Vuelta stage 5 *spoiler*

2»

Comments

• sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    FJS wrote:
    Sonny73 wrote:
    Nibali not as strong as I expected on that finish, still good mind you. Wiggins loses 9 seconds on Nibs, not bad at all for a finish like that.
    Nope. Last year he beat Purito, and he said this morning he wanted to win today. Now, both Anton and Nibs going down, that would be PTP massacre....
    Indeed it would!
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    I reckon Wiggins will be happy with that, he ought to be.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    e7ce65da771694539fd0b383082b68f2-getty-505223729.jpg
    cartoon.jpg
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    Good couple days for Katusha.
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    If Dan Martin can't sleep at altitude shouldn't he have made the 45 minute journey back to Granada last night and back up this morning?

Are the riders obliged to sleep where the organisers put them? It's a bike race, not a bike and sleeping at altitude race.
  • Doobz wrote:
    e7ce65da771694539fd0b383082b68f2-getty-505223729.jpg

What a great photo.

Excellent ride by J-Rod today. Puts a pretty big marker down.
  • rick_chasey
    If Dan Martin can't sleep at altitude shouldn't he have made the 45 minute journey back to Granada last night and back up this morning?

Are the riders obliged to sleep where the organisers put them? It's a bike race, not a bike and sleeping at altitude race.

He's quite quick with the excuses.

de Cauwer was saying that he uses his hay fever as an excuse for a poor spring, and why he tends to come into form much later in the year.
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    camerone wrote:
    Christ look at kirt arveson (sp) bike! Completely mangled!

According to Karsten Kroons Twitter he hit a child. He thought initially they were both dead. But they are OK thank god.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908

He's quite quick with the excuses.

de Cauwer was saying that he uses his hay fever as an excuse for a poor spring, and why he tends to come into form much later in the year.

This much is true, and maybe he is a little quick with the excuses. Although i must point out, unsure how it works for the Vuelta, but my understanding is, for the TdF at least that the Hotels are picked for them, and in them they must stay for security, anti-doping reasons etc etc.
  • camerone
    pat1cp wrote:
    camerone wrote:
    Christ look at kirt arveson (sp) bike! Completely mangled!

According to Karsten Kroons Twitter he hit a child. He thought initially they were both dead. But they are OK thank god.

Just reading about it on sky site. Boy ran out to collect bottle and got hit by arvesen at 70kph! Amazing that boy has cuts to face nothing too serious, rider grazed to crap but again amazingly ok (relatively). Arvesen said he saw the whites of his eye, sounds nasty.

One of the other riders may have been phinney said worst looking crash he'd ever seen....
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    From Twitter

http://www.rtve.es/m/alacarta/videos/vu ... ?media=tve

Que la bicicleta está muerto!!!!!!!
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • slimreaper
    slimreaper Posts: 738
    prawny wrote:
    From Twitter

http://www.rtve.es/m/alacarta/videos/vu ... ?media=tve

Que la bicicleta está muerto!!!!!!!

Aint that the truth!
    Jesus.
  • what happened on the podium?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited October 2012
    I wish work wasnt so nuts that I could watch this. Moncoutie going at 10km, decent effort, gets himself on tv again - knows how to keep his contract perfectly.

That crash sounds awful.

Rodriguez was my man for this one - very strong ride. Wiggins 20secs down and Martin 29secs down - expected more from Martin on what is a finish to suit him.

Realy shame for Anton. He took the win on this finish in stage 4 last year.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    That crash sounds awful.

A conveniently placed ambulance there.

25SPOarvesen001_380497c.jpg

Credit to Fran Reyes for the photo.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Goodness that shot is insane.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    RichN95 wrote:
    That crash sounds awful.

A conveniently placed ambulance there.

25SPOarvesen001_380497c.jpg

Credit to Fran Reyes for the photo.

That makes me feel a bit sick.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    It makes me shudder, but THAT is one of the most incredible photographs I have ever seen.
  • victorponf
    victorponf Posts: 1,187
    The final wall in Valdepeñas de Jaén:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlV3_tDc2VA:
    If you like Flandes, Roubaix or Eroica, you would like GP Canal de Castilla, www.gpcanaldecastilla.com
  • Tusher wrote:
    It makes me shudder, but THAT is one of the most incredible photographs I have ever seen.

Unbelievable. Some questions as to why his wheel can out like that I would think.
  • rick_chasey
    Tusher wrote:

Unbelievable. Some questions as to why his wheel can out like that I would think.

Hitting someone at 70kph I'd imagine does that.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    An incredible photo to capture the exact moment so clearly. So lucky that neither of them were seriously hurt, or worse.

No bike is likely to withstand an impact at 70km/h, in fact it's probably for the best that it did fail as that probably helps to dissipate the force of the impact on the kid.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • camerone
    Tusher wrote:

Also Pro mechanics file off the safety tabs on forks to speed up wheel changes..
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Tusher wrote:

Did you see the pics of the bike afterwards? It wasn't just the wheel that came out! :shock:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Tusher wrote:

There are lots of crashes at very high speed in professional cycling. I can't recall another one when the wheel has come out life that irrespective of hitting cars, road furniture, other riders or the road.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137

There are lots of crashes at very high speed in professional cycling. I can't recall another one when the wheel has come out life that irrespective of hitting cars, road furniture, other riders or the road.

Here's one (a really great photo):

1368466841.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • He's going to struggle to recover from there. Unbelievable pic.
  • Tusher wrote:

Flechas in the Tour also lost his front wheel. Sky mechanics aren't the best but wheels wil come out when the front of the bike is smashed up.