Vuelta stage 5 *spoiler*

FJS
FJS Posts: 4,820
edited August 2011 in Pro race
Not a mountain stage today, but lumpy, and with an extremely steep finish ramp on narrow streets, the same finish as last year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPADmm7ZzKQ

That finish climb is done halfway before doing a loop, so the riders will know what to expect.

They've started now, but there is 37 km neutralisation! They start at the Sierra Nevada summit.

Race website says Igor Anton is 'the only rider not to sign the startsheet', which presumably means he has abandoned?

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Not necessarily, riders can start without signing on, but will be fined for doing so.
  • FJS
    You're right - live ticker reports a peloton of 196 riders, same as finished yesterday. Still, it's not a sign of confidence
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    FJS wrote:
    You're right - live ticker reports a peloton of 196 riders, same as finished yesterday. Still, it's not a sign of confidence

He woke up late trying to rest those legs.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Typical.
    I have yet to pick the winner of a GT in PTP.
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    After a long neutral section as they came back down from Sierra Nevada, I think we have our break:

ALBASINI Michael
    SLAGTER Tom Jelte
    SAGAN Peter
    MADRAZO RUIZ Angel
    FRÖHLINGER Johannes
    MALACARNE Davide
    TAARAMAE Rein
    PALOMARES VILLAPLANA Adrian .

These 8 are together and just over a minute clear. (The official tracker actually says the gap is just over 6 hours . :lol: )
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,221
    Sagan's a but of a dangerous one for the break, no?

Can't see that one going too far.
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    Yep also Taaramae in there i hesitated before posting it, but they're both miles down on GC so only stage threats and the gap is still going out. Let's see if I was premature!.....
  • FJS
    Sagan's a but of a dangerous one for the break, no?

Can't see that one going too far.

Sagan is 25 minutes down in GC - he came in in the grupetto yesterday. QS won't give them lots of room aand Katusha will probably want to bring it back. But at least it means Liquigas won;t have to do any work.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,221
    I meant more for the stage!
  • FJS
    Hm, not sure - Albasini and Taaramae will fancy their chances on that ramp, even against Sagan, and the rest will be happy with publicity
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    42 out of 66 Pro Tour Punditeers recommend Joaquin Rodriguez on a stage like today.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    afx237vi wrote:
    42 out of 66 Pro Tour Punditeers recommend Joaquin Rodriguez on a stage like today.

Im one of them, but what do i know? I picked Anton for the overall :twisted:
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    afx237vi wrote:

He bloody well better do as well. Thats where my money (and PTP pick) went. Dont want Sagan screwing things up.

Surely this break will be back on the cat 2 climb before the descent and final ramp?
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    Christ look at kirt arveson (sp) bike! Completely mangled!
  • camerone
    Katusha working hard.
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Kloden dropped.......17 km to go!
  • camerone
    Leekigas now keeping pace high. Peloton decimated.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Anton at the back again!! Wiggins looking comfortable and well looked after, be interesting to see how he copes with the finish climb. Not his style of climb for sure.
  • Tom BB
    Anton is looking awful isn't he! Can't see him lasting 3 weeks!
  • Tom BB
    Hmm perhaps Kloden wasn't dropped then?....ITV4 commentator isn't sure now!
  • FJS
    yep, Anton dropped on 2nd cat climb
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    They're not hanging around on this descent are they!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Tom BB
    They're not hanging around on this descent are they!

Yep!....no where near full gas down there-Moncoutie is pretty awful downhill and he's taken time out of the Peloton-the Liquigas rider leading the decent has done most of it on the hoods :lol:
  • Tom BB
    Jeez Anton is struggling to keep up on a false flat now :shock:
  • Tom BB
    Haha I love the type of mental finish!! J-Rod gonna get this.....
  • sonny73
    Tom BB wrote:
    Anton is looking awful isn't he! Can't see him lasting 3 weeks!
    Same, really bad.
    Wiggins came in in the 2nd group. Looked to have done well.
  • FJS
    J-Rod gets it - Poels came very close :o

Moreno red, or Chavanel still?
  • FJS
    Chavanel keeps it with 9 seconds. Probably for a couple of days now
  • sonny73
    Nibali not as strong as I expected on that finish, still good mind you. Wiggins loses 9 seconds on Nibali, not bad at all for a finish like that.
  • FJS
    Sonny73 wrote:
    Nibali not as strong as I expected on that finish, still good mind you. Wiggins loses 9 seconds on Nibs, not bad at all for a finish like that.
    Nope. Last year he beat Purito, and he said this morning he wanted to win today. Now, both Anton and Nibs going down, that would be PTP massacre....