Vuelta Stage 8 **SPOILER**

inkyfingers
inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
edited August 2011 in Pro race
66KM to go, break of 4 has 5 minutes, best placed rider in the break is Haussler. Katusha are chasing. Oscar Freire & Tyler Farrar have abandoned.

Anton struggling off the back already, Wiggins also sitting quite near the back but not sure why.
"I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)

Comments

• camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    66KM to go, break of 4 has 5 minutes, best placed rider in the break is Haussler. Katusha are chasing. Oscar Freire & Tyler Farrar have abandoned.

Anton struggling off the back already, Wiggins also sitting quite near the back but not sure why.

Wiggins 7th wheel now. Keeping close to front.
  • inkyfingers
    Bit of echelon action, small group has fallen off the back including some domestiques with lots of bottles but no team mates to hand them out to! Can't see any big names in there.

Looks like it's coming back together though.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    La Siesta a Espana
  • They ain't waiting for the final climb.
    Attacks going off all over the place.
    Poels off up the road, trying to go one better.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Wiggins very badly placed after that descent.
  • afx237vi
    J-Rod... didn't see that coming.
  • afx237vi
    Wiggo 23" behind, although it was alll one line with not many gaps. Interesting to see what the commissaire do with that one.
  • Dull finish that!
    Nibali went for about 32 seconds, too.
    Pretty big loses off a 2 km wall.

The return of Igor Anton.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • inkyfingers
    Good stuff from J Rod, but can't help but think that was just another good stage winning performance; after the TT he's going to need to take a couple of minutes more back at least to have any hope of winning overall. He's great at these late attacks, but can he attack earlier on a big summit finish and take minutes? I'm not so sure but look forward to finding out.

Not bad from Wiggins, when I saw him at the back with just a few KMs to go I thought he'd lose a minute today. He'll be top 10, maybe even top 5 after the TT if he doesn't have a bad day tomorrow.
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    Considering how far from Wiggins' comfort zone that was I think he did admirably. I think 23 seconds is harsh I think he was on the back of the group that came in at 17 seconds. Hopefully he will perform well in TT and take long time from climbers.

Nibali has a shocker, result of crash yesterday maybe?
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    Not bad from Wiggins, when I saw him at the back with just a few KMs to go I thought he'd lose a minute today. He'll be top 10, maybe even top 5 after the TT if he doesn't have a bad day tomorrow.

he should be a fair bit clear after the tt
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Different day for Kittel today, coming last 6 minutes after the autobus had gone over the finish line. Had two team-mates with him. Maybe deservedly celebrating hard last night? :)
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Different day for Kittel today, coming last 6 minutes after the autobus had gone over the finish line. Had two team-mates with him. Maybe deservedly celebrating hard last night? :)

Nah. The sign of a true sprinter.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Igor Anton making a come-back, rolling in 6th today. I Hope So.
  • JamesFree
    JamesFree Posts: 703
    If team Sky's TTT had'nt stuffed up so badly it would of been interesting to see where wiggins would have been placed overall after the TT on Monday!

I think he is having a pretty good ride!
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    if wiggo doesn't lose anymore time tomorrow he could maybe take red with a good ride. Its going to be good watching j rod trying to come back after the tt. He lose over 5 mins last year to the winner
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I was about 400m from the finish. Brad was looking seriously uncomfortable as he came through - good to hear he didn't lose much.

That ramp was absolutely mental
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Choppered wrote:
    I was about 400m from the finish. Brad was looking seriously uncomfortable as he came through - good to hear he didn't lose much.

That ramp was absolutely mental

Anyone else notice how he almost collapsed off the bike as he crossed the line? Good effort!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Rodriguez is on fire. The guy is a pure racer. King of the steepest. I can see him destroying them on Angliru.

Nice job Anton.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    j-rod will need to destroy them after the tt
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799