Old Peugeot Triathlon frame - keep or ditch?

lifeform
lifeform Posts: 126
edited October 2011 in Road general
I've been given an XXL Triathlon frame and forks - in okay condition, except for the gear side dropout has sheared where it joins the lower frame arm, a couple of dings, a few sniffs of rust. Got access to the other gubbins, including the quill stem, canti-brakes, and seat post if I want them.

My roadie is now entirely focused on lycra and cleats, and I flogged my urbanised MTB a few months back, so could do with something to ride casually into town, down the pub etc.

As I'm thinking of replacing the wheels on the Trek, I'm potentially just looking at the oily bits and cables once the frame is fixed.

Can't go SS/Fixie though - too many effin' steep hills round here, so would have to keep the 7 speed shimano rear if I use the wheels off the Trek.

So, the several-hundred-quid-down-the-drain-question; Worth the effort restoring/converting, or just throw £2 in fuel at it to take it to the tip?

Comments

• alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    With the drop out knackered I'd recycle it.
  • lifeform
    Yeah, you're right Alan.

£150 for a pair of dropouts on an 80s middling Peugeot frame is just a waste of cash.
  • mz__jo
    mz__jo Posts: 398
    Buy or scrounge a cheap shimano gear hanger (off a Tourney derailleur or they are sold separately as well). Mtb skewer might be needed as well. Bit of work with a file and you're away. Useful as no-one will want to pinch a bike like that either.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I restored a 1990 Triathlon for a friend - it is a nice bike to ride if that helps!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • ynyswen24
    ynyswen24 Posts: 703
    mz__jo wrote:
    Buy or scrounge a cheap shimano gear hanger (off a Tourney derailleur or they are sold separately as well). Mtb skewer might be needed as well. Bit of work with a file and you're away. Useful as no-one will want to pinch a bike like that either.

Not if the dropout itself has sheared away from the chainstay, which is how it reads. Sadly, sounds like this one is dead...
  • mz__jo
    ynyswen24 wrote:
    mz__jo wrote:

Not if the dropout itself has sheared away from the chainstay, which is how it reads. Sadly, sounds like this one is dead...

Sorry, my mistake. Should have read the post more carefully!! But in that case replacement of the drop-out is not that expensive if the frame is worth it. Worth googling Argos, Bob Jackson and a few other frame builders to see the menu price for a drop-out (I wouldn't pay for the frame finish though, that I'd do with a few aerosols).
  • lifeform
    Nah - for a lot less than £150 I can pick up one of a similar vintage with all it's parts and not requiring welding, new mech, wheels, etc.

Shame really, the welding on the frame is beautiful compared with the cack-handed YTS effort on my Trek's Taiwanese made frame.
  • mz__jo
    Argos single drop-out £85 (I don't know if it is more for an ally frame; is yours steel?) Still more than its worth to you perhaps. If it was mine and a question of sending it to the dump I would have a go at doing it myself, just for the fun, but then I'm like that.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I just got an 80's Pug triathlon working again. The frame is nothing special, so I wouldn't have bothered if it needed fixing.

Probably spent £70 on paint, new tyres, tubes, brakes, cables, chain, saddle and bar tape, and ended up with a bike worth about half that amount!
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    It doesn't have the downtube shifters does it? I'm after a pair it you're binning it, if so please PM me a price.

I've got an 80's Peugeot Grand Prix in need of some bits and bobs.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I got some lovely retro looking Shimano band on downtube shifters from Spa Cycles
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    keef66 wrote:
    I got some lovely retro looking Shimano band on downtube shifters from Spa Cycles

Cheers, I'll take a look but would prefer braze on's if possible - I'll have a butchers and see what they've got..

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009