Vuelta Stage 6 *Spoiler*

FJS
FJS Posts: 4,820
edited August 2011 in Pro race
Mostly flat but with an interesting climb not far from the finish. Freire won in Cordoba with the same finale a coupleof years ago, and marked this as a stage for him before the Vuelta started. But he has not felt well the last couple of days.

Escape of the day, with 8 minutes: SARAMOTINS Aleksejs (045), KOHLER Martin (032), DOI Yukihiro (172) y PALOMARES VILLAPLANA Adrian (025).

Matti Breschel crashed still in the neutralised bit and has abandoned. Could have predicted that, as I picked him for PTP today :evil: . My pick crashing before the stage has actually started seems emblematic for my PTP year..... Sorry for him though, as he was going really well (only sprinter left in first group on Monday I think), and was clearly building towards the Worlds in his homecountry. Hope he's OK.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,242
    You're all over this Vuelta eh?
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    FJS wrote:
    Mostly flat but with an interesting climb not far from the finish. Freire won in Cordoba with the same finale a coupleof years ago, and marked this as a stage for him before the Vuelta started. But he has not felt well the last couple of days.

Escape of the day, with 8 minutes: SARAMOTINS Aleksejs (045), KOHLER Martin (032), DOI Yukihiro (172) y PALOMARES VILLAPLANA Adrian (025).

Matti Breschel crashed still in the neutralised bit and has abandoned. Could have predicted that, as I picked him for PTP today :evil: . My pick crashing before the stage has actually started seems emblematic for my PTP year..... Sorry for him though, as he was going really well (only sprinter left in first group on Monday I think), and was clearly building towards the Worlds in his homecountry. Hope he's OK.

Unlucky with the Breschel thing, although to be honest, today's stage is a contender for one of the hardest PTP picks ever, so depending on the outcome it might not make a difference. As for Freire, sad to say, but hope he's feeling a little under the weather today, as my heart told me last night to pick him for todays stage, but my head told me to go with Sagon, to limit losses, as he's bound to be there or thereabouts, but we'll see.
  • LeicesterLad

This years Vuelta would be turd without Him. Unbelieveable the difference in posts for the TdF and the Vuelta, inevitable i know, but a little disheartening.
  • FJS
    Just a couple of days of admin at home making it easy to combine with following races. Although, I have to say the route ain't bad. Considering this is the first week of a grand tour, wehaven't had a single proper flat predictable-outcome sprinters stage yet. Well, you have to lower your standards outside March and April, right?
  • LeicesterLad
    LLS and Freire have both ruled themselves out of the win today. LLS feels aweful apparently, and Freire struggling with his breathing.
  • FJS
    but my head told me to go with Sagon, to limit losses, as he's bound to be there or thereabouts, but we'll see.
    That was my thinking with Breschel :(
  • thomasmc
    thomasmc Posts: 814
    Joaquin Rodriguez tried to get into a break early on. That was never likely to get away!
  • rick_chasey
    FJS wrote:
    Well, you have to lower your standards outside March and April, right?

Pffft. Sheffield's made you soft.
  • FJS
    FJS wrote:

Nah, just all part of sticking to the idea that there's cycling outside July
  • rick_chasey
    FJS wrote:
    FJS wrote:

Nah, just all part of sticking to the idea that there's cycling outside July

Yeah maybe.

Post July I can only get excited about the World's.

It's a sad state of affairs. I really want to get into the Vuelta but I find the effort too big.

Anyway, enough rubbishing it. What's happening?
  • FJS
    Cancellara just brought the escape back from 5 minutes to 16 seconds in 15 km
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    Anton at the back again
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Anton should just jump in the team car and save any further suffering!
  • rick_chasey
    FJS wrote:

Shwing.

Is that another one of those " I need to put an effort in to see how I'm doing before the World's" effort he likes to do?
  • FJS
    Moncoutie on the attack again
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    FJS wrote:

Ha, that made me smile!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Tom BB
    Sagan leading down the descent........really stretching it out-he really is a cracking descender
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Liquigas... wow.
  • Tom BB
    A little leakygas group inculding Nibs have taken 6 second on the field down the descent....
  • FJS
    It's all split up in the descent
    Sagan and Nibali and other Liquigas in a smal group ahead
    Anton in a group way back
  • camerone
    llekigas phenomenal descenders!
  • FJS
    Chavanel, Jrod and I think Martin chasing on their own :o
    All this in a descent
  • afx237vi
    Can't see Wiggo in that second group.
  • Tom BB
    Lol comedy finish-Liquigas v Lastras.......Sagan takes it-I'm suprised that he didn't give it to Nibs for the bonus seconds!
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    afx237vi wrote:
    Can't see Wiggo in that second group.

In the 3rd group
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Liquigas way too greedy! Should've let Lastras had it - had him working and then given Nibali 2nd rather trying to go for the win and losing Nibali more seconds.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    What a finish, didnt see that coming on the descent.
  • FJS
    Cool, like a TTT finish with a stowaway
  • camerone
    nibali not happy!
  • afx237vi
    Nibali whinging a bit there. A Liiquigas win is more important than a couple of bonus seconds.