Waterproofs.

dazza3512
dazza3512 Posts: 58
edited September 2011 in Tour & expedition
hi gang,looking for some recommendations for a full set of waterproofs sutable for long periods in the rain,i am using a freestyle goretex jacket at the moment and it does not take long before i feel wet,i know this may be down to persperation inside the jacket,but i would love to have a jkt and trs that keep me dry on my travels,any personel recommendations would be gratefully recieved,i am toying with the idea of a full set of altura night vision waterproofs,but would consider any.

regards :P
He travels fastest who travels alone

Comments

• Yogiboys
    Yogiboys Posts: 12
    I'd recommend Endura Stealth jacket and bibtights. Keeps the rain out and still breathes. Not cheap but good stuff never is. Alternative bibs would be hincapie alpe. I used them all of last winter and they kept the rain, snow, hail and cold out.
    Giant TCR Composite (race), Giant TCR (summer commute) & Giant Revel for winter commute. Ironman
  • cheers will look it up and let you know :lol:
  • I've never found any waterproofs which are very breathable for cycling, especially once you start climbing. Also are you really sure you want to wear waterproofs bottoms all day touring?
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    edited August 2011
    Gortex of any kind will get wet on the inside during extended riding in the rain, mainly from condensation. You also get wetting out of the fabric when the "permanent water-resistant" beading finish fails. A wetted out gortex then ceases to be breathable and you get more condensation. Soaked fabric takes ages to dry out.
    The best you can hope for is to get a design that is highly vented with underam pit zips + an open back vent + a front with poppers so you can undo the zip without going all flappy-in-the-wind
    Modern designs are not in your favour, back-vents are no-longer made and zips are now waterproof so poppers are not required.

The modern solution to poor breathability is a softshell, but these are not really waterproof for all-day, multi-day wet riding.

For my Norwegian tour I was expecting Scottish conditions: days of torrential rain at 10-15C and was not disappointed. I ummed and erred about packing my Paramo jacket; it is bulky in the bag and too warm for riding anything over 15C. In the event, it saved my bacon, keeping me totally comfortable, all day, in the worst conditions but drying off inside the tent within 10 mins. I also found it useful as an evening fleece-like insulated jacket.

Current Paramo jackets are lighter and less bulky than my old one. The pullover style is good for cycling but the zip front is easier to use inside a solo tent. They have hoods which are either removable or attached. The removable ones are better for riding but hoods are important for touring when off the bike.
  • mz__jo
    mz__jo Posts: 398
    All this shows that the traditional and now out of fashion cycle cape actually had something going for it.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Sure, capes have their place - I've got one and use it, but only in town where winds are not likely to be much of a factor. In that context they are great.

On long days in the saddle in the countryside - as when I've toured through in Scotland and Northumbria and such places in late autumn (only time I could get away) and where wind is likely to be a factor - you need something else. I've found that a Gore Fusion (with pit zips open) and Endura 3/4 eVent shorts works very well.

I've yet to find good waterproof overshoes to fit my size 48 shoes, and I've all but given up on the idea of waterproof gloves, but the aforementioned combination of jacket and over-trousers has worked really well for me.
  • GyatsoLa
    GyatsoLa Posts: 667
    eVent is I think better for touring than Goretex, its more breathable and maintains its waterproofness longer if it gets dirty. I have a Rab Momentum jacket which I've found pretty good for touring - its very waterproof and has lots of venting so works well - its not bike specific so its a bit better for off-bike stuff as well.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    mz__jo wrote:
    All this shows that the traditional and now out of fashion cycle cape actually had something going for it.

What exactly did it have going for it? The minuses massively outweigh the pluses.
    More problems but still living....
  • cheers so far guys,i need something for a up and coming 5 day tour of the western highlands,i gave a cape a lot of thought,ie a proper cycling specific cape,but found on a recent tour in the dales when i used a rerally cheap one ,the thing just flapped in the wind and basically destroyed itself,so forget the cape,i WILL be riding all day in the rain,of that i have no doubt,so i am not expecting to stay completly dry,but would like to be,say a little damp at the end of the day rather than soaked to the skin.

there are plenty of jackets to choose from,i know just wondered if anybody had any specific recommendations from personal use. :lol: [/u

so far= gore fusion-rab momentum-endura stealth -paramo ?
  • +1 for the Paramo jackets. They are probaly the most breathable available, not relying on a membrane for waterproofing. The extra bulk and warmth, isn't much of an issue as there is essentally no condensation build up on the inside - so you feel much more comfortable.

I've used them a lot for hill walking and mountian biking.
  • I've got an Endura Laser II http://www.endura.co.uk/Product.aspx?de ... rod_id=260. Its not breathable but it keeps the rain off. Previously I had a Karrimor City Limits which was amazing - so good I bought a second one before they discontinued them. Also not breathable but kept the rain off. I aim to spend about £50 on touring waterproof.
  • mz__jo
    mz__jo Posts: 398
    amaferanga wrote:
    mz__jo wrote:

What exactly did it have going for it? The minuses massively outweigh the pluses.

The plusses: if it is big enough to go completely over the bars and well down onto the front mudguard it won't flap, it allows your body to breathe, it keeps you dry well down below the knee and it is even reasonably streamlined. The minus: it has to be big enough to fit like that (in my case a 48" Stormcheetah, which doesn't exist any longer). In west and mid Wales where autumn and winter tend to be a bit wet and blowy it was my idea of perfection. If only I could find another one.

To put things in context, in a warmer climate I prefer not to clad myself in a waterproof if I can avoid it. In summer cloubursts I don't stop to put anything over a jersey. Its more comfortable without.
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    On my recent Danube tour I took a £10 cycle cape from Argos. We only had one day of very heavy rain. I stayed completely dry and condensation free in the cape. My two companions in their expensive waterproof jackets were soaked. I did not notice a problem with the wind but I was able to sit on the cape and I'm a big, broad fellow anyway. I think they are more popular on the continent. I saw quite a few. One young trendy girl was happily bowling along on a tourer wearing a red cape that came down behind her and covered the rear panniers. Looked very chic.
  • thank you all for your comments gents,just to let you know that after some very carefull thoughts,i have indeed opted for a cycle cape to go over my goretex freestyle jacket, i thought whats the point of buying yet another jacket when i have 2 cycling and various walking and sailing jackets already,( plus the wife wont let me ), i will only put the cape over when it is really pi##ing down,whitch judging by the recent weather up in scotland,will be all day, every day.

tahnks again :P