So it's come to this...

Cressers
Cressers Posts: 1,329
edited August 2011 in The bottom bracket
What ever has happened to us that this has come to pass?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-he ... r-14660511

Comments

• schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    It's been going on for years. I remember going to Country Parks and such like where 'Countryside Wardens' were on hand in visitor centres to teach the Country Code, interesting things to keep a look out for, run workshops. I used to love them as a kid in the Summer holidays.

This is just a spin on the same thing to make people aware of the services (often voluntary) that are provided.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    What's the problem?

Seems like a perfectly sensible idea to me.

People who have been brought up in an urban environment and lived their all their lives will obviously be unfamiliar with what goes on in the country.

There are also plenty of country dwellers who would not have a clue how to act if you dropped them in the middle of a big city (or little town to be honest).
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    jim453 wrote:

There are also plenty of country dwellers who would not have a clue how to act if you dropped them in the middle of a big city (or little town to be honest).

Considering the bus services from rural locals, they would need dropping off because they wouldn't be able to get there otherwise.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    jim453 wrote:
    What's the problem?

Seems like a perfectly sensible idea to me.

People who have been brought up in an urban environment and lived their all their lives will obviously be unfamiliar with what goes on in the country.

eh? So how does your behaviour change when you go from country to city then? :? Unless you see folk wandering around your local city wearing a wax jacket with a shotgun in the crook of the elbow and a black labrador not on a lead.
  • jim453 wrote:

No wonder this country is up the sh1tter, its a sad day when people need to be force fed how to act in certain situations. Whatever happened to common sense?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    I can think of a few people who would benefit from this., the sort of people who think Richmond Park is a smaller approximation of the Hymalayas!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    I remember when I moved to University in a big city. I wondered why the buses went past without stopping. Asked someone and found out you had to stick your arm out to request them to stop!

Ah - to be young a naive!
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    I remember when I moved to University in a big city. I wondered why the buses went past without stopping. Asked someone and found out you had to stick your arm out to request them to stop!

Ah - to be young a naive!

Reminds me of what someone I know who works in the post room of a university told me. He often gets students asking him how to post a letter and he actually has to demonstrate to them the act of putting a stamp on it and putting it in the post box. I guess they’ve never used anything other than texts or email to communicate up until then.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    ddraver wrote:
    I can think of a few people who would benefit from this., the sort of people who think Richmond Park is a smaller approximation of the Hymalayas!

Says he in Leiden where they call a bridge a hill and a hill a mountain. :!:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    ddraver wrote:

Says he in Leiden where they call a bridge a hill and a hill a mountain. :!:

Fair point, but then being cornish and living in N Wlaes for the past 3 years I am familiar with the countryside. Rapidly forgetting though I admit!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    jim453 wrote:

No wonder this country is up the sh1tter, its a sad day when people need to be force fed how to act in certain situations. Whatever happened to common sense?

Like I said this is nothing new. The Countryside Commission have been trying to educate the urban masses for years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Country_Code
  • The countryside smells of cow sh1t.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    The countryside smells of cow sh1t.
    Succinct and to the point :lol:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    jim453 wrote:

Firstly, please excuse the wrong and embarrassing use of their rather than there.

Secondly,

People do need to be shown how to 'act' or respond to new events or environments for which they have no prior experience. This is how everybody learns. Few are lucky enough to be born with all appropriate responses in all events/environments hardwired in their brains and so they need to be shown.

Yes, you can learn a lot of things by trial and error if you have no better way but this is not the most ideal nor the least stressful way to learn.

So, is this education programme really the reason why the country is going to the sh1tter (even if it is)? I think not.

Do you have anything sensible to add?