Part time fixed on a Day One

andy_from_embsay
andy_from_embsay Posts: 343
edited August 2011 in Road general
I'm about to get a Genesis Day One Alfine on C2W as a winter bike, but I understand that the 2012 model allows you to run it single speed.

My question is how? I guess I need a different back wheel, so could simply swap the back wheel out - but can I get a single speed back wheel with a disc brake, or do I run it with just a front brake and the brake callipers on the back redundant?

Or is there such a thing as a disc brake single speed 700c wheel?

Comments

• mz__jo
    mz__jo Posts: 398
    Disc brake type mtb hub laced to 700c rim; nothing easier - just fit a single speed conversion kit to the freehub and the disc to the disc mounting. You can even turn it and use one of velosolo's disc mounting fixed sprockets in place of the disc (but remember to take the disc caliper off the frame. Alfin hubs are mtb width
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Plenty of single speed MTB hubs for disc about - tend to be fairly hefty but durable for the 'jump' brigade. You might be able to find a bolted axle for a Shimano M756 XT hub or use the QR and some chain tensioners?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • mz__jo
    mz__jo Posts: 398
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Plenty of single speed MTB hubs for disc about - tend to be fairly hefty but durable for the 'jump' brigade. You might be able to find a bolted axle for a Shimano M756 XT hub or use the QR and some chain tensioners?

Velosolo do the nutted axlefor the M756 hub (and any spacers needed). Just running on single speed (and even on fixed if not doing tricks) shouldn't need tensionners. I have never used them on my fixed even for tt (in my youth when I did tt)). On single-speed you shouldn't even need the nutted axle.