How important is a warranty?

greasedscotsman
greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
edited August 2011 in Road buying advice
As the title says really. When your buying a new bike, how important is it to you. From reading this forum it seems that some manufacturers have a better warranty than others. Does this sway your choice of bike at all? Also I’ve seen a number of frames on sale which are not through proper dealers so seemingly don’t have any warranty cover. Would this matter to you if your getting a huge saving on the cost of the frame?

Comments

• nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I'd want at least a 1 year warranty if it's new and a some sort of crash replacement scheme is a bonus. I figure any manufacturing defect is likely to show up within the first year so I wouldn't really rate a 5 year warranty much more than a 1 year one, lifetime warranties are fairly meaningless IMO and only a couple of companies could really back them up.

It would have to be a pretty big saving (i.e. similar to second-hand light use pricing) for me to want to give up a 1 year warranty assuming the frame was £1000+
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Very important to me. I want at least 5 years with a lifetime being better as this does show confidence from the manufacturer in their product.

This is why when buying 2nd hand I like to see a big discount.
  • Gazzaputt wrote:
    Very important to me. I want at least 5 years with a lifetime being better as this does show confidence from the manufacturer in their product.

This is why when buying 2nd hand I like to see a big discount.

^
    This

2nd prices are crazy considering the lack of warranty available
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • After a cracked frame in a 2 yr old TT bike, which was replaced FOC under warranty, very important indeed.
  • After a cracked frame in a 2 yr old TT bike, which was replaced FOC under warranty, very important indeed.

What frame was it?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Warranties are a marketing gimmick and are typically an excuse for poor quality products - those that make the most of their warranties are often the worst for quality - Google Trek or Litespeed warranty issues if you need proof.
    Incredibly there's people still out there that think that a warranty covers them for their own incompetence or accidents.
    If you buy the right product, then chances are you won't need the warranty.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Warranties are a marketing gimmick and are typically an excuse for poor quality products - those that make the most of their warranties are often the worst for quality - Google Trek or Litespeed warranty issues if you need proof.
    Incredibly there's people still out there that think that a warranty covers them for their own incompetence or accidents.
    If you buy the right product, then chances are you won't need the warranty.

Are they? Viner frames come with a 5 year warranty and they're not a poor quality product. I think it's more a case of them putting their money where their mouth is. i.e they know they can offer a 5 year warranty because they know a very small percentage will come back.

Surely if a company makes a poor quality product they wouldn't offer a warranty because they'd end up out of pocket with that many frames going back?

It's a bit like saying car manufacturers warranties are a gimmick. We all know most cars are built to a good standard - but would we buy a brand new one without a warranty?
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    It's incredibly important if you need it - and pretty worthless if you don't!

What is your attitude to warranties in other areas? Do you buy new cars to get the warranty or second-hand ones to avoid the depreciation?

I'm not sure that bikes are much different to other consumer products.

I like warranties where they don't cost me anything. I buy most of my electronic goods from John Lewis, because they will price match and they give you a second year warranty free. I cannot recollect ever buying an extended warranty on anything.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    FWIW Viner don't make their top-end product, so probably just make it a contracted liability on their supplier - product breaks, supplier coughs-up.
    Spend years setting up business in the US where everyone wants a warranty and yet the quality of some products was appalling - it's an insurance policy that pays and people believe that getting a free-placement when the cr@p first one breaks is good service! Many European and Japanese mfrs focus on the getting the product right in the first place rather than covering their ar$e with a piece of paper.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Pigtail wrote:
    I I buy most of my electronic goods from John Lewis, because they will price match and they give you a second year warranty free.
    Err you automatically have a 2 year warranty on any product bought in the EU. they are not giving you anything extra.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown