Advice sought about using cycling as part of a PE GCSE

pilot_pete
pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
edited August 2011 in Road beginners
Anyone know what requirements have to be met to choose cycling as one of the sports for GCSE in Physical Education? My son is interested in this when he starts back at school in September. I am unsure as to the requirements, such as does it have to be competitive, ie racing or just cycling for fitness etc. We are both looking at joining our local club, which I am sure is a good first step, but thought I would ask here if anyone has a son/ daughter who has done it, or any cycling PE teachers out there!

PP

Comments

• u05harrisb
    u05harrisb Posts: 531
    acouple of my friends did it the other year, im starting A2 this year, and i believe the stipulation is that it has to be a fitness sorta thing that has to be actually physically strenuous, i.e. like doing curcuit training which they quite often pick as one of them! then i guess the way it would work is you bring your bike to class then do laps of the field or somthing or mabye you might if you can sort somthing out outside of school and get a "qualified" person to sign you off that your doing it then give it to your PE teacher to show what your doing. think that would suffice :D
  • I think one of the requirements is that your son shows he has taken part in some sort of training that has improved his performace in the selected sport (rather than just a straight measurement of compitence). As the previous post said, you need someone who is 'qualified' to provide some evidence of the measurements.

One way to achieve this is to get your son to do a set distance e.g. 10m then train for a period of time and then so the same route again - if you can get these as part of the TT season in your club then its ideal as the times are 'official' - and this could work over the year 10 - 11 summer so it shouldn't be a problem.

The best thing to do is talk to his teacher - if he is only starting in September I'd suggest you've plenty of time and the first parents evening would be a good point

Hope that helps
  • BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    My lad has already enquired about this, the information he got from the school was that he needed to be a member of a recognised Cycling Club, he was also given a sheet of competencies that he would need to demonstrate. These could then be signed off by the club coach. He would also need to make provision for his PE teacher to observe him demonstrating a selection of these competencies. The list was quite diverse and included mechanical understanding, under standing gear ratios etc etc along with riding skills, including demonstrating the use of cycling specific shoes (SPD and SL's et al)

A Little vague but I hope this helps a little.

We are doing it for my lad, he already covers most of the items just by following his passion for cycling and racing
  • dawebbo
    dawebbo Posts: 456
    If he can pick out a bike from a line up of various transportation devices then that will be sufficient for an A*.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Thanks guys, especially dawebbo for that gem! :wink:

Anyone know if the paperwork is available anywhere online, like a list of the 'competencies'?

Cheers

PP
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    This link gives an idea as competencies but at what level I do not know - my sums gce was harder. :wink:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L4fzKYkfwM