Programmed legs?

neilo23
neilo23 Posts: 783
The last 25 years of my life have consisted of periods of hard training and monk-like habits (no pun intended) with periods of intense self-destruction. However, after each return to civilised behaviour it doesn't take very long for my legs to get used to riding relatively hard and for reasonably long rides, regardless of the state of my general fitness. Sometimes I've let myself go for months and after a week or 2 back on the bike everything's pretty much back to normal.

Can it be that my leg muscles are somehow "programmed" for the rest of my life? That they've somehow changed their natural state from years of riding a bike (I don't do other sports)? They lungs and other vital organs always take a week or 2 longer to catch up.

If it's simply a part of my natural physical make-up I dread to think what I could have done on a bike if I'd been a good boy my adult life ;-)

Comments

• Murr X
    Murr X Posts: 258
    neilo23 wrote:
    Can it be that my leg muscles are somehow "programmed" for the rest of my life?
    Without bothering to get into details as to why, yes this is very true to a large extent and happens with anybody.

Murr X
  • neilo23
    So I don't need to get melancholy about the Tour I would have won if I'd had one less beer on THAT evening? ;-)
  • IMHO you've built up the muscle groups so they're there to be used again, whereas your cardiovascular system loses conditioning after you stop training and so needs time to get back to where it once was.
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    IMHO you've built up the muscle groups so they're there to be used again, whereas your cardiovascular system loses conditioning after you stop training and so needs time to get back to where it once was.

Ah, more "opinions" on questions which have a definitive answer. If you don't know, don't answer FFS. Like me.

Would be interested in Murr X explaining though.
  • roddixon
    roddixon Posts: 100
    P_Tucker wrote:
    IMHO you've built up the muscle groups so they're there to be used again, whereas your cardiovascular system loses conditioning after you stop training and so needs time to get back to where it once was.

Ah, more "opinions" on questions which have a definitive answer. If you don't know, don't answer FFS. Like me.

Bit harsh mate, open forum and all.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    roddixon wrote:
    P_Tucker wrote:

Does the fact that it's 'open' somehow justify misinformation?
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • roddixon
    roddixon Posts: 100
    Herbsman wrote:
    roddixon wrote:
    P_Tucker wrote:

If you're looking for a scientific explaination for a perceived physiological effect then its probably better to go somewhere else, otherwise be prepared for people who don't have a scientific background to put in there 2 pence worth. Misinformation is rife and that is a well recognised phenomenom in forums/the internet. Get used to it.
  • B3rnieMac
    B3rnieMac Posts: 384
    My personal trainer when I was into weightlifting always referred to muscle memory, I remember an example of his being Christian bale being quite muscular, then being able to go all rasmussen for The Machinist, then a couple of months later was able to put on stones of muscle to play batman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_mem ... h_training)
  • P_Tucker
    roddixon wrote:
    Herbsman wrote:
    roddixon wrote:
    P_Tucker wrote:

If you're looking for a scientific explaination for a perceived physiological effect then its probably better to go somewhere else, otherwise be prepared for people who don't have a scientific background to put in there 2 pence worth. Misinformation is rife and that is a well recognised phenomenom in forums/the internet. Get used to it.

Well godammit, I'm going to make it my personal mission to point out all the bolleaux on the internet, one (open) forum at a time.
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    P_Tucker wrote:
    Well godammit, I'm going to make it my personal mission to point out all the bolleaux on the internet, one (open) forum at a time.

unless you are (literally) the font of all wisdom - how will you do this?
  • P_Tucker
    Pseudonym wrote:
    P_Tucker wrote:

unless you are (literally) the font of all wisdom - how will you do this?

That's the least of my problems. Patrolling the Road Training section of BikeRadar is a full time job - I'm going to need one of them time travelling watches like wot Hermione had in Harry Potter.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    roddixon wrote:

My point is that there's nothing 'harsh' about calling out bullshit. It's perfectly reasonable. And after all, it is an open forum, right? So why is it OK to post misinformation, but not to call it out?
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • P_Tucker
    Herbsman wrote:
    roddixon wrote:

My point is that there's nothing 'harsh' about calling out bullshit. It's perfectly reasonable. And after all, it is an open forum, right? So why is it OK to post misinformation, but not to call it out?

Indeed. You'd think people would be grateful at the service being provided by those that call out the BS.
  • Crikey, what have we here?!

I identified something in the original post that I have encountered myself and previously given thought to. I commented on it in the spirit of shared experience. I'd be surprised if the original poster, or anyone else reading the thread, considered that my comment was intended to be elevated to the status of unimpeachable medical fact.

I'm only grateful that my humble submission was 'called' by the forum's soi disant guardian of all that is right and true, rather than, say, someone acting like a bit of a smug tosser on the internet.
  • neilo23
    B3rnieMac wrote:
    My personal trainer when I was into weightlifting always referred to muscle memory, I remember an example of his being Christian bale being quite muscular, then being able to go all rasmussen for The Machinist, then a couple of months later was able to put on stones of muscle to play batman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_mem ... h_training)

I wouldn't mention the word "strength" unless you want this to happen ;-) :

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... sc&start=0
  • P_Tucker
    Crikey, what have we here?!

I identified something in the original post that I have encountered myself and previously given thought to. I commented on it in the spirit of shared experience. I'd be surprised if the original poster, or anyone else reading the thread, considered that my comment was intended to be elevated to the status of unimpeachable medical fact.

I'm only grateful that my humble submission was 'called' by the forum's soi disant guardian of all that is right and true, rather than, say, someone acting like a bit of a smug tosser on the internet.

Good. I'm glad you see it that way - most people would get a bit arsey and sarcastic.