Gambling.

LeicesterLad
LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
edited August 2011 in Pro race
Hope this is not a taboo, But i used to do the old football accumulator bets, but frankly i was dire at it. However playing in the PTP has made me wonder if money can be had Gambling on the cycling. Ive had a look at the usual bookies (ladbrokes et al) and they seem to only take bets on TdF! is there anywhere online where i can put money on races from the rest of the season?

Comments

• pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    Betfair usually offer odds. That is an exchange rather than a bookie.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    Unibet offer odds on more cycling (after all, they sponsored a cycling team)

The odds you'll get on cycling are pretty poor though, considering the variables.
  • I bet with Paddy Power, they always have a number of bets on various outcomes, stage winner, top ten, podium, rider v rider.

Won a good amount on Cadel when he finished 2nd to Gilbert one of the early stages in the TdF (Mur de Bretagne possibly).... he was 80/1 so I put a wee each way bet on, think they were paying first 3 places....

Some good prices on certain riders
  • LeicesterLad

The odds you'll get on cycling are pretty poor though, considering the variables.

I suspected the Odds would be pretty poor, would be a case of whacking a lot of Money down to get any sort of return.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've had some good wins from betfair. Mind you there's been plenty of bets that haven't win me anything. Cycling is very unpredictable.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667

What do you mean by poor odds? The over-round, or how short the favourites are?

Do you consider 4/6 on Cav winning in Paris poor odds?
    I personally think that's value. Imagine another sport where someone was so dominant and had won twice at the same "course & distance". You'd pile into 4/6, if you weren't averse to backing strong favourites.

The value is definitely there. We all knew Cadel was likely to go well, I backed him at 16/1 e/w without Dirty Bertie (it felt at the time like the w/o contador bit made it a top-4 bet instead of a top-3 bet). I also had a bit on Basso in the same market, at 14s. Win some, lose some.

I backed Cav at 9/4 to win 5 or more stages.
    I backed Cav for green jersey at 5/2, when Gilbert was in green (Cav going for early intermediates convinced me he would go well)
    I also backed him in several stages, but bottled out midway through the 1st stage he won, when it became clear the finish was v technical.

I think the strong favourite (Cav) is generally value because people are afriad to back one man in a field of almost 200. For the same reason Tiger Woods was value, prior to "crashing his car"

I had a fair few other losing bets, I had a few punts on Vino for the early stages and also had a couple of bets on Millar & Chavanel.

Adds to the interest for me and I think it can be profitbale if you're disciplined (I sometimes am!). But realsie it's not for everyone.
  • rick_chasey
    I consider the odds too short given the unpredictability of cycling.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    The liquidity on Betfair is pretty poor on the cycling markets... especially for the stages
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    I like Sporting Index. If spread betting is not your thing then maybe avoid but the good thing about betting on a stage is that they give you a list of say 20 riders and you pick from those and only those riders count. That way if someone comes from nowhere to win it doesnt necessarily screw you up.

I agree with others that picking a winner in cycling can be tricky especially on a stage as you have no idea who will be allowed to get away or if the peloton will be motivated to chase.

Also in spread betting you can sell riders from the list who you think have no chance.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,570
    afx237vi wrote:
    The liquidity on Betfair is pretty poor on the cycling markets... especially for the stages

I agree it is not super fabulous, but it yields higher odds than conventional bookies, and sometimes offers a great deal.

For example, today you can back J -Rod at 7.8 and lay at 8 which is fine, but you can't lay Van den Broeke and can only back him at 18. I tend to just ask for certain odds and sit there hitting refresh for hours....
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    smithy21 wrote:
    I like Sporting Index. If spread betting is not your thing then maybe avoid but the good thing about betting on a stage is that they give you a list of say 20 riders and you pick from those and only those riders count. That way if someone comes from nowhere to win it doesnt necessarily screw you up.

I agree with others that picking a winner in cycling can be tricky especially on a stage as you have no idea who will be allowed to get away or if the peloton will be motivated to chase.

Also in spread betting you can sell riders from the list who you think have no chance.

These were my bets today on SI:-

Bought Dan Martin at 7= +£65
    Bought Chris Anker Sorensen at 4= +£130
    Bought Luis Leon Sanchez at 3= -£15
    Sold Van den Broeck at 6= +£30
    Sold Joaquim Rodriguez at 19= +45

Overall = +£255

High risk with J Rod.
  • LeicesterLad
    smithy21 wrote:
    smithy21 wrote:

These were my bets today on SI:-

Bought Dan Martin at 7= +£65
    Bought Chris Anker Sorensen at 4= +£130
    Bought Luis Leon Sanchez at 3= -£15
    Sold Van den Broeck at 6= +£30
    Sold Joaquim Rodriguez at 19= +45

Overall = +£255

High risk with J Rod.

Some good money there, going to have to have a look at this Sporting Index
  • stanislav
    stanislav Posts: 1,151
    Go onto the oddschecker.com site and find cycling,All the odds available by most bookies.
    PTP winner 2015.
  • Anonymous
    People like you help me make money :-D
  • rick_chasey
    Choppered wrote:

Pourquoi?
  • Greggyr
    Greggyr Posts: 1,075
    Bet365 & Skybet do some cycling markets as well

Have a look at oddschecker each day/race, and they normally show which bookies are open for biz

And another thing, look at peloton pundit on twitter, I've had a few good winners from there, muchos gracias to him !!!
  • Anonymous
    Choppered wrote:

Pourquoi?
    The number of people who won't back a man who wins 2 out of 3 times a stages is run (at 1/2) because of unpredictability / number of competitors, means the odds are longer than they should be :-)
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    My 2 biggest wins came from cycling bets - Thor to win Worlds 13/1 and Evans for Tour 21/1
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    I don't know anyone that I trust to be honest about it that actually wins overall with gambling. I like to have a bet, but it's a pastime for me, not an investment. We all hit it off sometimes, but really how many people actually win in the long term?
    Just look at all the bookmakers, it hardly seems to be a struggling industry.

Choppered, you make the point really perfectly for me.

You put 10 @ 1/2 and he wins so you get back 15, you're 5 up

You put 10 @ 1/2 and he loses so you get back nothing, you're 5 down

You put 10 @ 1/2 and he wins again, so you get back 15, you're now level.

So you've risked a total of 30 to end up level, this on a man that wins 2 out of 3 and is 1/2 as per your example. You're why Ladbrokes and co make a lot of money.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Anybody who says they make a living out of gambling is not to be trusted.

I put £50 into my online account every so often. It gradually dwindles then I might get a little win, but sooner or later it will all dissapear again. It's pure pleasure, I have no illusions, the best I can hope for is that once in a while i'll be able to take the Mrs out for a nice meal after a win (like I did after Evans won me some cash in the TdF).
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • LeicesterLad
    Anybody who says they make a living out of gambling is not to be trusted.

I put £50 into my online account every so often. It gradually dwindles then I might get a little win, but sooner or later it will all dissapear again. It's pure pleasure, I have no illusions, the best I can hope for is that once in a while i'll be able to take the Mrs out for a nice meal after a win (like I did after Evans won me some cash in the TdF).

:shock: You mean you spent it on your missus and not a new bike?
  • Anonymous
    dougzz wrote:
    I don't know anyone that I trust to be honest about it that actually wins overall with gambling. I like to have a bet, but it's a pastime for me, not an investment. We all hit it off sometimes, but really how many people actually win in the long term?
    Just look at all the bookmakers, it hardly seems to be a struggling industry.

Choppered, you make the point really perfectly for me.

You put 10 @ 1/2 and he wins so you get back 15, you're 5 up

You put 10 @ 1/2 and he loses so you get back nothing, you're 5 down

You put 10 @ 1/2 and he wins again, so you get back 15, you're now level.

So you've risked a total of 30 to end up level, this on a man that wins 2 out of 3 and is 1/2 as per your example. You're why Ladbrokes and co make a lot of money.

Would be a very good case apart from:
    You're highlighting being level as a bad thing! ;-)
    I said the odds go longer than that. Even if they're 8/15, you make a profit if he wins 2 from 3.

The main thing for me is the extra interest it brings - hence why I had a little dabble on Vino & Millar. And why, even though I thought he was value, I didn't back cav for the final stage. I had him to win 5 stages and the green jersey, so felt exposed enough.

If done sensibly, there is money to be made on cycling & golf and opposing knee-jerk market movements eg England lengthening a huge amount to win Ashes after Perth.