Trek 5500

clu
clu Posts: 89
edited August 2011 in Your road bikes
I've looked at other peoples pride and joys on here for a while, so I thought I'd put my bike on here too. I've had this bike for a while now, but I still like it.

6068748368_7a47c1cb83_z.jpg

Slightly different camera angle:
6068202077_971ef37dd3_z.jpg

6068202273_65e6fed5be_z.jpg

6068749008_deff883dfc_z.jpg

6068749302_07f08d0646_z.jpg

Frame: Trek 5500 (OCLV 120, 54cm frame)
Forks: Easton EC90 SL
Bars: Bontrager
Stem: 3T Team
Headset: Chris King Nothreadset
Bar Tape: Bontrager

Front/Rear Brakes: Shimano Dura Ace 7800

Shifters: Shimano Dura Ace 7800
Cables: Shimano Cables
Front Mech: Shimano Dura Ace 7800
Rear Mech: Shimano Dura Ace 7800

Seat: Selle Italia C2 Gel Flow
Seat Post: Bontrager Race XXX-Lite 20mm offset
Seat Post Clamp: Token Superlite CNC 7075 Seat Clamp Ti Bolt

Cranks: Shimano Dura Ace 7800
Chainring(s): Shimano Dura Ace 7800 53-39
Chain: Shimano Ultegra 6600
Cassette: Shimano 6700 12-25
Pedals: Look Keo Carbon
Bottom Bracket: Shimano Dura Ace 7800

Front Wheel: Bontrager Race X-Lite
Tyre: Michelin Krylion Carbon

Back Wheel: Bontrager Race X-Lite
Tyre: Michelin Krylion Carbon

Accessories: Shimano FlightDeck computer with a Garmin Edge 500. There's a bracket on the stem for a Garmin Edge 705 as well. There's a Blackburn Carbon Airstick Pump with the Elite bottle cages.

Weight: No idea, but it feels pretty light. :D

Other info: I've had this bike since 2004 when I used it to do triathlon racing for a couple of years, but now I just enjoy riding it during the weekends. The frame is just the bare carbon with a glossy lacquer over it, it looks even better with your own eyes and not in a photo. The bike isn't standard anymore, I've replaced some of the original components. The forks,stem and headset are a recent addition to the bike. The forks are full carbon and did originally have a matte carbon finish which I didn't like, so I took them to Argos Cycles to have a glossy lacquer put on them to match the frame. I think in time I'll change the wheels for something else, but at the moment I'll stay with the current ones that are on the bike.
2004 Trek 5500 OCLV
2014 Cervelo R3 Black/Blue
2018 Cervelo R3 Disc Navy/Red
2018 Trek Domane SL 5 Disc Grey
2020 Trek Domane SL 5 Disc Matte Navy

Comments

• Jrandell
    Jrandell Posts: 20
    thats very nice! :)
    Boardman Team Carbon 2010
  • 3 computer mounts?! is the garmin not enough?
  • Nairnster
    Nairnster Posts: 602
    You go 3 times faster with 3 computers showing your speed ;-)

Nice bike though
  • nice, were you cycling around hambrook today? i think i saw a bike like that....
  • clu
    clu Posts: 89
    Thanks for the replies and compliments.

The flightdeck computer was first fitted when I bought the bike, I use it for the usual speed, distance and time very simple to use with the buttons on the STI levers. But the main reason was for the display of the gears on the computer which I really like, I find it easier to take in the gear setting at a quick glance on the computer instead of having to take a longer look at the back of the bike. Means I wont end up veering off the road towards the kerb at high speed.

The Garmin 500 is used mainly for heart rate, gradient and cadence. I tend to keep the display set on the same page all the time, I find it easier so I'm not messing around with the unit during a ride.

If I'm going on an exploratory ride to map out a new route I'll put the Garmin 705 on and take the Garmin 500 off, I agree that would be a bit much having 3 computers on the bike at the same time. If I'm using the Garmin 705 I'll just have it set to display the map with the heart rate displayed too. You do go faster, particularly downhill because the bike is approximately 100 grams heavier with the additional computer. :wink:

I always use my heart rate monitor with every ride, not only to monitor how I'm going but also to make sure that I don't over do it as I have a heart murmur. I've been told by a doctor that currently it's not getting any worse, I would like to do some more racing but I've decided to tone things down a bit now.

I do pass through hambrook to and from work on my other bike (Same frame with a different colour, a lower component spec and crud racer mudguards) and also when I go out for a ride (if I do the wotton under edge area, it has some great hills and georgeous views).
    2004 Trek 5500 OCLV
    2014 Cervelo R3 Black/Blue
    2018 Cervelo R3 Disc Navy/Red
    2018 Trek Domane SL 5 Disc Grey
    2020 Trek Domane SL 5 Disc Matte Navy