help, with 2x10 problem

delcol
delcol Posts: 2,848
edited August 2011 in MTB general
does anyone know if this will work with a 2x10 set up and if it will stop my chain from dropping.
black spire chain tensioner,,..
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=54360
bike is a santacruz butcher size med running a elka stage 5 coil shock.
sram x9 2x10 drive chain,..
the chain keeps dropping off the front chain ring,, front mech is set up right the limit screws are set right..
crank is a raceface turbine dual setup with bash ring..
the chain drops and ends up stuck between the chanring and iscg05 tabs..
i need to sort this out asap as i have a mtb trip fast approaching....
thanks...

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Chain too long?

But the Blackspire should work.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    remember that when you fit the stinger, the length of chain required increases.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I use the E13 Heim 2 RS chain guide - works pretty well.

If you are dropping off the little ring all the time adjust the chain length but also keep in the big ring in the rough terrain - keeps the chain tension and stops the chain being lost into the no mans land between the ISCG tabs and the granny.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so the chain is comming off the top? and you are thinging about fitting something under the rings.

sounds like poor set up to me.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Frodo1095
    Frodo1095 Posts: 252
    I am getting one of these fitted to mine http://www.mountainracingproducts.com/mrp/2x/ designed specifically for 2x10 set ups.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    oh poooooooop i think i have overlookked something here, :oops: :oops: :oops:

i built the bike up for my trip to whistler in may (brand new bike with new drive train)
    it had a long cage carbon sram x9 mech 10 sp, on my first day first ride i got about 6 mile into the trails at lost lake when my mech exploded (it turned out to be faulty the circlip that holds the mech on were the spring is broke, i got a new mech under warrentywhen i got back to the uk) so i had to go straight into the village (chainless) and get a new mech the new mech was a mid cage one i dont know if the shop who fitted the mech altered the chain length....
    so could this be my problem the orig mech was a long cage one and the replacement one is a med cage one...
    so do you think it would be worth fitting a chain device of some kind or do i just loose a few links off the chain...
    i need to get this sorted asap as i go back to whistler next week...
    thanks again for your help.. .
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    mech cage length has nothing to do with chain length.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown