Tyres, gatorskins?

bristolmotorspeedway
edited September 2011 in Road beginners
Hi,
I am quite new to this, so excuse the ignorance! i have a 1 month old giant escape 1 hybrid running on 700c wheels with Maxxis Colombiere 700x32 tyres. Having just had my first puncture yesterday, i am keen to upgrade the tyres to something better (as in more puncture resistant). As i understand it, wheel size is standard, so if i have 700c wheels i should be able to fit 700x28mm gatorskins. please let me know if i am missing something!
2011 Giant Escape 1
2015 Genesis Equilibrium SS

Comments

• You've got it right.
  • fuzzynavel
    fuzzynavel Posts: 718
    You are correct in your assumption and I would definitely recommend the Gatorskins as I have had a set on my bike for about a year now with no punctures whereas I was getting them almost every other week before I changed over!
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • I like to avoid stupidly-named products. Like 'Gatorskin', 'Toupe' and 'MegaExo'. I have found the less marketing-orientated and more understated brands in cycling to be producers of the better products.

The Schwalbe Marathon Plus is a puncture resistant tyre with a good reputation, and is available in 700x28.
  • merak
    merak Posts: 323
    :shock: We're talking Continental Gatorskins here, Continental is one of the most highly regarded brands in road tyres and Gatorskins are a highly regarded mid-price tyre from their range. The Marathon Plus is a touring tyre, more than twice the weight of the winter training Gatorskin.

To the OP: I think you're limited to wire bead in 700x28 but 700x25 is available in foldable in Gatorskins.
  • I like to avoid stupidly-named products. Like 'Gatorskin', 'Toupe' and 'MegaExo'. I have found the less marketing-orientated and more understated brands in cycling to be producers of the better products.

The Schwalbe Marathon Plus is a puncture resistant tyre with a good reputation, and is available in 700x28.

sensing some irony here =P
    exercise.png
  • Thanks all for the advice, much appreciated. Looks like my bike is in for its first upgrade 8)
    2011 Giant Escape 1
  • DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    Don't want to complicate your decision but if you want a good rolling resistance tyre that is puncture resistant but not as numb / heavy as the bombproof Marathon then don't discount Schwalbe Duranos.

I have a set of Marathons on the converted mountain utility bike. Awesome. Never punctured in 5 years, hardly wear, highly recommended. I have ridden this bike on 80 mile sunday rides when the road bike was in hospital however, I can tell you that I was knackered compared to normal. They are heavy and soul less (if a tyre can be). Horses for courses.

I have the Durano folders on the fixie in 25c. Can't praise them enough for an all round tyre. Bit heavier than a full race tyre of course but then they are puncture resistant. Roll really well, handle and feel nicely, 25c takes the sting out of rough roads, corner in the wet really well and no punctures in 1400 miles.

Good reviews on them too from the forums.

Just an alternative should you want one.

Cheers
    Peter
    Peter
  • +1 for Gatorskins here. I've been riding them for a while and found them to be very good - no punctures so far.
  • northstar
    northstar Posts: 407
    Bontrager Hardcases.
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    conti gatorskins here. Use them for commuting on the mean streets of olde London towne and they do the job.
    FCN = 4
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 1,387
    I've got Gatorskins on the roadbike and Marathons on the tourer. Both are excellent but as others have mentioned the Gatorskins are much lighter.
  • MarcBC
    MarcBC Posts: 333
    Gatorskins for me too on my training / winter bike. Very happy with them.
  • centimani
    centimani Posts: 467
    Gators on all my bikes...but they're not without their minus points.
    Plus...Light and fast, quite reasonable puncture resistance, quite durable.
    Minus...very slippery when new in the wet. They need to scrub up for a week or so, then they're grippy.
    Prone to slits and cuts, although they rarely get through the casing. My best bike has a gator with a 6mm slit in it, ive been riding it for maybe 1000 miles with no problems.
  • Paul057
    Paul057 Posts: 167
    +1 for Gatorskins
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    +1 for Gatorskins. Currently using 25s. great tyre but a bugger to fit!
  • Thanks all, ordered 28mm Gatorskins earlier today, not quite ready to try the move to 25s yet ;-)
    2011 Giant Escape 1
  • Just a quick update. Fitted the gatorskins last Sunday, sweating, swearing and blistering my thumb as I battled with the wire beads for what felt like an hour...wishing I had taken Merak's hint towards 25c folding tyres instead :D

Two short rides this week, max 15 miles, but I am really impressed with how much better the bike rides. Possibly it rolls better (28mm vs 32mm) but I haven't ridden long enough to really judge.

The big change is ride quality. Road buzz and minor bumps are absorbed a huge amount better. The much reduced vibration makes for a more pleasant ride; just need a day with less wind to really appreciate it!

Good to see that, just like cars, investing in decent tyres gives good payback.

Thanks again all for the advice that encouraged a novice into his first upgrade ;-)
    2011 Giant Escape 1
  • merak
    merak Posts: 323
    The best way to enjoy really good tyres is with a stiff wind on your back so you can roll at 20+mph and there is little wind noise in your ears - then you can hear good tyres singing on the tarmac. There are few greater pleasures in this vale of tears. But you have to pay your dues into the wind before or afterwards.

Anyway, congrats on your upgrade.
  • I too found wire Gatorskins infuriatingly hard to fit, snapping a tyre lever in the process. I did not wish to repeat the experience in winter weather, so took them off. Isn't it crucial for a winter tyre to be easy to fit? Any tyre will puncture sooner or later - it's never a pleasant experience - but with an easy fitting tyre you're just stuck freezing for ten minutes or so then off you go. On a cold, wet roadside, miles from home wrestling with the Gatorskins I'd really fear for my mental and physical health. Have any Gatorskin owners ever given up and called for a taxi?
  • reacher
    reacher Posts: 416
    i'v just bought some continental 4000s , are these a good tyre ?
    i have'nt fitted them yet , i looked at the gater skins myself but seeing as i have'nt had any punctures i discounted them , but i was tempted and still am to get them for the winter training ,
  • mcp73
    mcp73 Posts: 93
    JohnnyV111 wrote:
    I too found wire Gatorskins infuriatingly hard to fit, snapping a tyre lever in the process. I did not wish to repeat the experience in winter weather, so took them off. Isn't it crucial for a winter tyre to be easy to fit? Any tyre will puncture sooner or later - it's never a pleasant experience - but with an easy fitting tyre you're just stuck freezing for ten minutes or so then off you go. On a cold, wet roadside, miles from home wrestling with the Gatorskins I'd really fear for my mental and physical health. Have any Gatorskin owners ever given up and called for a taxi?

I've changed Gatorskins on the roadside before without using levers. All it took was a little thumb pressure to get the last bit back on. Mine are 23cs and I've never suffered with them whilst changing tubes. Have you checked the videos here? I don't wish to sound rude, but it may be your technique that needs refining.
  • Not sure what the problem is with Gatorskins - I've never has any problem getting them on. I agree, its probably down to technique.
  • Have a look at this video.

It's for Marathon Plus tyres, but the process is the same

I've used this technique to fit gators to 2 of my bikes and it's never taken more than 5 minutes, definite reason to take zip ties with you on any ride
  • Have a look at this video.

It's for Marathon Plus tyres, but the process is the same

I've used this technique to fit gators to 2 of my bikes and it's never taken more than 5 minutes, definite reason to take zip ties with you on any ride

Just curious - how to you get the zip ties off when you're finished?
  • ran gator skins over 3 winters now not a hitch +1
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    I like to avoid stupidly-named products. Like 'Gatorskin', 'Toupe' and 'MegaExo'. I have found the less marketing-orientated and more understated brands in cycling to be producers of the better products.

sensing some irony here =P

Quite! Thorns 1, Tyres 0 :D
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • AlanW
    AlanW Posts: 291
    Conti 4 Seasons.................. :oops:
    "You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"
  • ditto on the 4 seasons bit dearer than the gatorskins prob £30 ish a tyre but folding so easier to fit and lighter plus even more puncture proof.
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • mcp73 wrote:
    JohnnyV111 wrote:
    I too found wire Gatorskins infuriatingly hard to fit, snapping a tyre lever in the process. I did not wish to repeat the experience in winter weather, so took them off. Isn't it crucial for a winter tyre to be easy to fit? Any tyre will puncture sooner or later - it's never a pleasant experience - but with an easy fitting tyre you're just stuck freezing for ten minutes or so then off you go. On a cold, wet roadside, miles from home wrestling with the Gatorskins I'd really fear for my mental and physical health. Have any Gatorskin owners ever given up and called for a taxi?

I've changed Gatorskins on the roadside before without using levers. All it took was a little thumb pressure to get the last bit back on. Mine are 23cs and I've never suffered with them whilst changing tubes. Have you checked the videos here? I don't wish to sound rude, but it may be your technique that needs refining.

I've fitted many, many tyres in over 30 years of cycling and the only ones to give me any trouble are 25mm wide wire Gators and some Nokian mtb tyres about ten years ago. I can't see why anyone would bother with "special" techniques instead of simply buying tyres that fit the rim properly in the first place.
  • Slow1
    Slow1 Posts: 71
    reacher

I am about to buy some 4000s after reading this review.

http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle ... ghters.pdf

How are you getting on with them?
    Norco Aurum 2 2012
    Spec Stumpy Expert EVO 2011
    Scott Scale 50 2011
    Scott Speedster S30 2010