inner tube question

potters1863
potters1863 Posts: 111
edited August 2011 in Road beginners
Hi,

Have replaced a tyre and inner tube this week following a puncture. Changed before and have had specialized and there has been a thread on the stem of the inner tube to fit the nut to the inside of the wheel rim.

Fitted a set of vittoria tyre and inner tube and the inner tube does not have a thread but is smooth, therefore does not come with the nut ?

Is this correct? can you ride with this setup? I assume you can as they wouldn't be made the way they are or are for a different wheel?

Comments

• sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    Hi,

Have replaced a tyre and inner tube this week following a puncture. Changed before and have had specialized and there has been a thread on the stem of the inner tube to fit the nut to the inside of the wheel rim.

Fitted a set of vittoria tyre and inner tube and the inner tube does not have a thread but is smooth, therefore does not come with the nut ?

Is this correct? can you ride with this setup? I assume you can as they wouldn't be made the way they are or are for a different wheel?

inside :?:
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • I'm calling the wheel by the spokes the inside, I know it reads a bit funny but basically is this nut required to hold the inner tube stem in place or is it fine for the air pressure to do the job?
  • Nairnster
    Nairnster Posts: 602
    ^^That was my thought

The lock ring/nut is meant to be fitted outside, not within the tyre.

And, I would imagine, that as some inner tubes are made without the thread, they must be fine. Just make sure the tube is seated and located properly, with the valve coming straight out of the valve hole and not at any angle.
  • Nairnster
    Nairnster Posts: 602
    ignore my first comment, as you posted whilst i was still writing mine.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Te little nut is meant to be on the outside of the rim, where the spokes are, not inside it.

And to answer your question, yes, some tubes are not threaded, it makes no difference to how they work.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    The retaining nut is useful for holding the valve in place while pressing on a pump head, but otherwise has no purpose. It can't be done up too tightly as often thought, but equally it has little function. Many tubes have dispensed with it, the only cost being a slight difficulty in attaching the pump at certain pressures.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    ^^^this

fwiw i don't bother putting the nut on, if the valve stem is a bit short then pushing on the tyre gets enough of it sticking out to get the pump on and start inflating
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • merak
    merak Posts: 323
    Rule #60
  • EarlyGo
    EarlyGo Posts: 281
    ^^ Wot he said!

http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules/

Rule 60 refers.
  • Thanks for all the replies, I am now satisfied that my inner tube fitted without the retaining washer nut is fine.

As for fitting the pump, with it being the 51mm stem I assume this makes it easier to hold the stem to fit the pump?

This is such a good site for gaining the useful bits of information as there is so much to learn as you come across these problems. Thanks :D
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    long stems are mainly for use with deep rims, but there's no harm having the stem longer, it's an awful lot better than having it too short

for simplicity i use long stems on both shallow and deep rims, saves having two lots of tubes, or faffing around with extenders, or embarrassing mistakes out on the road when you find you have the wrong tube with you

the late sheldon brown's site has a lot of useful info, it's not updated anymore, but it's still good...

http://sheldonbrown.com/articles.html

the park tool site is also good for info on how to do various maintenance tasks...

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help

...just don't believe that you really need all those tools!
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny