Map holders etc

KnightOfTheLongTights
KnightOfTheLongTights Posts: 1,415
edited September 2011 in Tour & expedition
Am looking at getting a map holder that velcros to the handlebars - are these any good or do they flap all over the place?

I'm not going to have a big handlebar bag so that's not an option, as I know some have mapcases built in on top.

Comments

• yer gran
    yer gran Posts: 186
    Got a zefal velcro thingy and I hate it. I catch my knees on it when I'm out of the saddle. Splits easily, although easily repaired with super glue. Either way I dont intend using it again. Spotted one with a rixen + kaul style attachment. Think I'll try that next.
  • jon1993
    jon1993 Posts: 596
    i made one out of a normal waterproof map bag then i used a plastic sheet only a fue mil thick and 4 tiewraps to the bars worked really well used a bit of innertube under the tiewraps to stop it scratching the bars but sat perfectly still to the bars and only weighed 32 grams and no wind resistance if placed right :) looked alright aswell
    Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Boardman team carbon 2010
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    I have a Zefal one. It is far better than everything else on the market I've seen. It has worked fine for me. Perhaps being a few years old it is well made, the plastic hasn't fogged or split and the velcro is fine although I don't use it. I find it sits nicely on top of my left front pannier which I strap it to or on top of my handle bar bag or did when I rode regularly. I like it although it could be ever so slightly larger to accommodate easily 2 panel widths of a folded OS 1:50,000 map. It can just that it's a bit of a squeeze as it is. Taking the card map covers off helps.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    a sheet of plastic , like an old vhs case for example. cut a rectangle , maybe nibble bits out of the corners and edges so you can see your computer and nount your lights, and make 3 pairs of holes in it so that 3 zip-ties hold it to the bars and stem. adjust the angle with some foam under it that could be incorporated into the zip-tying. adjust the shape as you want. rubber bands hold the map. you can ask the postie for them or just follow her until she drops some. don't let her see you, though.

you could use hardboard. rubber bands made from strips of inner tube are very hard-wearing.

I like to laminate the maps.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    priory wrote:
    a sheet of plastic , like an old vhs case for example. cut a rectangle , maybe nibble bits out of the corners and edges so you can see your computer and nount your lights, and make 3 pairs of holes in it so that 3 zip-ties hold it to the bars and stem. adjust the angle with some foam under it that could be incorporated into the zip-tying. adjust the shape as you want. rubber bands hold the map. you can ask the postie for them or just follow her until she drops some. don't let her see you, though.

you could use hardboard. rubber bands made from strips of inner tube are very hard-wearing.

I like to laminate the maps.

That was my solution too. I just stick the map in a clear plastic bag and bull-dog clip it onto the plastic panel. Costs nothing, weighs nearly nothing and has done the job for many 1000's of miles.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    I highly recommend one of these map holders:

http://gbr.garmin.com/edge800/edge800.html

:wink:

Joking (sort of, I do use GPS sometimes) - when I use a map holder, I have the Polaris MapTrap and it's brilliant. Holds on with three big cable ties (one on stem and two on bars) and is spot on for holding a map or route sheet.
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    Try Poundshop and Poundland...Some have bike bits and bobs..inc map holders
    jc