ME / CFS Distance Callenge urgent help please

yanktanks
yanktanks Posts: 60
edited August 2011 in Health, fitness & training
Hi Guys & Gals.

I am hoping that you may be able to give me some help or advice.

I am a 44 year old male who suffers with ME /Chronic fatuige syndrome and fibromyalgia.

I usually ride 3-5 miles 4-5 times a week around towpaths and our local park to try and keep some level or fitness.

I am trying to raise money for the ME association and have just been volentered to ride 12 miles around Cardingham woods in Cornwall twice in a week whilst on Holiday.

The problem is In have only been given 10 Days notice. Can anyone tell me what if anything can I do to try and inprove my fitness / riding levels within the 10 days so that it does not hurt so much.

I know this is anly a small distance change for normall people but for someone with Me this is going to hurt

Thanks
Martin

Comments

• explosifpete
    explosifpete Posts: 1,327
    Hi martin,

I was diagnosed with cfs a couple years back (normal nhs style where the said that was what was wrong but just to go home and it will fix its self in time with no explanation of what it is)
    It now my belief that in my case it was brought on by stress as I tend to have the stiff upper lip stay calm attitude and never used to show much emotions even thought i had a rough time of it.
    For me the cycling really helped as i could get out and enjoy it leaving the days worries behind.
    I think that you can easily complete this challenge and all you need to do is take it easy and enjoy it, you will be riding in a lovely place so what could be better.
    Best of luck and make sure you post how you do

:D
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Though not many people know on these boards, I was diagnosed with severe ME/PVFS in 2006 which was brought on by repeated bouts of glandular fever and a previous diagnosed adrenal tumour. I am still recovering, and have to pace myself very carefully.

There is no doubt the cycling has made a big difference to me. 5 years ago I could barely cycle 2 miles, but today cycling is my life and I'm getting much better.

But again, the key is careful pacing and never overdo it. Personally I don't think there is much you can do in 10 days to improve fitness, but if you do go for it, take it very easy and makes sure you are properly fueled and hydrated.

But don't force it. If you feel crap halfway through do the the right thing and get help. My doctor told me I was making myself worse by pushing too hard. You don't wanna be worse!

Let me know how to sponsor you though!
  • My wife has ME/CFS/Fybromyalgia so I understand the problems it brings.

I think the advice from Supersonic is good and I would have said similar. At the end of the day you know your body so take it easy, listen to what it is telling you and react accordingly.

If you let me know where I can sponsor you I will go raid the piggy bank.
  • sfichele
    sfichele Posts: 605
    Equally, the above posts are very helpful and stress the importance of not overdoing it.
    I don't think there is a magic bullet to improve your fitness in 10 days, but if you do the ride I'll happily sponsor you.

I too was diagnosed with ME in after a bout of Glandular Fever in 1997 and felt awful thereafter for around a decade.
  • Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice, I will try and stick to it but am determined to do the ride and will post pictures when finished.

I have put the details of my just giving page below and would appreciate any donations made

thanks

Martin

http://www.justgiving.com/Martin-Nutt0
  • Hi Guys,

Thanks for all Your help, support and donations.

Well We managed the rides around cardingham woods, and found it really enjoyable but also very hard and both times it took me 2-3 days to recover, enough to be able t go out again.

I will post the pictures soon and a big thanks to you all

Regards

Martin