reasons not to choose Campag ?

hot66
hot66 Posts: 17
edited August 2011 in Road buying advice
I'm in process of speccing up my custom road bike, based around a Rourke frameset :)

2 things I'm struggling to decide on ... colour & groupset

colour .. that's for a different thread :D

so , groupset ....... I've always run shimano on my Mountain bikes for the past 23 years, but I don't like the aesthetics of the Ultegra crankset , so that leave's me with Sram or Campag. Problem is, my frame is a nice steel style, pantied in a tradition style & thus I'm worried carbon cranksets might look out of place ?

I know there are loads of campag fans, but what are the reasons for NOT choosing campag ?

What would you choose ?

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    So don't choose a Carbon crankset?!!

Athena is all alloy aside from the levers (which sadly can't be had either in painted black or carbon).

Or, for 10 speed simpleness you can get a mostly alloy Centaur setup.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    If you're looking for pretty much showoff - bling stuff then it's up to you what you think will give you the most sparkle for your dollar. The big three all feature top of the line flash(depending on your viewpoint). And as an extra bonus, all three actually work really well.
  • You can get Veloce in alloy too...

http://www.shinybikes.com/campagnolo-ve ... -2011.html
  • clx1
    clx1 Posts: 200
    There aren't any good reasons for not choosing Campag.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    There are none, just do it ...
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Only down side I have found?

A distinct lack of LBS who deal in Campagnolo. I have learned that it is better just to do the work yourself.
    Saves a fortune :P once you have the tools.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • daviesee wrote:
    A distinct lack of LBS who deal in Campagnolo..

"Hmm ... I don't see much Campag around here".
  • hot66
    I have no worries on the maintenance side of things as my main hobby is classic cars etc so fine with a spanner :)

One of the reasons suggested not to go with Campag was the lack of potential compatability with 'future' & 'past' campag & possibility of difficulty to get parts for older campag ??

Asthetics, the other day I saw an immaculate steel Colnago with alloy campag ... it was a thing of beauty :)

Although,depending on what colour I finally choose, maybe a carbon chainset would look OK ??

So, consensus here is Campag over Sram ?
  • rajMAN
    rajMAN Posts: 429

+1
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    thumb hifters and silly freehub bodies.
  • rolf_f
    anto164 wrote:
    thumb hifters and silly freehub bodies.

But the thumb shifters are great and - well I have no idea what you mean by "silly freehub bodies"!!
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Italy and reliability just don't go together but they sure know how to make something look good..... bikes, motorbikes, cars, clothes, women and the food isn't bad either.
  • CLX1 wrote:
    There aren't any good reasons for not choosing Campag.
    this
    this
    Rolf F wrote:
    But the thumb shifters are great and - well I have no idea what you mean by "silly freehub bodies"!!
    And this.
  • Only you can decide but I'd say Athena.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Dura Ace?
  • As stated in a recent Campag question - using Campagnolo makes you more attractive to women and a better person in general.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Campag thumb shifters are different to Shimano 2300/Sora ones. They're bigger and further back - nearer the bars. This means you can reach them on the drops (if you hands are behind the levers).

As for future proof - there are always bits going on ebay and NOS so I wouldn't worry.

Another thing to consider is if you go for Powershift or Ultrashift levers. Powershift is more like Shimano is that it's 3 jumps with the lever arms and 1 jump with the buttons. With Ultrashift, the buttons are actually small ratchet levers and will shift up to 5 in one go.
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    Thinner 11 speed chains are weaker and have a shorter life span?
  • JD_76
    JD_76 Posts: 236
    Bozman wrote:
    Italy and reliability just don't go together but they sure know how to make something look good..... bikes, motorbikes, cars, clothes, women and the food isn't bad either.

+1

Get the Sram.
  • Jeepie wrote:

Hmm...
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    Yeah - certainly a bit hmmm..................... Surely thinner chains last less long?
  • mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    Never used Campag stuff personally, however i'd certainly go for either silver Veloce or the alloy Athena group on an old steel frame renovation purely on looks 8)
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    I had a road bike with Campagnolo gears & I found the hoods to be very uncomfortable - Shimano ones were much more usable for me. Might not be the same for you though (try before you buy?).
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Bozman wrote:
    I'll just take the bikes, cars and women thanks, ooh and some of the food too :wink:
  • rolf_f
    Jeepie wrote:

So you are recommending Campagnolo 10 speed groupsets?!
  • hot66
    is Italian reliability an issue these days ?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Go to a good bike shop and try all three makes and buy which ever one feels best for you. The differences between them are sop pathetically minescule it does nt matter what you choose. If you don't like the Ultergra Crankset, get an FSA/Controltech/Whoever one
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    Jeepie wrote:

No. I've been using them since they came out and had no problems.
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!