David Millar on BBC Hardtalk

lostboysaint
lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
edited August 2011 in Pro race
Trail fun - Transition Bandit
Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
Allround - Cotic Solaris

Comments

• Didn't he once dope to win bike races?

Kept that quiet didn't he :roll:

Who says cheats never prosper!
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    What a wanker .......
  • What a wanker .......

Nail. Hit. Head.

bc
    2013 Colnago Master 30th Anniversary
    2010 Colnago C50
    2005 Colnago C40
    2002 Colnago CT1
    2010 Colnago World Cup
    2013 Cinelli Supercorsa
    2009 Merckx LXM
    1995 Lemond Gan Team
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    Why a wanker? Yes, he comes across as a little bit arrogant when he said he found racing too easy, but if that was genuinely his experience then he's just being honest.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    I like St David.
    He must be heart-sick talking about his doping though. Even if he's good a book to promote.
  • lostboysaint
    AidanR wrote:
    Why a wanker? Yes, he comes across as a little bit arrogant when he said he found racing too easy, but if that was genuinely his experience then he's just being honest.

That.

Why is it that some people confuse honesty and plain speaking with arrogance? He said what he believed and, to be fair, his results over that period do somewhat tend to bear him out!
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    SUPERTALK!
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    To be fair in that World Champs TT that he 'won', he completely destroyed the field, so maybe he has a point.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,237
    Legend.

Ah whenever I hear him speak I really like him.

Good for him.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Legend.

Good for him.

I hope thats a genuine comment because i tend to agree.

Interesting bloke, good story, good rider, speaks his mind. Fall and rise is possibly one of the best books on cycling ever. So all in all, i like him, and fair play to him.
  • lostboysaint
    16 mins in and he's been very, very impressive so far!
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Legend.

Good for him.

Interesting bloke, good story, good rider, speaks his mind. Fall and rise is possibly one of the best books on cycling ever. So all in all, i like him, and fair play to him.

+1, Hope it's on iplayer tonite
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • lostboysaint
    It's on Iplayer now.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • stfc1
    stfc1 Posts: 505
    ddraver wrote:
    Legend.

Good for him.

+1, Hope it's on iplayer tonite

It's on actual telly tonight: BBC News at half past midnight.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Yeah I can only get BBC1 & 2 here so stuck with my illegal iplayer, thanks for the links all...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    What a wanker .......

Nail. Hit. Head.

bc

:roll: Posts like this make me wonder what some people actually want out of a person!? I don't really understand how you can watch that and reply as you have above!? Is it just an objection to his jacket?

Actually, don't bother replying to this. I guess some people like him and some people will never forgive him for doping despite what's happened since. Your choice I suppose but maybe a more articulate initial reply might have illustrated that point better.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    good interview. I like DM.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    DM is probably my favourite rider in the peleton atm.

Sure, he is pretty deeply flawed, and has a slightly odd dress sense

But he's not afraid to be outspoken as a rider, he's one of the only English speaking riders who put his hands up, admitted doping, and talks about why he doped, and how it made him feel.

Sure, he may well have ulterior when he speaks about doping these days, having realised that it keeps him in the media.

But I still think it's refreshing to hear a rider speak with such candour, rather than try and claim that they were only planning to dope, possibly, if his evil twin told him to.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Ok, here's my monologue about David Millar. I really, really want to like him. I'm a Scot and i wholeheartedly believe in second chances. My mate met him last year at the tdf and he pushed him up a wee bit of the Pyrennes and the next day at the rest day in Pau, Millar came over to him to say thanks - Chapeau with bells on ! 8) I enjoyed the interview more than his book, which to me still had a wee bit of the "woe unto me", "a big boy made me do it" as many of the early interviews did. I think he is one of the more cerebral members of the Peleton and perhaps i should forgive him his narcissism, after all what are autobiographies anyway.

If he wins the TT in Glasgow 2014 his redemption will be complete and the naysayers will bow at the alter of the greatest Millar since the previous one (and don't get me started on him)
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Ok, he's got a book to sell but most other riders would struggle in an interview like that.

The dress sense? :lol: I suppose it's better than a team-issue shell suit.
  • northstar
    northstar Posts: 407
    Ok, he's got a book to sell but most other riders would struggle in an interview like that.

+1

He was as open and honest as I think he could have been, the interviewer was asking some odd but kind of necessary questions though.
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • rick_chasey
    I like his dress sense.
  • rick_chasey
    I like his dress sense.

Are you David Millar?

hah, if only.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    I like his dress sense.

Are you David Millar?

hah, if only.

Would be pretty cool to have that TT and that Shirt.
  • rick_chasey
    I like his dress sense.

Are you David Millar?

hah, if only.

Would be pretty cool to have that TT and that Shirt.

The shirt'll do.
  • Bookmarked for enjoyment out of office hours, thanks for the link.

My dear lady wife has just bought me his autobiography as an anniversary present. As soon as I've finished Slaying The Badger I'm all over that bad boy.

'm happy to see past the medium to the message. His tone and style don't particularly put me off but I can see how others would have an issue. But what he says is, on the whole, informative, thought-provoking, interesting or a combination.
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    his book, which to me still had a wee bit of the "woe unto me", "a big boy made me do it"
    I didn't get that impression from the book at all. In fact, the thing that makes it a good book is the effort he goes to to explain that it's far far more complicated than that.