My second hand trek 1200,dont judge a book by its..(UPDATED)

Theomerchant
Theomerchant Posts: 187
edited May 2012 in Your road bikes
I used to have an allez sport 2011 but I got knocked off that by a good ol' car driver writing it off, So whilst waiting for my insurace claim to process I bought this trek 1200 second hand from my LBS for £100...
6083623155_3a11614ae9_z.jpg

After respraying it and putting the working parts from my specialized Allez Sport on it I started to take quite a shine to my gap filler of a road bike, So I decided to invest a bit more into the bike with some new bars and wheels and voila!

6083624739_910c9ef4f5_z.jpg

It rides like a dream and can go for miles & miles & miles and im chuffed to bits with it!

Spec as follows!!

FRAME Trek 1200 58cm
FORK Specialized FACT carbon, carbon legs, aluminum crown and steerer
HEADSET 1 1/8" sealed Cr-Mo bearings integrated w/ headset, 20mm alloy cone spacer with 20mm of spacers
STEM Specialized Elite-Set, 3D forged alloy, 4-position adjustable, 4-bolt 31.8mm clamp
HANDLEBARS Specialized Shallow Drop Bar
TAPE Fizik
FRONT BRAKE Shimano Sora
REAR BRAKE Shimano Sora
BRAKE LEVERS Shimano tiagra STI
FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano 105
REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano 105
SHIFT LEVERS Shimano tiagra STI
CASSETTE Shimano HG-50, 9-speed, 12-25t
CHAIN KMC X9
CRANKSET Bontrager Shift
CHAINRINGS 53 x 42 x 30
BOTTOM BRACKET With crankset
PEDALS Look Keo Classic
FRONT WHEEL Mavic ksyrium elite 18h
REAR WHEEL Mavic ksyrium elite 20h
FRONT TIRE Specialized All Condition elite armadillo , 700x23c
REAR TIRE Specialized All Condition elite armadillo , 700x23c
INNER TUBES Standard presta valve
SADDLE BG Specialized Avatar 143mm
SEATPOST Specialized Sport, alloy, two-bolt clamp, 27.2mm
SEAT BINDER Alloy, 31.8mm

I have changed a few parts to the bike, restickered the wheels, got a longer stem for a more comfortable ride (im 6'3"!!!). So here she is with a updated spec after the photo...

6798485384_0d78f2d183_z.jpg

Note; I dropped the bars a bit after the photo, Didnt like the hoods sticking up in the air like that :P, Also I know it deserves a black chainset but I had this one knocking around, wanted a double instead of a triple and cant afford a new chainset just yet :D

FRAME Trek 1200 58cm
FORK Dolan Race Fork
HEADSET Cane Creek S3 with 5mm spacer
STEM Kore Race 130mm reach 6 Deg Drop
HANDLEBARS Specialized Shallow Drop Bar
TAPE Fizik Microtex Gloss Black
FRONT BRAKE Shimano Sora
REAR BRAKE Shimano Sora
BRAKE LEVERS Shimano tiagra STI
FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano 105
REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano Sora 9 Speed
SHIFT LEVERS Shimano tiagra STI
CASSETTE Shimano HG-50, 9-speed, 12-25t
CHAIN Shimano Ultegra
CRANKSET Shimano Sora
CHAINRINGS 50x34
BOTTOM BRACKET Shimano 105 Hollowtech
PEDALS Look Keo Classic
FRONT WHEEL Mavic ksyrium elite 18h
REAR WHEEL Mavic ksyrium elite 20h
FRONT TIRE Schwable Ultremo ZX, 700x23c
REAR TIRE Schwable Ultremo ZX, 700x23c
INNER TUBES Specialized presta valve
SADDLE BG Toupe Elite 143mm
SEATPOST Specialized Sport, alloy, two-bolt clamp, 27.2mm
SEAT BINDER Alloy, 31.8mm

Comments

• Nairnster
    Nairnster Posts: 602
    I like it.

Shame about the allez, but for what is probably no more than about £200, you have a pretty nice looking and no doubt functional bike there.
  • kamil1891
    kamil1891 Posts: 658
    Nice classic frame, well painted :)
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    I still have a 2006 Trek 1200 and it still rides very well.I`ve competed in 3 triathlons and done a sportive on mine.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • BigLee1
    BigLee1 Posts: 449
    That looks really good :D I`ve got a Pilot 1.2 '06 :)
  • lovely! the first piccie imo is UGLY as sin lol.

2nd piccie looks epic!
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • Well, seen as it takes full length mudguards you got no excuses for not going out in poor winter weather.
  • Thanks! I appreciate the photos look like a weight watchers ad (first being all grainy in bad light and second with a proper flash and good lighting).

Considering how much has been spent on it, its an amazing bike for the money!!....it's so good I'm riding from Birmingham to Aberystwyth on it tomorrow...can't wait :D
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    Looks good I like it :)
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Nice, but even better would be to take the decals off the wheels. I've done exactly that to my pair of Ksyriums. Frankly, those decals are gash.

They will look smart all black, very much like the frame.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Great frames. I bought a 2006 Trek 1500 frame a couple of months back to build up and use through the winter, since i've built it up i can't stay off it and i'm lucky to have a Look 585 and a Viner Perfecta which just haven't been used since.
  • JRooke
    JRooke Posts: 243
    really nice work, like the story and the result, projects like that are so rewarding
  • I must say I enjoy the pics and stories of fixing up budget bikes every bit as much as the expensive exotic stuff.

Shows what yo can do with a bit of imagination. 8)
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Excellent! Well done. I bought my Trek 1200 new in 2005 and I've done two Fred Whittons, five Cumberland Challenges, a Jennings Rivers Ride and loads of shorter rides on it. I've fitted panniers and full-length mudguards and gone touring on it, and I still like it more and more. Your mods have solved the only thing I don't like about it: those very deep drop, angular bars. Your new ones are much nicer.

Now, can you help, please? I'm refurbishing it with new BB, new wheels and a new headset. Can you tell me where to get a new headset and how to identify the right model? The Trek website is unhelpful and I don't really know where to start looking. Or can I just get the bearing races out? (The problem with it is that it has developed a "straight ahead" notch in the steering.)

You seem to have replaced the headset so if you can give me the benefit of your experience I'd be very grateful. Thanks! :)
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,804
    good job
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • ScandalXK wrote:
    ...Can you tell me where to get a new headset and how to identify the right model?...
    Sorted - a Cane Creek S3 fits. With new wheels, a new BB and a new headset the bike now feels like brand new. Now...should I paint mine black like Theomerchant's???
  • looe
    looe Posts: 12
    I also have a Trek 1200 SL and I love it. A very good alu bike. Upgraded the wheels to Hope Hoops.
    CUBE Touring 2010
    Trek 1200
  • Thanks for all the kind comments guys. Im doing my first season racing on it this year and cant wait! got my first race on the 24th so should be good :D .
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Nice one, this is a perfect sort of bike for amateur racing.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Picked up my (new to me 1200) last night the bike is immaculate having been used 5 times from new!!! A few modifications to do tonight, will post some pics later. Dunno how to do it on xn iphone
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    For anyone that is interested here are the pictures of my 1200sl. It isnt much but i am chuffed with it. It has hardly been used, it is like new. I have upgraded or changed the wheels to RS10's with Specialized Espoir Elite tyres and spesh tubes. Handle bars changed to Ritchley carbon composites with a 90mm Ritchley stem and FSA red tape. Also added my look keo classic pedals. I know the bars look a little high and the saddle a little low, but i want to ride the bike properly before setting it up and dropping the bars. Few more mods to come hopefully including a more uncomfortable but pimp saddle.

Before:

After: