Er, peddle up?

Peddle Up!
Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
edited August 2011 in Road beginners
I've been playing with my new toy (a Garmin Edge 800) in direct contravention of Rule 74 :)

On my first test rides it's immediately apparent that I’m not peddling enough (see log extract below).

Untitled-1copy.jpg
Is this unusual? Watching the pro riders it seems that there are almost always peddling unless there is a risk of spinning out e.g. during a long descent. So I guess I should take a cue from my forum moniker and er, peddle up. :oops:
Purveyor of "up" :)

Comments

• fuzzynavel
    fuzzynavel Posts: 718
    The Garmins are great for this type of analysis.....I have the older 705..

One word of warning about the cadence... keep an eye on your pedal magnet as I have lost count of how many have fallen off my bike...
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Most of the time I'm pedalling. When I'm not it is generally either because I'm stationary or that I'm descending slowly due to traffic.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    When you compare the cadence to your speed looks quite normal. As you get more used to riding your average should come up as you get more efficient.

One thing I would do is enable your Garmin for elevation corrections as should be more accurate.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    That's cos you're peddling instead of pedaling. Someone had to say it.
    Don't enable elevation corrections, it has a barometer, just set your home altitude and it's pretty darn accurate.
    RE. cadence, you might need to change the settings to "do not include zeros" in the data recording settings.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • It looks like you take quite a few breaks, which are giving you false zero readings, and giving you huge plunges in your graphs. As the poster above said, change the setting to not include zero cadence points, and you should see a bit more normalised of a graph.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Pro's ride on closed roads and dont have to stop at junctions all the time. I really wouldnt worry about it at all. As said though - changing the settings to stop recording the zero's should give you a better idea of your normal cadence which as we all know is the important figure.