looking for a garmin/gps

ianbar
ianbar Posts: 1,354
edited August 2011 in Road beginners
currently using map my ride on my iphone but the battery gives out nearing 3 hours so starting to look for a garmin and hoping for a few pointers.
have seen the garmin edge 500 with heart rate and cadence, that seems to get a good write up. silly queestion if i sync it up after a ride will i be able to look at my route like i ca with map my ride? as i really like that feature. plus i asume i will need to buy a heart rate monitor and cadance sensor to go with it?
enigma esprit
cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012

Comments

• Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    I got one of the reduced Garmin 500s from Bestbuy last week. It has been great so far. Yes it does show a map on your computer, but not on the device.

There are at least two main packages. The unit itself which is what I have. It comes without cadence or heartrate and is working fine so far. It can synch with both when I buy the add-ons. They are about £35 each. It's working very well so far without anything.

The unit with heart-rate and cadence is more expensive and comes with the sensors supplied. You don't need anything else.
  • Barrzy257
    Barrzy257 Posts: 411
    How about the Garmin Edge 800, anybody currently use one? The reason I'd prefer the 800 to the 500 is the on screen mapping
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    You can usually pick up a Garmin Forerunner 305 for under 100 quid. That comes with a heart strap. Cadence meter (as above) and a bike bracket are the only other things you need. Garmin Connect (on-line) then maps your ride and stores stats. If you really want to you can import GPX files into MapMyRide but there's no real point. Battery life is 10 hours and it can be used as a running watch, skiing/boarding, walking etc for a bit more flexible than the 500 with, as far as I can tell, no real downsides.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    The Edge 500 uses the same mount as the Forerunner 310xt. So you can use the QR strap that is intended for the 310xt with the Edge 500 and use it as a running watch as well. Even without the watch strap I'm not sure what would make the 305 more flexible than the 500.
    More problems but still living....
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I bought a Garmin Edge 500 and was disappointed to learn that I couldn't navigate with it (doh!). However I have managed to get navigation to work for me. See this thread and particularly the comment by Markshaw77 on page 3 which explains how to use .tcx files and add coursepoints for navigation on the 500. Navigation is far easier with the 800 but the 500 suits me so far for occasional direction giving and gives pretty nifty stats and graphs of rides you do....

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... sc&start=0
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    amaferanga wrote:
    Even without the watch strap I'm not sure what would make the 305 more flexible than the 500.
    The Forerunner 305 is a proper combined bike and running watch but the Edge would always just be a bike computer slapped on your wrist.
    The forerunner will give you pace (mins/km) when running and speed (kph) when you're cycling. You can set different screen displays for each sport (3 sports actually) and toggle between them rather than having to go deep into the menus and change data fields depending on what sport you're doing today. The forerunner has multisport mode so you can change between sports mid-workout for triathlons, duathlons, brick sessions etc. There are other differences I'm sure.

If you run and bike and only want one gps, there really is no contest.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga wrote:
    Even without the watch strap I'm not sure what would make the 305 more flexible than the 500.
    The Forerunner 305 is a proper combined bike and running watch but the Edge would always just be a bike computer slapped on your wrist.
    The forerunner will give you pace (mins/km) when running and speed (kph) when you're cycling. You can set different screen displays for each sport (3 sports actually) and toggle between them rather than having to go deep into the menus and change data fields depending on what sport you're doing today. The forerunner has multisport mode so you can change between sports mid-workout for triathlons, duathlons, brick sessions etc. There are other differences I'm sure.

Yep, Forerunner 310xt wins hands down.
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    amaferanga wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:

Only if you value the ability to swim in it (still without gps) and battery life beyond 8 hours at £100 ish, or really like orange. For most normal running and biking people neither are relevant. ianbar has certainly not suggested he rides for 8+ hours or wants to submerge his computer.

ianbar - if it's just for cycling, then you're probably right to be looking at a Garmin Edge. You need to do the price v features calculation for yourself. It'll likely boil down to the 500 if you don't want mapping, 800 if you do. You can get bundles with HR and cadence. Handtec is normally the cheapest place to buy. If you don't want maps then at current prices, I think it is still worth considering the Forerunner 305 and its QR kit (NOT the standalone bike mount) even just for cycling unless you see a feature on the Edge 500 that you really really want (elevation graph? heartrate graph?)
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Barrzy257 wrote:
    How about the Garmin Edge 800, anybody currently use one? The reason I'd prefer the 800 to the 500 is the on screen mapping

I have the 705 and like it - and despite the larger screen of the 800 I thnk I prefer the physical buttons on the 705, and the screen is planty big enough for me.
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    I have owned or own...

- Forerunner 301 (sold)
    - Forerunner 310XT (current)
    - Forerunner 405 (dead - water damage from swimming!)
    - FR60 (current)
    - Edge 705 (sold)
    - Edge 800 (current)

The Edge 800 is a great improvement over the 705. I could tell you why it's better, but there is little point as both these reviews cover the advantages:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... 0-11-44426
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/08/garm ... -look.html
    The 705 is still a great device, so if you can get a bargain - then it's an option.
    I can't comment on the Edge 500 as haven't owned one. But it sounds basically like the 800 without the nav, which is good news. I would guess the 500 would be like the 301 in terms of size for running... which I personally found a little large.

I bought the 405 to wear as a everyday watch - save me having to kit up for the gym every day, as well as tracking time in the pool. Sadly, as per the manual - it's not designed for swimming - but did last about 2 weeks, so not that bad.
    My FR60 is what I now wear as a 'watch' (which also does me my HR in the gym)

The 310XT is a great piece of kit. I use this mainly on the MTB... where I'm usually just interest in tracking distance and HR. I also used it on the road bike for a while, but wanted navigation. One of the main reasons for going for the 310XT over the 305 was the very long battery life. The 305 is only rated at a max of 10 hrs vs 20 hrs of the 310XT.
    As I have done a few 8 and 12hr events, I wanted a device that could easily last for them. I guess if you do long Sportives, it also means you don't have to worry about switching off the device when stopped etc.
    Other advantage is being fully waterproof. It makes it very easy to clean as you don't have to be careful about getting it 'too wet. The 305 is much better value.

Summary... would probably go for the 500 if I didn't want navigation and only used it on the road. The 310XT if I wanted more flexibility for running, off-road use, long battery life etc - the most flexible if you ever plan to do any triathlon or duathlon events. And obviously the 800 if you want navigation.

If I was on a budget, then the 305 would be tempting as would the 705.

Choose one device... hard one.... 301XT.
    Simon
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:

Only if you value the ability to swim in it (still without gps) and battery life beyond 8 hours at £100 ish, or really like orange. For most normal running and biking people neither are relevant. ianbar has certainly not suggested he rides for 8+ hours or wants to submerge his computer.

There's no doubt though that the best Garmin if you run and bike is the 310XT. It may not be the best value for money, but it's still the best. It'll also work with a power meter.

The 305 is old and really looks its age now. I'd not pay £100 for one when you can get an Edge 500 for £99.07 (or at least you could last week :wink:).
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    thank you for all your replies, it has been very helpful.
    i did used to run but since i got the bike i have basically given up on that, and really if i was to run alot i could always still use map my ride since the battery would cover me for that.
    the 500 looks the way to go. seen a good price on tesco direct actually with cadence and hr included so may plumb for that after a little more shopping around.
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    705 with HR and Cadence was fine, until it fell off my bike and got 'lost'.

the 800 is a slightly better device than the 705, but not by much.

On screen map with turn by turn is on both, slightly easier to see on 800.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Paul057
    Paul057 Posts: 167
    I bought a Garmin Edge 500 and was disappointed to learn that I couldn't navigate with it (doh!). However I have managed to get navigation to work for me. See this thread and particularly the comment by Markshaw77 on page 3 which explains how to use .tcx files and add coursepoints for navigation on the 500. Navigation is far easier with the 800 but the 500 suits me so far for occasional direction giving and gives pretty nifty stats and graphs of rides you do....

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... sc&start=0

Great link Headhunter, thanks. I was thinking of getting the 800 but as long as i can navigate using the 500, i'll keep the £100 difference to spend on some other bit of bike related kit! :wink:
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I bought an Edge 800 about 3weeks ago............. oooh baby, it's ACE !!!!

I can highly recommend it. It'll display just about everything you want in up to three customisable screens, has a virtual training partner and mapping. As I said, it's ACE !!! Go and have a look at one in a shop, you'll be hooked !!!

If you do go for the 800, go for the trail package (Evand have the best price at the mo and call it the Endurance package). It comes with the 1:50000 OS mapping, but you can still do turn by turn navigation, as you can with the street mapping package.

The only down side I've found, is that on the first few rides, you can't take your eyes off it :lol:

Did I mention, it's ACE !!!
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Paul057
    Paul057 Posts: 167
    MattC59 wrote:
    I bought an Edge 800 about 3weeks ago............. oooh baby, it's ACE !!!!

I can highly recommend it. It'll display just about everything you want in up to three customisable screens, has a virtual training partner and mapping. As I said, it's ACE !!! Go and have a look at one in a shop, you'll be hooked !!!

If you do go for the 800, go for the trail package (Evand have the best price at the mo and call it the Endurance package). It comes with the 1:50000 OS mapping, but you can still do turn by turn navigation, as you can with the street mapping package.

The only down side I've found, is that on the first few rides, you can't take your eyes off it :lol:

Did I mention, it's ACE !!!

AAAAGGGHHHH!!!!! Thats what bothers me about going for the 500 - i know the 800 would be ACE, and i know i'd end up wishing i'd stumped up the extra cash. It's a hell of a lot of money though. Decisions, decisions, decisions (...and talking the wife round) :roll:
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Barrzy257 wrote:

I've got one - but didnt pay the extra for the OS Maps to allow full navigation. I'm tempted to get them when i have the spare cash. Cracking bit of kit.

Handtec seem to offer some very good deals generally.

There was a new unused Garmin Edge 500 on the local MTB forum near me and its located not a million miles from me near Chester. Been on since July 26th at £145 - can ask if its available if anyone is interested?? Guess he may drop the price a little after over 2 weeks
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    rafletcher wrote:
    Barrzy257 wrote:

I have the 705 and like it - and despite the larger screen of the 800 I thnk I prefer the physical buttons on the 705, and the screen is planty big enough for me.

Yep agree with that and new old stock 705s can be had for far less than an 800. If you don't want on screen mapping then the 500 is the cookie to go for.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    amaferanga wrote:

Absolutely. There's a reason that Garmin still make the Forerunner 305 despite having launched 4 or 5 GPS "watches" since.

It's great value for money, operates with footpod, cadence meter, HRM, Power meter, 10 hour battery life, multisport mode, 3 fully customisable screens with up to 4 items per screen, excellent water resistance, auto-lap, trackback, virtual training partner etc etc. I've used mine for everything from cycling, walking, running to snowboarding (great for mapping your runs at Whistler - though it looks a bit odd on Google Earth as there's no snow on the picture).

I've lost two 305s (god knows what I do with them) and each time I've considered the alternatives and found the 305 actually better for what I want. The only real improvement Garmin seem to have made in later models is to try to correct their hopeless calorie calculations
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    To the OP, there are better apps on the iphone that don't suck battery like mapmyride. I use Cyclemeter which is £2,99 and there's Endomondo, for free. Both can run with the screen off, and use not much battery atall. Cyclemeter I found very good for the cash, I have it in my pocket with alerts going to the headphones. Just while you decide on Garmin purchases ...
  • defy3man
    defy3man Posts: 68
    I have a Garmin Edge 305 and have to say I am really impressed with it. It gives me all the info I need including cadence & heart rate, don't really need colour or maps as I know where I am. :lol:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    defy3man wrote:
    I have a Garmin Edge 305 and have to say I am really impressed with it. It gives me all the info I need including cadence & heart rate, don't really need colour or maps as I know where I am. :lol:

Yeah, I can see why you might not need maps :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......