Cycling and bone density?

rowhuwmin
rowhuwmin Posts: 3
Hey guys. I read a post on bone health and road cycling today. Anyone out there had issues with weak bones or been told that they have lower than normal bone density? I am thinking I may start to do some running... any comments on what this may do to my training?

Cheers

Comments

• Sorry, blog post is at http://www.blonyx.com/blog
  • kettrinboy
    kettrinboy Posts: 613
    Well i had a few hard falls off the bike on black ice this past winter and landed on my hip and knees as you do,and although it hurt like f*ck at the time, nothing broke, so i guess my bones must be ok, and ive done around 25000 miles in the last 5 years, perhaps if you did pro rider levels of mileage say 20,000 per year it might be more of an issue,as well as impact excercises like running/weight lifting, you could always eat more dairy products or take calcium supplements to help build bone density, which from what ive heard steadily decreases from about the age of 35.
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    A little bit of off season running won't hurt your cycling at all in my opinion. Doing running instead of cycling may affect it though simply because you are doing less cycling. Your cardiovascular system will still get trained though - just find a good balance.

It struck me during the summer with all the pros breaking stuff left right and centre that perhaps they are more fragile nowadays - little muscle for protection and weakened bones from dieting... maybe? Who knows?
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Low bone density is only possibly going to be a problem if you are completely sedentary apart from riding your bike. If you walk around and are generally active then there shouldn't be an issue.
    More problems but still living....
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Just another myth from those fanatics who are not fully committed heart and soul to cycling - lightweights..................
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    amaferanga wrote:
    Low bone density is only possibly going to be a problem if you are completely sedentary apart from riding your bike. If you walk around and are generally active then there shouldn't be an issue.
    My understanding is that bone density is also governed by hormones and diet, both of which can increase/decrease bone density over a lifetime.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    JGSI wrote:
    Just another myth from those fanatics who are not fully committed heart and soul to cycling - lightweights..................

You mean tri-athletes :wink: