Felt F5

munzy
munzy Posts: 111
edited February 2012 in Your road bikes
After about a year and a half of road biking and what feels like as much time choosing a bike I got my 2011 F5 today and can't wait to get out on her!

6035546252_6183b9df9c_z.jpg

coming from a 2008 GTR Series 2 .

Have changed: the wheels to my Fulcrum 5, tyres to GP4000s and put a double wrap of bar tape on.

Comments

• BoydD
    BoydD Posts: 68
    Great looking bike Munzy, I wasn't aware you could double wrap the bars, does it make a lot of difference?
    Giant Defy Advanced
    Cannondale Super Six 105
    Spesh Rockhopper
  • munzy
    Thanks Boyd.

I found that double wrapping the bars (used Specialized Roubix) made for a much more comfortable ride for my palms when on the hoods, the bars when climbing on my last bike and noticed a couple of pros had it on theirs so gave it a try.

Its hard to get the barplugs in and the tape neat at the same time but the extra comfort is well worth it imo.
  • That's pretty tasty.
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    Nice bike, altho personally i would do something about the stem, as regards double wrapping bar tape, the trick is to just double wrap the top of the bars to the hoods, still looks nice tho.
  • munzy
    Thanks Brin, that makes sense with the bar tape :)

Had my first 2 proper rides over the weekend. a 65 mile club run and a 24 mile solo training run.

2 big differences over my previous bike, GTR Series 2 compact geo:

1 - I prefer the racer geo of the F5 and the bike just fits me better - much more comfortable especially on the drops as I'm stretched out more and felt(!) fresher after my training ride due to better fit.

2 - when it comes to the last 3rd of a climb or pushing along working hard and I usually try that last push that comes to no avail, on the F5 it gives back what you put in - whenever I manage to put a bit extra into the pedals it results in a noticible postive reaction from the bike. I'd imagine this is due to the stiffness of the frame and marked weight loss compared to my GTR.

Lovin' it! :)
    (of course this all might just be New Shiny BIke Syndrome!)

Going to order an Ultegra chainset but have just noticed there is a grey(almost black one) that might suit the F5 more....

item_164764.jpg
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I think your current chainset looks great on that bike. Getting a new one won't improve the way the bike rides one bit (I have DuraAce and can't tell the difference).

If you want to spend money get some 1500g wheels, the Fulcrum 5's are about 1760g which is not at all bad - but you'd be better spending cash there than on a crankset.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • unixnerd wrote:
    I think your current chainset looks great on that bike. Getting a new one won't improve the way the bike rides one bit (I have DuraAce and can't tell the difference).

If you want to spend money get some 1500g wheels, the Fulcrum 5's are about 1760g which is not at all bad - but you'd be better spending cash there than on a crankset.
    sort me agree. i had a fsa gossamer which i then changed to an ultegra and it was a big improvement on shifting. But it didnt make me go any faster. Where as simply changing to lighter tyres and tubes did. So lowering wheel weight should help more.
  • +1 to the Dr above, great bike looks real nice, but if you want to go faster, invest in a good set of wheels, a set of Zipps, ive got 303's on mine or a good box section wheel and they will spin up faster for sure.

I use Specialized gel pads instead of double tape its much more tidy, wouldnt bother changing the crank, only if you want different gearing leave it how it is, if you want better shifting change to a better set of cabling.....
    Helmand Province is such a nice place.....
  • At least it's not a Boardman.
  • At least it's not a Boardman.

what significance does that have?! i guess you don't like 1 or more of 3 things:
    1: you don't like boardmans
    2: you don't like halfords
    3: you don't like Chris Boardman MBE.
  • munzy
    Cheers for the comments and advise guys. I have just always fancied a set of those Ultegra cranks, pure vanity I know :oops:

I was going to get a F4 which has full Ultegra but it was £750 more than my F5 (with same frame) and I would still have had to get better wheels to make a substantial upgrade over my Fulcrum's. So the F5 at £1250 plus the new cranks, new shoes and pedals I still can get some real nice wheels but will probably wait til spring.
  • Hi
    Nice bike you have there
    I'am thinking about buying Felt F5. I can not try the bike before order it, because they don't have it in the stores in Denmark.I have to order the rigth size..
    I would like to knowthe size of youre bike, how tall you are, and your inseam messurement.
  • Lovely looking bike there.

Personally I think the Ultegra crank looks ugly. The one you already have on looks way better.
  • Hi
    Nice bike you have there
    I'am thinking about buying Felt F5. I can not try the bike before order it, because they don't have it in the stores in Denmark.I have to order the rigth size..
    I would like to knowthe size of youre bike, how tall you are, and your inseam messurement.