Replacement parts for kids bikes?

TVOR
TVOR Posts: 3
Hi all... first post here and all that although I've been lurking round here and MTB for a while.

I've got a problem...

Ridgeback mx14 kids bike... left on driveway... enter wife in car... = bent cranks, broken pedals and broken back brake.

Frame, seat, cockpit and wheels are all fine bar a few light scratches so I take it to Evans. The guy there takes one look at it from 10 feet across the showroom and just shakes his head... cheaper to buy a new one mate he says. Twunt...

Teenager at Halfrauds hasn't got a clue and says he'll have to phone Evans, "because they make Ridgebacks" he says. Eh?!?

So, I decide to do it myself... surely it'll be a peice of p*** says I... I've been trying to source spares...with absolutely no results for two weeks now.

Has anybody here experienced the same?

Any ideas where to get spare cranks for a kids bike? surely there must be a supplier somewhere?

Comments

• Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    Ridgeback is part of the Madison empire, the same people who import Shimano into the UK - it might be worth talking to them first.

Otherwise, if your LBS deals with any of the other big cycle parts importers like RJ Chicken or Fisher Outdoor - you should be able to source most suitable replacement parts from their catalogues....
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Pseudonym wrote:
    Ridgeback is part of the Madison empire, the same people who import Shimano into the UK - it might be worth talking to them first.

Otherwise, if your LBS deals with any of the other big cycle parts importers like RJ Chicken or Fisher Outdoor - you should be able to source most suitable replacement parts from their catalogues....

Ahh... are you showing a softer caring side in the Family and Kids forum? :)
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    Pseudonym wrote:

if you like - but as far as I'm concerned, I'm just answering a question... ;)
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Pseudonym wrote:
    Pseudonym wrote:

And very politely answered it was too. :)
  • TVOR
    TVOR Posts: 3
    Pseudonym wrote:
    Pseudonym wrote:

And very politely answered it was too. :)

Yes it was, thanks.

I've tried emailing Madison direct but the bloke who seemingly picks up their generic customer service emails is permanently out of the office.

I hate to say it but I haven't really got a useful LBS but I'll try some of the smaller guys as you suggest, cheers.