ToB - Cav

josame
josame Posts: 1,141
edited September 2011 in Pro race
Are we likely to see him??
'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'

Comments

• LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Only if he gets permission from the Vuelta organisers.
  • Mark Bom
    Mark Bom Posts: 184
    I hope so!

Planning on watching the start and finish of Stage 5 in Devon which I reckon will be a sprint finish.
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    I'm sure he'd get permission if he asked. So the real issue is whether he's going to ask...
  • LeicesterLad
    I'm sure he'd get permission if he asked. So the real issue is whether he's going to ask...

I don't see that he's left with any choice but to ask, if he wants to win the worlds, because at the minute, historically (recent'ish history), its not looking good.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    I was going to suggest he might opt for the Tour of Missouri again, but that appears to have gone bust already. Didn't last long, did it?
  • alanjay
    alanjay Posts: 363
    He shouldn't need permission. The TOB starts after the start of the last stage of the Vuelta so he is free to ride..
  • LeicesterLad
    alanjay wrote:
    He shouldn't need permission. The TOB starts after the start of the last stage of the Vuelta so he is free to ride..

Right so you are saying if Cav had continued in the Vuelta, he would have started and finished the last stage in 20 minutes, got a 5 minute flight to Britain and then rode the first day of ToB?
  • alanjay wrote:

Right so you are saying if Cav had continued in the Vuelta, he would have started and finished the last stage in 20 minutes, got a 5 minute flight to Britain and then rode the first day of ToB?

Well he is the fastest man on the planet!
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137

No, he's saying that the two races don't overlap, so he won't need permission from anyone to do it. It's pretty obvious really.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • LeicesterLad
    alanjay wrote:

Well he is the fastest man on the planet!

This is true, but i still doubt he can average 100mph+ :lol:
  • LeicesterLad
    RichN95 wrote:

No, he's saying that the two races don't overlap, so he won't need permission from anyone to do it. It's pretty obvious really.

Surely same day is overlapping no? I still fail to see how a rider can be in two places at once, assuming a rider must complete one race before starting he other?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:

Surely same day is overlapping no? I still fail to see how a rider can be in two places at once, assuming a rider must complete one race before starting he other?

You're right. I thought that the ToB started on a Monday.
  • LeicesterLad
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

You're right. I thought that the ToB started on a Monday.

Although i may be wrong, Just been reading Inner Ring, and someone has commented that the UCI is only concerned with Start Times, which apparently would mean there is no overlap, although i don't know how true this is, and if it is the case, it would appear to be an extremely stupid rule.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Since he has withdrawn, surely there wouldn't be a problem?
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • Mouth wrote:
    Since he has withdrawn, surely there wouldn't be a problem?

The UCI prevent a rider from starting another event (in this case the TOB) until the event they withdrew from (the Vuelta) is complete.

Unless the organisers of the first event (Vuelta) and the UCI both give permission.

So - if the Vuelta folks dig their heels in, Cav is screwed.
  • alanjay
    alanjay Posts: 363
    According to the rules as soon as the last stage of the Vuelta starts it is deemed as finished for the purpose of riders who have withdrawn starting another race. So as the TOB starts in the afternoon and the Vuelta stage starts earlier Cav is in the clear.
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    Has anyone got a source for this bonkers interpretation of a very clear rule?

EDIT - I'm bored of this now anyway. The TOB starts before the last stage of the vuelta starts. I still think someone on the internet is wrong, but it's irrelevant anyway.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    EDIT - I'm bored of this now anyway. The TOB starts before the last stage of the vuelta starts. I still think someone on the internet is wrong, but it's irrelevant anyway.

duty_calls.png
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    I can't see the Vuelta organisers having a problem, and it would be spiteful of them if they did.
    Cav didn't plan to retire. He's ill. He simply could not carry on, and he's not the sort of rider who throws in the towel easily.

Had he planned to only ride the first week, then I could see a problem, but he didn't. He started the Vuelta planning to finish.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Depends on how much the Spanish want Freire to have a chance in Denmark eh? :wink:
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Exactly.
  • ASO are the organisers of the Vuelta though aren't they? not Spanish?
  • RichN95.
    Depends on how much the Spanish want Freire to have a chance in Denmark eh? :wink:

The Spanish Federation don't run the Vuelta though. Effectively the ASO do. They don't give a toss about Oscar "the Tour is the most boring race of the year" Freire.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    I'm sure the Vuelta organisers and the UCI will allow Cavendish to start if he was ill. He needs to provide them with proof of this because, frankly, he looked under prepared for the Vuelta from the off.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    RichN95 wrote:

The Spanish Federation don't run the Vuelta though. Effectively the ASO do. They don't give a toss about Oscar "the Tour is the most boring race of the year" Freire.

We need a joke smilie..!
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    I have a theory, which is most likely a load of b0llocks......

Cav won the green jersey at the Vuelta last year. He's also one of the biggest names in cycling at the moment. So ASO/Vuelta organisers want him there for PR, press and exposure purposes. It also looks like he's trying to defend his green jersey.

Cav looks at the stages and doesn't much fancy dragging himself over huge mountains, up steep slopes, when it's 40C, with only a few chances of wins. So he agrees with ASO/Vuelta that he'll start but withdraw so long as he's given clearance to ride the Tour of Britain.

Cue illness/drained excuse so his fans don't think he's wimping out.

Bear in mind that HTC had Goss, Degenkolb and Cav in their squad for a race with very few flat stages and chances of wins for them. He's also managed to get a stay at David Millar's place sorted at very short notice and is straight back into training rides even though he's ill/drained.

Or perhaps I'm just reading too much into it :oops: :lol:
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Not to mention an announcement on 1st Sept of where Cav will be riding next year, and the ToB happens to be his new teams home country race. It'll be nice to show off next seasons big signing - even though he'll be racing for a different team.
  • LeicesterLad
    He cant be that ill, He's been sunning himself and riding around with David Millar the last few days...
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    He cant be that ill, He's been sunning himself and riding around with David Millar the last few days...

To be fair, being fit enough to ride round Girona and drink coffee with David Millar and being fit enough to ride a 3 week Grand Tour are two different things. He's had a long season already and then a break after the tour. I guess his legs just weren't as good as he'd hoped.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • LeicesterLad

To be fair, being fit enough to ride round Girona and drink coffee with David Millar and being fit enough to ride a 3 week Grand Tour are two different things. He's had a long season already and then a break after the tour. I guess his legs just weren't as good as he'd hoped.

What happened to riding into form and fitness though? cuz he sure won't be able to do that now!