Hmm - carbon seat stays vs alu frame. Join looks odd...

ajoten
ajoten Posts: 321
edited August 2011 in Road beginners
So: where my carbon seat stays plug into the alu frame (Monoc Quattro) there's a bit of weird discolouration, almost as if there's paint peeling off. It ain't paint tho, you can't scratch it or anything, and what's "underneath" is pale, whereas I'd expect exposed carbfib to be dark.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56092580@N08/6072790041/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56092580@N08/6072790107/

Presumably it's just moving about a bit in its socket rather than anything dodgy?
Андрю
Alu is real.

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Looks like the glue they stick the thing together with
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    I'm guessing, but it look like the lquer coat that covers the frame is separating from the substrate - so forming a void at the underside of the laquer, like a see-through blister. Not structural, more cosmetic, and likely caused by flexing at the join area I'd suggest.
  • ajoten
    ajoten Posts: 321
    Oo, interesting. Thanks. Any chance that might result in a creak when I'm out of the saddle grinding uphill?
    Андрю
    Alu is real.
  • ajoten wrote:
    Oo, interesting. Thanks. Any chance that might result in a creak when I'm out of the saddle grinding uphill?[/quote

If it is just the paint, there should not be any problem. If it's the glue coming through, or something other than cosmetic then something could happen.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    It's the clear coat lifting slightly, purely cosmetic but suggest you remove the loose lacquer and reseal e.g. clear nail varnish. If you use something like MucOff to clean your bike, there's your probable cause. There's no way the glue would leech like that.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Almost certainly clearcoat lifting due to the potential difference between the composite and the alloy. See it all the time with old scotts where they had alloy riv-nuts in a carbon tube.