skimmed milk

stevesavage71
stevesavage71 Posts: 54
There are a lot of things you can do with milk, and most of the healthy things I have seen use semi-skimmed milk as opposed to fully skimmed milk. Are there more benefits from semi skimmed milk or should I stick to skimmed?

Comments

• roddixon
    roddixon Posts: 100
    Use full fat, it tastes better :)
  • Use full fat cream. Even tastier. :lol:
  • ptr_
    ptr_ Posts: 126
    Full fat has more calories for the same money... makes more economic sense.

I buy semi-skimmed just because I like the way it tastes in tea. Buy whatever, the difference really isn't that substantial.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    More fat --> more vitamins and minerals in the milk
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Herbsman wrote:

Are you certain that the vits and minerals are in the fat part of the milk? I have always thought that most of the protein at least is in the lean part... The fat is just fat isn't it? May have some omega 3, 6 and 9 I suppose.....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    You still get the calcium in semi and skimmed milk but you do lose vitamins, vitamin D being the main problem.
    I've always had full fat milk and i always will, a couple of cups of coffee and a bowl of cereal isn't going to give me a problem.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Herbsman wrote:

Are you certain that the vits and minerals are in the fat part of the milk? I have always thought that most of the protein at least is in the lean part... The fat is just fat isn't it? May have some omega 3, 6 and 9 I suppose.....
    Uhh, yes. Certain vitamins are fat-soluble, hence milk that has had its fat content reduced will contain fewer of those vitamins.
    Vitamins are classified as either water-soluble or fat-soluble. In humans there are 13 vitamins: 4 fat-soluble (A, D, E, and K) and 9 water-soluble (8 B vitamins and vitamin C).
    Fat-soluble vitamins are absorbed through the intestinal tract with the help of lipids (fats)
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Thanks.
    I guess i'l move up to semi skimmed milk
  • Sussed out
    Sussed out Posts: 189
    Skimmed milk has more protein and calcium for volume than other types of milk.
    Milk is an excellent source of hydration so if drinking more of it then skimmed is best.
    I'm an athlete and drink skimmed during weights and for recovery