Kit for long ride - Should I break my chain?

irishgary1978
irishgary1978 Posts: 46
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I am doing the isle of man end 2 end in 3 weeks and am starting to get my kit together for the ride (75km). I was thinking of splitting my chain now and putting one of the quick links in, is this stupid? Should I just bring a chain tool and a few spare links just in case?

Any other advice on what I should pack?

So far I was thinking:

> Pump
> Spare Inner Tube
> Adjustable spanner
> Multi Tool
> Tyre Levers
> Puncture repair kit
> Cable Ties
> Tape
> Quick Link & Chain Tool

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well I would put a pre lengthed chain with split link in the pack and fit a new chain before the ride.

why an adjustable spanner?

allen keys what ever sizes are needed.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • as nick said fit a new chain before the ride, and take a few powerlinks and a small amount of extra chain with you.

i'd also consider adding a spare derailleur hanger, and something like a leatherman/gerber/some other multitool based around a pair of pliers.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    for 75K I wouldn't bother with a new or spare chain, just carry a chainbreaker, and some powerlinks.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I always fit my chains now with 2 powerlinks seperated by one short inner link, that gives me a spare link and powerlink with just the loss of the lowest cog and I only need to carry one powerlink spare! I do usually carry a short length of chain and 3 powerlinks though as that's enough to repair 2 breaks.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Cheers Guys, that is all great advice, will make sure I have everything I need!

Good job CRC have 10% off this weekend... UK10% is the voucher code if you need it!

Thanks again,
    Gary
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I always fit my chains now with 2 powerlinks seperated by one short inner link, that gives me a spare link and powerlink with just the loss of the lowest cog and I only need to carry one powerlink spare! I do usually carry a short length of chain and 3 powerlinks though as that's enough to repair 2 breaks.

Simon
    That doesn't make any sense. If your chain already has two powerlinks in it, and breaks, then you're still going to need another powerlink to fix it, meaning you will now have a chain with three powerlinks in it.

I don't see your logic.
  • Fit a new chain, carry the old one as a spare?