slightly scientific video,of STEEL,vs ALUMINIUM vs CARBON

timmyturbo
timmyturbo Posts: 617
edited August 2011 in The bottom bracket
quick video in German , but the numbers are English coherent. when he stands on the carbon frame gently and it snaps i just wince :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvk63bmV ... re=related
Britannia waives the rules

Comments

• fludey
    fludey Posts: 384
    Top tip from the video then, don't stand on your carbon frame in the way it's nit meant to be stressed and what ever ya do don't let some german chase you with an angle grinder!,

Thank god he never took it out in the rain as that's the biggest threat to carbon in this country :lol:
    Felt AR4
    Planet X Pro Carbon 105
    MTB Kona Kikapu Deluxe with a few upgrades!!
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Aye, I'm sure I've written this on here before, but whne Gordon Murray went out looking for investment for McLaren to build the MP4-4 he handed a sheet of carbon fiber to a potential investor the wrong way round, strangely enough that investor didn't give him any money.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • RowCycle
    RowCycle Posts: 367
    How's that vaguely scientific?

He stressed 3 frames made of different materials in ways which they are not designed to be stressed nor will be stressed in such way in normal operation.
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    edited August 2011
    This old, well known, fatigue test is worth revisiting:

http://sheldonbrown.com/rinard/EFBe/fra ... e_test.htm

It actually tests frames sensibly, with interesting results (unlike that idiotic video). Bear in mind that when conducted, CFRP monocoque frames were in their infancy.
  • timmyturbo
    RowCycle wrote:

He stressed 3 frames made of different materials in ways which they are not designed to be stressed nor will be stressed in such way in normal operation.

i said slightly for gods sake calm down
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    RowCycle wrote:

True, he stressed the frames in ways they are not designed to be stressed, I can see no real-world scenario where an angle grinder would attack your frame, but the one where he drops a weight onto the frame could describe the bike falling against a wall or something being dropped onto the frame e.g. putting the bike in the car and a tool box falling onto the frame.

The point I'm trying to make is that the bike is designed to be stressed in certain ways, but in the real world, other stresses happen and the frame material should be strong enough to cope with that.

An impact that would dent a steel tube could crack a carbon one and if you are in the middle of nowhere, that could be ride ending.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    timmyturbo wrote:
    RowCycle wrote:

i said slightly for gods sake calm down
    He doesn't sound like the one that needs to calm down...
  • timmyturbo
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    RowCycle wrote:

True, he stressed the frames in ways they are not designed to be stressed, I can see no real-world scenario where an angle grinder would attack your frame, but the one where he drops a weight onto the frame could describe the bike falling against a wall or something being dropped onto the frame e.g. putting the bike in the car and a tool box falling onto the frame.

The point I'm trying to make is that the bike is designed to be stressed in certain ways, but in the real world, other stresses happen and the frame material should be strong enough to cope with that.

An impact that would dent a steel tube could crack a carbon one and if you are in the middle of nowhere, that could be ride ending.

fair enough , i have crashed a few times , though never on carbon, my steel 531c frame at 20 mph into my front door with soaking wet brakes , frame was still used for 2 years and sold , titanium 20 mph into the back of a car , result 15 rake backwards shunt , scrap frame . i thought the video was funny , somewhat like the "WILL IT BLEND VIDEOS" like this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAl28d6tbko

cheers