
  • amaferanga
    Yep - always used silver oxide.
  • alan1
    alan1 Posts: 15
    I had the same issue with Batteries from Boots, last a month if lucky, bought some from cyclepowermeters and they are lasting much better, they do a good deal if you buy quite a few at once

alan
  • amaferanga
    They're cheap from CPM until you add postage - £4 to post a few batteries seems a bit excessive.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I've had my Powertap for about 2 years now... Still on original batteries, too...
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!