Exploding hydraulic hose?

ETreeson
ETreeson Posts: 88
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
So... I was just in the process of bleeding my new new brakes, with a shiny gold hydraulic hose (fitted by moi) when BOOM! All of a sudden my girlfriend is wondering why she (and her laptop) are covered in brake fluid.

Now, was this my own incompetence? Or craptastic aftermarket hoses? They were described as a 5 layer kevlar braided hose. That sounds pretty tough to me... That said, I'm a ham fisted chimp and regularly round out bolts WITH a torque wrench. So I guess anything is possible.

Any thoughts? Anyone else managed this too?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like incorrect fitting.

what actually went?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • at least it didn't happen on a steep descent.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Sounds like your torque wrench is broken too.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What actually happened? Has the hose burst (split or come apart) or has it pulled out at one end? If it's the former it's almost certainly a defective hose, the latter probably erroneous digitas (finger trouble).

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ETreeson
    ETreeson Posts: 88
    The fluid actually sprayed out of a small split in the hose (pinhole size) rather than at the lever or caliper.

Is it likely I over-pressured it (too much fluid)? or the hose was defective in the first place?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    that is a defective hose. ( presuming it was not erroneous digitas).
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Unless you 'did' something to the hose, it was defenctive, no way can you axert anough pressure when bleeding it to make it do that if it was made properly!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.