breaking news

sungod
sungod Posts: 16,434
edited August 2011 in The bottom bracket
wind and intermittent showers in new york

bbc news 24 rolling coverage of the event

press conferences
some drizzle
omg, just in!!! they've got footage of people out walking with fricking umbrellas!
update! omfg, they're wearing flipflops!

make sure you don't miss a moment

i had to stop watching, the epic scale of the event was making me hyperventilate
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    24hr news is ridiculous, they hype up every little thing that might happen and then look like cox when nothing does.

The horsemen of the apocalypse must have been meaning to take the Subway.
    FCN 12
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    I mean - a little bit of wind and rain!!!! We go out cycling in that!

-Spider-
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    That's a normal summers day here in Wales.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I'm actually quite glad of the new topic for saturation coverage, fed up to the back teeth of blinking Libya (I honestly don't give a monkey's about the place).

Felt like a proper British summer today, lashing it down with gusting wind and me stuck on the top of Exmoor pedaling like a nutter, fantastic :)
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    I'm actually quite glad of the new topic for saturation coverage, fed up to the back teeth of blinking Libya (I honestly don't give a monkey's about the place).

Felt like a proper British summer today, lashing it down with gusting wind and me stuck on the top of Exmoor pedaling like a nutter, fantastic :)
    That sounds like my experience of Exmoor. Aside from standing on mountains, by far and a way, the coldest July weather I have ever experienced in the UK.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I just need to look out the window to see similar.

Nothing to see here. Moving on..........
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • After having lived in hurricane central (NC) for a while, their not really anything to mess about with. That said, NYC is a giant concrete jungle and they have nothing to worry about there. The hurricanes have lost most of their strength anyways by the time they get even as far north as Washington D.C., so no idea why this NYC thing is such a big deal for them. I remember waking up one morning as a kid to the roof of our house gone, a full 5 footwide tree laying in our living room, and my neighbors Dodge Ram 3500 truck flipped upside down in our back yard after a hurricane came through.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    -spider- wrote:

11 dead? nuclear reactor damanged? 3 million without power?

C'mon, it's a little more than that.

Power cuts are a bigger deal in the states. I remember I was staying in New York when there was the blackout a few years ago.

Turns out all the buildings use electric pumps to get the water up to all the floors. We didn't have any running water. Most buildings in new york also have windowless internal corridors, which wasn't much fun navigating.

They don't get them very often so they're a bit more reliant on electricity.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,434
    -spider- wrote:

11 dead? nuclear reactor damanged? 3 million without power?

C'mon, it's a little more than that.

Power cuts are a bigger deal in the states. I remember I was staying in New York when there was the blackout a few years ago.

Turns out all the buildings use electric pumps to get the water up to all the floors. We didn't have any running water. Most buildings in new york also have windowless internal corridors, which wasn't much fun navigating.

They don't get them very often so they're a bit more reliant on electricity.

just to be clear, i'm not dismissing the impact on the people affected, just the ridiculous coverage

events further south, where the actual risk/damage was far greater, seemed only a distracting side story in comparison to the apocalypse that was to engulf nyc - even though forecasters had been downgrading things for some time, and the simple fact that storms tend to get weaker as they move away from the equator

there're plenty of serious things happening in the world, but usually away from the cosy, comfortable locations where so many in the media prefer to wine and dine themselves, and where local news is inflated in importance for no other reason than their presence

it's only through the more intrepid and dedicated reporters, proper journalists, as opposed to the hangers-on to the luvvies and pr machines of the powerful, that we hear about them, and rarely, if ever, will they be given the attention lavished on the great 811 hurricane of nyc
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny